Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

DNS lookup in SourceMod broken on Debian Linux?

Post New Thread Reply   

SirCole
Old 04-17-2011 , 03:43   Re: DNS lookup in SourceMod broken on Debian Linux?
Reply With Quote #11

Sorry I was just poking around really, I'll explain properly what seems to be happening..

Basically from bash I can lookup the address fine and it resolves correctly, however since some unknown date sometime last year the updater just stopped working, it was never really a concern because I only ran one server on this dedicated server, the otehr 5 ran on a separate server.

Due to lack of money I've moved it all onto the server that has the issue, and when the last srcds update came through of course gamedata didn't update, but then I had to run a local copy at home to get the gamedata and it was annoying thus why I'm now trying to find a solution..

not sure of how much it helps, but the mysql ext manages to resolve hostnames fine.. and so do plugins using sockets, so I'm not sure it is just the gamedata updater..

and yes I've done fresh installs of everything before and just can't resolve it..

Cole
bestmeth0ds
SourceMod Donor
Old 04-17-2011 , 12:30   Re: DNS lookup in SourceMod broken on Debian Linux?
Reply With Quote #12

Same problem here on debian ...
WindPower
Old 04-17-2011 , 14:15   Re: DNS lookup in SourceMod broken on Debian Linux?
Reply With Quote #13

I had to update Metamod and SourceMod manually anyway due to the breaking TF2 update. No problems after updating.
(MM 1.8.7-hg764, SM 1.3.8-hg3131, Arch 64-bit)
SirCole
Old 04-17-2011 , 21:03   Re: DNS lookup in SourceMod broken on Debian Linux?
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindPower View Post
I had to update Metamod and SourceMod manually anyway due to the breaking TF2 update. No problems after updating.
(MM 1.8.7-hg764, SM 1.3.8-hg3131, Arch 64-bit)
Are you referring to updating SM and then MM and then manually updating gamedata files? cause thats what I had to do.

Either way your post is misleading.
WindPower
Old 04-17-2011 , 21:16   Re: DNS lookup in SourceMod broken on Debian Linux?
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCole View Post
Are you referring to updating SM and then MM and then manually updating gamedata files? cause thats what I had to do.

Either way your post is misleading.
TF2's "hatless update" broke Metamod (and probably SourceMod too). I didn't update the game data files, they were updated automatically with the hatless update, and that caused Metamod/SourceMod to become broken (as in completely broken, couldn't load them anymore)
So I reinstalled both Metamod and SourceMod (in that order), and now they work (they load, which is already an improvement) and I don't get the "Error: Couldn't resolve host 'update.sourcemod.net'" message anymore.

Last edited by WindPower; 04-17-2011 at 21:19.
SirCole
Old 04-17-2011 , 21:21   Re: DNS lookup in SourceMod broken on Debian Linux?
Reply With Quote #16

ahk, so you still have the same unable to resolve host error!

excellent!
WindPower
Old 04-17-2011 , 21:58   Re: DNS lookup in SourceMod broken on Debian Linux?
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCole View Post
ahk, so you still have the same unable to resolve host error!

excellent!
It seems we have a communication problem I'm going to try and say it again, chronologically this time:
  1. I had the "Error: Couldn't resolve host 'update.sourcemod.net'" problem since a long time ago. I didn't pay much attention to it, and didn't fix it.
  2. TF2's "Hatless Update", on April 14th, broke Metamod and SourceMod completely: Metamod could not load at all, the server ran without Metamod. This prompted me to visit these forums to look for a way to get them to work again.
  3. As I browsed the forum, I saw this thread. I remembered that I had had that problem prior to April 14th, so I posted saying that I had this problem.
  4. A few days later, I reinstalled Metamod and SourceMod using the latest versions. This made them work again, and the message "Error: Couldn't resolve host 'update.sourcemod.net'" didn't appear this time.
SirCole
Old 04-17-2011 , 22:09   Re: DNS lookup in SourceMod broken on Debian Linux?
Reply With Quote #18

oh okay

well I still have it over here with 64bit debian, and CS:S
Peace-Maker
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 04-19-2011 , 02:23   Re: DNS lookup in SourceMod broken on Debian Linux?
Reply With Quote #19

The gamedata updater is disabled in the snapshot releases. You have to update manually if you don't use an official release, so using that -dev versions didn't resolve your problem - sourcemod is just not checking for updates anymore;)
Old 04-19-2011 , 02:50   Re: DNS lookup in SourceMod broken on Debian Linux?
Reply With Quote #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace-Maker View Post
The gamedata updater is disabled in the snapshot releases. You have to update manually if you don't use an official release, so using that -dev versions didn't resolve your problem - sourcemod is just not checking for updates anymore;)
Peace-Maker, are you refering to WindPower here?