Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[L4D] Server side weapon mods

Post New Thread Reply   

Rifleman
Old 04-27-2009 , 16:05   [L4D] Server side weapon mods
Reply With Quote #1

I run a modded server for l4d and would like to make some weapon mods using the weapon script files.

I managed to have it so when people would connect the changes would be in place, but some of it would behave weird.
I changed the magazine sizes on some of the weapons, the new changes would show up for people when they connected, and would work for the most part.

Here's the most noticeable thing that happened. When the weapon's magazine was full with the new value, 20rounds for sniper. You could attempt to reload, and the animation would start, 15rounds would appear for a instant, then it would stay at 20 again. The complete reload animation would not play.

Reloading from a partial magazine worked fine, and would load the new value.

It didn't seem to hurt anything, it was just odd.

I edited the weapon script files on the server, then set it to non pure server for testing.
Everyone that joined had the changes, so I do believe a server side weapon mod can be made.

Has anyone else done any testing on this? I would like to make the weapons more realistic on my own server, without having everyone download files.

-Edit
Alright, I got this working, but the server uninstalled the mod itself. Like it checked for files that were not original, then replaced them. The mod was installed and working, then the server went down after a game, and couldn't be restarted for maybe 10min or so. Then when it came back online, the mod was gone.
Is there a way to keep it from auto updating itself?

Last edited by Rifleman; 04-27-2009 at 23:24.
danielsumi
Old 04-28-2009 , 08:02   Re: [L4D] Server side weapon mods
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
-Edit
Alright, I got this working, but the server uninstalled the mod itself. Like it checked for files that were not original, then replaced them. The mod was installed and working, then the server went down after a game, and couldn't be restarted for maybe 10min or so. Then when it came back online, the mod was gone.
Is there a way to keep it from auto updating itself?
Send a ticket asking your server host to remove the "-autoupdate" from the server startup command line. Should do the trick.
voogru
Inspector Javert
Old 04-28-2009 , 16:22   Re: [L4D] Server side weapon mods
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
Here's the most noticeable thing that happened. When the weapon's magazine was full with the new value, 20rounds for sniper. You could attempt to reload, and the animation would start, 15rounds would appear for a instant, then it would stay at 20 again. The complete reload animation would not play.

Reloading from a partial magazine worked fine, and would load the new value.
Client prediction, nothing you can do about it.
Juan Handsock
Old 05-04-2009 , 22:41   Re: [L4D] Server side weapon mods
Reply With Quote #4

I'm having a similar problem. I want to swap the pellet count between the pump and autoshotty and give the HR a little more penetration. Problem is, if I keep consistency on, it won't let clients connect. Can't I have them download the few text files necessary and make them use those for the duration of their stay?
danielsumi
Old 05-05-2009 , 04:59   Re: [L4D] Server side weapon mods
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Handsock View Post
I'm having a similar problem. I want to swap the pellet count between the pump and autoshotty and give the HR a little more penetration. Problem is, if I keep consistency on, it won't let clients connect. Can't I have them download the few text files necessary and make them use those for the duration of their stay?
Tbh i don't know. But they would never be able to play on any other server then yours unless they replace the files they downloaded.
raydan
Old 05-05-2009 , 05:16   Re: [L4D] Server side weapon mods
Reply With Quote #6

weapon script files?
you mean *.ctx file?

if it is, metamod or sourcemod can do it by changing "FileWeaponinfo_t" data (i forgot the real name)
it no need to edit *.ctx, just use program to do it
Juan Handsock
Old 05-05-2009 , 11:52   Re: [L4D] Server side weapon mods
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydan View Post
weapon script files?
you mean *.ctx file?

if it is, metamod or sourcemod can do it by changing "FileWeaponinfo_t" data (i forgot the real name)
it no need to edit *.ctx, just use program to do it
I looked through my sourcemod folder and I couldn't find any files like that.
I mean the weapon scripts in /l4d/left4dead/scripts/
delirium_trigger
SourceMod Donor
Old 05-06-2009 , 18:49   Re: [L4D] Server side weapon mods
Reply With Quote #8

Well you stated that you did not want to have people download the files but these are just small simple txt script files that are easy to download.

Setting the server to sv_pure 1 would make it much easier and there wouldn't be as many complications.

I host a modded server with many customizations such as increased clip size and increased max ammo. I also took the script for the Rifle and made it with no vertical punch, and no bullet spread.

These customizations with sv_pure set to 1 has caused no problems with the server and every joins quickly and without any errors what so ever.

Also, I have had many people enter my server, download the scripts with sv_pure 1 activated. After wards they were able to join a regular server without any problems.

Using sv_consistency 0 might work as well.

Last edited by delirium_trigger; 05-06-2009 at 20:24.