Post New Thread Reply   

bottiger
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-12-2016 , 22:42   Re: TF2 Crashing After Update
Reply With Quote #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr!fter View Post
Wrong wrong wrong.

https://wiki.alliedmods.net/Gamedata...ng_(SourceMod) using the custom folder is the correct way to load gamedata that is custom.

Do not stop the updater from updating your files, you will most likely run into an issue at some point.

All SM's gamedata has been updated already in this case and should be on the updater.

tf2items isnt part of sm, it is a seperate extension maintained by asherkin, who controls the gamedata (which he will probably fix when he is awake). It happens to be on the gamedata updater, but its not official part of sm.
I tried using the custom folder a long time ago and it didn't work for some reason. Maybe it is fixed now?

Either way you do it, by making the file read only or using the custom folder, if you forget to undo the change, the result is the same.

I know that tf2items isn't a part of sm, but sourcemod is still overwriting the gamedata as though it was an official extension.

Last edited by bottiger; 10-12-2016 at 22:43.
jaguar1
Old 10-12-2016 , 22:50   Re: TF2 Crashing After Update
Reply With Quote #32

now everything is working
but when i try to open the admin menu it shows
[SM] You do not have access to this command.
i checked all admin files and everything is ok `-` so weird
Dr!fter
The Salt Boss
Old 10-12-2016 , 22:51   Re: TF2 Crashing After Update
Reply With Quote #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottiger View Post
I tried using the custom folder a long time ago and it didn't work for some reason. Maybe it is fixed now?

Either way you do it, by making the file read only or using the custom folder, if you forget to undo the change, the result is the same.

I know that tf2items isn't a part of sm, but sourcemod is still overwriting the gamedata as though it was an official extension.
there was issues with it before, i believe they are all sorted now.

The result is indeed the same but its a lot easier to spot that there is a custom dir with a file (it also now logs as of a few months ago that a custom gamedata is being loaded). Than a read only flag being set on a file.

I misunderstood. I sadly am not aware of a way i can update tf2items gamedata or else i would have already.

Last edited by Dr!fter; 10-12-2016 at 22:52.
bottiger
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-12-2016 , 22:58   Re: TF2 Crashing After Update
Reply With Quote #34

Quote:
there was issues with it before, i believe they are all sorted now.

The result is indeed the same but its a lot easier to spot that there is a custom dir with a file (it also now logs as of a few months ago that a custom gamedata is being loaded). Than a read only flag being set on a file.

I misunderstood. I sadly am not aware of a way i can update tf2items gamedata or else i would have already.
Yes it was broken for a long time. I've tested the custom folder and it seems to work now though.

Isn't the gamedata list saved somewhere on the alliedmods server?

I think it would be convenient to automatically have gdc automatically download the updates from the Steam depot and automatically update the gamedata. And then if there were any issues then someone could go back and manually override them.

https://github.com/alliedmodders/sou...ls/gdc-psyfork

Last edited by bottiger; 10-12-2016 at 23:01.
Dr!fter
The Salt Boss
Old 10-12-2016 , 23:01   Re: TF2 Crashing After Update
Reply With Quote #35

Quote:
Yes it was broken for a long time. I've tested the custom folder and it seems to work now though.

Isn't the gamedata list saved somewhere on the alliedmods server?

I think it would be convenient to automatically have gdc automatically download the updates from the Steam depot and automatically update the gamedata. And then if there were

https://github.com/alliedmodders/sou...ls/gdc-psyfork
yes, but i believe that it pulls the latest from the repo, which i cant push to.
Pitbull3
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-13-2016 , 00:34   Re: TF2 Crashing After Update
Reply With Quote #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearts View Post
Also this for TF2Items Gamedata (again not 100% sure if its correct but seems to be working on windows):

Code:
"Games"
{
    "tf"
    {
        "Offsets"
        {
            "GiveNamedItem"
            {
                "windows"    "473"
                "linux"    "480"
                "mac"    "480"
            }
        }
    }
}
Thanks for this, fixed all my servers like VSH & FF2. Appreciate it.

