Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

GUI In Development

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

DoubleTap
Veteran Member
Old 03-31-2004 , 22:59  

I have to agree... there have been many well intentioned attempts at updates or installers before... nothing better than having the source have options that good plugins programmers can also utilize.

ONLY code that has passed a harsh scrutiny will be included in the "plugins" menu for updaters that "us" admins can choose from... that would truly be the "next level of Half-Life Scripting"... touche' guys !

Vic/DT
Old 04-07-2004 , 06:42  

Ahhh, SmallEd..

ppl still bugs me abt this, also, if u looked at the page, beneith the STOP IT, there was a small note. Now, the page is completly down, and will not come up again.

However, this does not mean that I have stopped development of the editor, I am a very busy man, I work, I have a soon-to-be wife and somewhat I can call a life.

SmallEd is and have always been a hobby-project for me, and I give it a few hours now and then (also, we should not forget PM who helps me with some editor-stuff)

Thats all for now. hf.

--Que^
_KaszpiR_
AMX Mod X Beta Tester
Old 04-07-2004 , 06:53  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry
i disagree.
Think about big server farms. They know how to install it but when a new version comes out they are plagued by please upgrade my amxx to latest version (or will ;) ) think about how useful and how much time it will save these people for the auto update feature alone, not to mention the copy configs.

brilliant idea!
i doubt server farms will use gui
easier is to check diff files and spread it with backup program than run some exe on each

btw gui will prbably be for windowz lamers

i prefer zip cause i got very exotic installation and atuinstaller can be virused :/
Old 04-07-2004 , 15:30  

Infinite Servers uses AMXx as default for all of our servers. If done properly this could greatly decrease the amount of time it takes to install and configure each server. And would be infinitly helpful at performing updates which at times can be quite time consuming. If you do proceed with a web interface for it, it would be nice if it included a start, stop, restart for the server it's installed on as this seems to be the largest problems server companies are faced with. While we have this option and have avoided paying out the @$$ for a control panel it is still cumbersome to set up and manage. This could be a extremely useful tool for server admins and server companies alike. If we can assist in any way wether it be a donation for cokes and smokes while you work or testing please stop by our channel and PM either myself or Scarecrow, we'll be glad to assist in any way possible.
http://www.InfiniteServers.com
#infiniteservers
Send a message via AIM to Infinite|Zaius Send a message via MSN to Infinite|Zaius
scarecrow
Old 04-07-2004 , 16:08  

Kaz, the only person linux CS servers helps is the individuals running the servers : D.

I personally just preffer copying and pasting the necesary files from the update to all the servers... just the way I am. One thing that would definatly be useful is if the updating didnt overwrite all of the AMXX files, only the necessary ones. TSC came out with an auto updater back in the day... and it overwrote the entire directory : /. I trust that with BAILOPAN developing the installer it would be more intelligent.

To imbelish on what Zaius was saying... we do believe this would help to make AMXX more mainstream with the server companies who wont put an effort into becoming familiar with the newest AMX product.

You know BAIL, you could even make a business version of this which included some features that only server companies would need and charge for it. We get literally 2-3 ppl daily wanting to know where they can get a basic control panel for their servers, or even wanting ours.

This would both encourage AMXX spread, have a basic version to help noobs, have a corp version to help the suppliers, and help bring in revenue to actually give back a little to the developers who work so hard.

Just a thought, good idea either way.

Shane
Veteran Member
Old 04-07-2004 , 16:16  

So, those of us doing this at no profit are noobs and shouldn't get the same tools ?

Vic/DT
Never Fall Asleep
Old 04-07-2004 , 16:19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTap
So, those of us doing this at no profit are noobs and shouldn't get the same tools ?

Vic/DT
right!
AssKicR
Veteran Member
Old 04-07-2004 , 16:31  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freecode
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTap

Vic/DT
right!
i 2nd that

Got ??
Infinite|Zaius
Old 04-07-2004 , 16:42  

more than likely would'nt need what would be in a commercial version.
http://www.InfiniteServers.com
#infiniteservers
Send a message via AIM to Infinite|Zaius Send a message via MSN to Infinite|Zaius
AssKicR
Veteran Member
Old 04-07-2004 , 16:58  

the guy that came with the idea of making a version of AMXX that you can make money off should be shot in the head... AMXX is with a GNU license FFS

Got ??
Closed Thread