Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

"Alice" Dr. Randy Pausch, PhD - Computer Scientist

Post New Thread Reply   

slmclarengt
Veteran Member
Old 08-24-2008 , 05:15   "Alice" Dr. Randy Pausch, PhD - Computer Scientist
Reply With Quote #1

Many friends of mine here at school took Computer Science and had to use a program "Alice." There were swarms of complaints about it's stability, usability and functionality among others. Until recently I had no idea who was behind it which is when I found out it was Dr. Randy Pausch who was the "brains of the operation" at Carnegie Mellon. This is not meant to promote the use of the program, but to commemorate someone who deserves recognition. I do not and never did know him but I spent over one and a half hours listening/watching his last lecture. He recently passed away from Pancreatic Cancer.

I virtually never watch youtube videos or any online videos but I felt an immediate hook to watch his last lecture.

I figured these forums would be the most suitable place to mention him as he was a programmer (perhaps still is).

He was very motivational and gave some very well-formed advice on life as his life was winding down.

I don't have much to say about this because in order to get the real understanding, you should watch the video for yourself because he really seemed to be a truly spectacular person.

I came to my assertions upon only watching this video and researching who he was/is.

If you must be rude, I ask the thread just be closed because my only reason for this thread was for information and remembering someone who has and probably will "touch the hearts and minds of many."

Slmclarengt

Come play WC3:FT on BnD Clan Server! You know you want to: Connect to WC3:FT BnD - go ahead click me!
Lee
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-24-2008 , 12:36   Re: "Alice" Dr. Randy Pausch, PhD - Computer Scientist
Reply With Quote #2

Steve Jobs' 2005 Stanford Commencement Address
Old 07-06-2011 , 00:46   Re: "Alice" Dr. Randy Pausch, PhD - Computer Scientist
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmclarengt View Post
Many friends of mine here at school took Computer Science and had to use a program "Alice."

Slmclarengt
I know this thread is nearly three years old now but i was just wondering if you or anyone has found this program "Alice" to be helpful? I saw that it is a free program with a more visual approach on learning how to code.