For the time being in core.cfg I've changed this until they get the numbers fixed on their end.

"DisableAutoUpdate" "yes"
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 10-13-2016 , 04:28   Re: TF2 Crashing After Update
Reply With Quote #37

The TF2Items gamedata has been updated.

For those of you following along at home, this update came out at 2am my time...

Quote:
yes, but i believe that it pulls the latest from the repo, which i cant push to.
Not automatically, the file can just be edited on web01.

Last edited by asherkin; 10-13-2016 at 04:32.
Pitbull3
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-13-2016 , 10:08   Re: TF2 Crashing After Update
Reply With Quote #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
The TF2Items gamedata has been updated.

For those of you following along at home, this update came out at 2am my time...

Not automatically, the file can just be edited on web01.

I figured whoever was in charge may be sleeping, no worries! Appreciate everything you do for us asherkin
Potato Uno
Veteran Member
Old 10-13-2016 , 11:12   Re: TF2 Crashing After Update
Reply With Quote #39

You know guys, it would be easier to find which functions' gamedata went stale if the console wasn't spammed up the ass with "Plugin not runnable". You can't even see in the console the SetFailState message due to bad gamedata because the spam of useless not runnable errors kicks it off the top of the srcds console in a matter of seconds (and the error log is full of 5+ MB of this bullshit).

It used to be possible to easily find bad gamedata by updating a sig and reload the plugin to see where it hits SetFailState next , but now this is impossible without removing all the dependent plugins first (which you will have fun figuring out what those are, since sm plugins list also gets kicked off the top by the spam, making it useless as well).

All I can say is, great work guys at making our lives in troubleshooting actual problems absolutely miserable when updates like these come around and break everything. Considering this never was a problem in SM 1.7 and SM 1.8 was moved to stable even with this problem, some high level decision making needs to be re-evaluated before being pushed. Or roll back whatever changes were made that introduced this in the first place.

Before someone gives the smartass answer of "fix your broken plugins" or "remove the troublemaker plugins", neither of these can be easily done or figured out because of this very problem.

Last edited by Potato Uno; 10-13-2016 at 11:16.
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 10-13-2016 , 12:50   Re: TF2 Crashing After Update
Reply With Quote #40

Quote:
This was already noted, but I would like to reiterate. Using the 'custom' is the preferred and supported way to override gamedata. In older SM versions (< 1.6?), it was not possible to do for a single gamedata file, only for ones that use folders (ex. sdktools.games, sdkhooks.game), but that has long been fixed.

Quote:
The updater actually updates for more unofficial extensions than official - just for ones maintained by the SM core team or that the team feels comfortable updating in a pinch.

Quote:
I think it would be convenient to automatically have gdc automatically download the updates from the Steam depot and automatically update the gamedata. And then if there were any issues then someone could go back and manually override them.
It would be very convenient, but there are multiple things that preclude it, including work on getting reliable offsets in gdc (such as by importing some of asherkin's vtable.js work), the capability of actually writing to or altering a gamedata file in gdc, hooking it up to actually be able to commit changes back to the repo, and having a way to trigger the updater to update it's gamedata cache automatically after the changes. Even after all of that, there is still some manual action, such as finding new signatures or symbols, find new offsets that aren't just used for virtual functions, handling optional game updates, etc.

A lot of work would be involved in improving it, and while a huge improvement, there would still be flaws and manual action. It's probably worth doing at some point, but time isn't infinite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato Uno View Post
You know guys, it would be easier to find which functions' gamedata went stale if the console wasn't spammed up the ass with "Plugin not runnable". You can't even see in the console the SetFailState message due to bad gamedata because the spam of useless not runnable errors kicks it off the top of the srcds console in a matter of seconds (and the error log is full of 5+ MB of this bullshit).
I can understand your frustration, and it's a two-way street. It is only triggered by plugins that have issues, but the errors should have been more meaningful at the least. Ideally, they wouldn't show up at all, the old behavior. That's why this was fixed a week or two ago in the stable branch.