Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

WARNING: keep your srcds.exe window minimized

Post New Thread Reply   

ichthys
Veteran Member
Old 05-30-2005 , 19:13   WARNING: keep your srcds.exe window minimized
Reply With Quote #1

For anyone who hosts their own server and has control over the machine and who is running in -console mode, try to keep your window minimized. Because quite a few eventscripts spam the console, it actually slows the whole thing down. It seems keeping the window minimized for me has sped things up.
Old 05-30-2005 , 22:56  
Reply With Quote #2

do you have any data to back up your theory?

i have always found they run best when NOT minimized, as windows will delegate less CPU cycles for minimized apps...
Send a message via MSN to ktrain
volmasoft
Old 05-30-2005 , 23:03  
Reply With Quote #3

If you setup your windows server so that both minimised programs and open programs have the same priority then there is no problem.

THATS A FACT.

Ich is right, when you have a window open, the updating of the screen with all of the junk that comes out at the moment will make the server use more power to update the window that to leave it in the background.

One fair point that has to be mentioned, only use VNC when necessary, don't leave open connections etc.

I personally run linux servers so I don't worry ;) (I just ssh in and out, then run everything in the background)
ichthys
Veteran Member
Old 05-30-2005 , 23:33  
Reply With Quote #4

my srcds process is set to abovenormal priority so that takes care of it not getting enough cpu time. I've just noticed a big difference when having it maximized and minized.
Especially on a player_death event. It would take slightly less than a second to register the kill. Thats with a long and complicated script that im trying or was trying to cut down.
Old 05-30-2005 , 23:46  
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichthys
my srcds process is set to abovenormal priority so that takes care of it not getting enough cpu time. I've just noticed a big difference when having it maximized and minized.
Especially on a player_death event. It would take slightly less than a second to register the kill. Thats with a long and complicated script that im trying or was trying to cut down.
I'm going to be taking the es_math spam out of the next version of ES, so that should help some.

-Mattie