Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[L4D] ragequitter auto-ban

Post New Thread Reply   

HienoKaveri
Old 03-10-2009 , 10:59   [L4D] ragequitter auto-ban
Reply With Quote #1

Hi. I'm amazed nobody has made or even requested this type of plugin yet. The single one reason for ruining L4D versus games today is rage quitting. I run my own server and always have a team of a couple of friends, rest are random public players. It doesn't make a difference whether we start as survivers or infected, as soon as we reach the saferoom or wipe out the other team, at least one or two from the other team quit instantly. Remaining two players maybe wait for replacements (which the almighty matchmaking might or might not give them) or just quit also. Game over, atmosphere ruined. Set up new lobby, start game, only to see them quit again within 5 minutes.

Since valve didn't include any kind of reputation system, for god's sakes could someone else do it? Or at least some kind of system for automatically banning quitters?

I have thought about somehow copying everyone's steam_id when the game starts, then if they ragequit, add them to permanent ban list. I just don't have time to do this while playing myself (I always play on my own server, and no games are played if I'm not there because of the search_key). Once they have quit, I can't see their steam_id anymore and it's too late.

What we need is:
- When the game starts, each player is informed that quitting ruins the game for everyone else, and are warned that this server is monitoring rage quitting
- The Plugin is monitoring some key situations in the game, such as how much teams take damage, also end of round
- If someone quits at the end of a round, and are on the team who just lost that round, a "ragequit vote" is initiated
- If someone quits right after their team has taken a lot of collective damage, a "ragequit vote" is initiated
- Thresholds for above situations could be configured
- In a ragequit vote, People on the opposing team get a vote "Do you think player XXXX just ragequit? Y/N"
- If opposing team votes 50% or more Y, the quitter's steam_id is added to the rageban list.
- People on the rageban list are permanently banned on the server. If they try to join a game where they are ragebanned, they get a message "you have been banned for rage quitting on this server. If you believe this to be an error, please contact the server admin at [email protected]"

The list of ragebans could then be distributed among server admins, and they could advertise their servers as being "ragequitter protected".

Let's hear it.. and someone please, make it. I'd even be willing to shell some bucks for this type of plugin.

Last edited by HienoKaveri; 03-10-2009 at 11:00. Reason: modifying title
Lebson506th
Veteran Member
Old 03-10-2009 , 11:24   Re: [L4D] ragequitter auto-ban
Reply With Quote #2

And how would you tell the difference between "rage quitters" and people that just needed to leave?
DoD:S Admin Weapons

Links
Resistance and Liberation (A HL2 Multiplayer Modification)
HienoKaveri
Old 03-10-2009 , 11:28   Re: [L4D] ragequitter auto-ban
Reply With Quote #3

People tend to be polite and say if they need to leave (take dog for a walk, shag wife, other stuff). Besides it's extremely simple to spot a ragequitter. I'm refering to the aforementioned situations.
Lebson506th
Veteran Member
Old 03-10-2009 , 11:33   Re: [L4D] ragequitter auto-ban
Reply With Quote #4

Missed the vote thing... sorry.

Links
HienoKaveri
Old 03-10-2009 , 11:36   Re: [L4D] ragequitter auto-ban
Reply With Quote #5

So ya think there might be something here? I'm sure this wouldn't be too hard to code..
Lebson506th
Veteran Member
Old 03-10-2009 , 11:51   Re: [L4D] ragequitter auto-ban
Reply With Quote #6

Doing a ban vote when someone leaves is easy, it's just setting up the other constraints that would be harder.

Links
HienoKaveri
Old 03-10-2009 , 11:52   Re: [L4D] ragequitter auto-ban
Reply With Quote #7

Just to emphasize the need for this.. started another game 10 minutes ago. Just me and 7 random ppl. Had to close down the server and abort game after first round because of rage quitters. Damn this is depressing.
madcap
Old 03-10-2009 , 13:04   Re: [L4D] ragequitter auto-ban
Reply With Quote #8

While I respect an admin's right to do anything they want with their server I cannot stress enough how bad of an idea I think this is.

People leave all the time for all different reasons. No one notices in other games like TF2 because 1 man on team of 10-16 is no big deal but in L4D everyone notices because 1 man out of 4 is a big deal.

So lets say you start banning these people on your server. Within days you will have banned thousands of players. Some of them will have rage quit, some just left to get dinner.

Now players generally don't get to choose which server they connect to, they just join a lobby and it auto-picks the server. They will have no idea they are about to be connected to a server they have already been banned from and they won't even know why. They don't make it into the game. Now the people who do join successfully get in and see there is a player missing from their team. This just increases the odds they will quit right away (maybe they wanted to play as friends etc). Now you've just got 3 more rage-quitters banned which just prepetuates the cycle. The players will never even know they've been banned.

And that doesn't even begin to touch upon whether rage-quitting is a bad thing. You usually play with friends against pubs. This is what we call a pub-smash, it's so onesided there is no chance the pubs will win. Now it's your server so it's your right to pub-smash all you want. But I can't imagine the twisted logic you'd need to convince yourself that the pubs have to stay and put up with it or get banned.

People quit. It's bad in L4D only because the teams are so small and 1 guy makes a huge difference. It's just something you have to deal with. If you want to see less quitting try the following non-code related ideas:

Emphasize good sportsmanship. Trash talk makes people leave a lot faster.
Keep pub-smashes to a minimum.
Play with friends on both teams.

Regarding the idea of sharing banlists among server ops... PLEASE NO.
Did you see the firestorm caused by the TF2 honeypot plugin? That would be nothing compared to the mess you'd stir up with this.

I understand that you run a "private server" using a search key. Still, your getting a huge pub turnover every game you play. On our server we've gone through 20 pubs in one round. I'd be willing to wager that within a month or 2 you'd have banned half the regular VS player base.

Last edited by madcap; 03-10-2009 at 16:52.
santaclaus
Old 03-10-2009 , 18:27   Re: [L4D] ragequitter auto-ban
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
. Once they have quit, I can't see their steam_id anymore and it's too late.
Try "Retro ban" , search for it in approved plugin.

- When you're in lobby you can ask for ragequitter to leave bef4 you actually start the game.

MjrNuT
SourceMod Donor
Old 03-10-2009 , 19:29   Re: [L4D] ragequitter auto-ban
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcap View Post
People quit. It's bad in L4D only because the teams are so small and 1 guy makes a huge difference. It's just something you have to deal with. If you want to see less quitting try the following non-code related ideas:

Emphasize good sportsmanship. Trash talk makes people leave a lot faster.
Keep pub-smashes to a minimum.
Play with friends on both teams.
From a philosophy standpoint, I couldn't reiterate your same points any better!! How about...DITTO!

It sucks for the OP to be just too good at the game. How about challenging yourself/friends more by dragging a round out. Purposely see how close you can get the scores to be. Maybe that will float the ego a bit more since crushing is not enough as well, we know the result = RQ.

The game is smaller, as some ppl have said, thus that much more intimate and personable. Also, you have no idea if the other team works that well together. It just may be coincidence that you keep getting a string of opposing team that don't play as a team.

It is what it is and to be banned for RQ.....irrational. Why would you want a RQ to come back then? You would if they actually learned from it on their terms, not yours.