Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[Fixed] minor/common Exploits

Prowler
Old 08-31-2004 , 19:55   [Fixed] minor/common Exploits

Just a few things i've noticed while playing the game.

Dropping and re-chosing heros.
you can drop a hero if you want to regain its power (dropping superman and re-choosing it to regain 150 hp for instance, or a very common one, dropping bomberman and re-choosing it, seems to apply for all heros) i did some looking in the code for SH and there DOES seem to be some sort of "protection" against it, namely if you drop superman and choose it again you only get 110 hp instead of 150, but this needs to be set and i didnt see any cvars for it and only found it whilst browsing the .sma of Shero mod. I do NOT think that this will stop things like dropping bomberman and re-choosing to get more bombs however, players can bind a key to "say /drop bomberman" and then just press a button to re-choose. I posted this suggestion for a "riddler" fix, so im sorry if it sounds re-dundant, just let me know if its now do-able. Making it so if you drop a hero in one round, that same hero can not be re-chosen until the following round. IE Dropping superman will leave you with superman being "greyed out" as a choice until the start of the next round.

Binding cyclops to mouse wheel
Im pretty sure this isnt the orginal intent of cyclops, therefore i classify it as an exploit, if you bind your mouse wheel's up and down scroll to +power1 (say power1 is cyclops) and then quickly move the mouse wheel up and down it lets you fire off 6 or so shots instantly. This basically makes it so no matter WHERE you hit the person it will be a one hit kill, If this IS the intent of cyclops then it should be made clear that it would be benifical to bind it to mouse wheel so that players can now the most effective way to ues it instead of a few players having one hit cyc whilst the rest wonder why they die so fast.

Thanks for your time, and keep up the excellent work! (i love your coding too, easy to read and understand, even a complete NOOB like me can get an idea of what is going on with it )
jtp10181
Veteran Member
Old 08-31-2004 , 20:06  

yeah that is a good point about dropping and repicking the same hero.... people could just pick superman in the middle of the round and get 150hp I belive. I could probably make it so that it will only give out the HP and armor bonuses at the start of a round. The bomberman thing i would have to adjust the code in that plugin but do basically the same thing. As for the rest of the heros.... its just bad coding. They should only be resetting all counts of everything at round start, not when a user first picks it. It does have a bad side effect that if someone is not trying to expliot the server they wont get to use the power until the next round. I will try to come up with something but I dont really like the idea of disabling heroes that were picked already and dropped.
Old 08-31-2004 , 20:14  

well, its not so much that the heros will "keep" powers after dropping them (baring batman, riddler) but if you get wounded down to 100, and have no heal for 100+ you drop superman (or in our server beast with hp of 175) and reselect it, regaining your 175 HP and 200 AP bonus.

Perhaps setting a cvar to combat this? give the admins a choice of turning on disable heros until next round? Most likely have it off by default.

Perhaps going a step futher and only allow hero selection during freezetime and when your dead? another cvar to enable/disable would be useful here too This could also perhaps stop people having one kind of hero (say bomberman) using him up, then dropping him, and choosing something else like cyclops or nightcrawler.
jtp10181
Veteran Member
Old 08-31-2004 , 20:43  

wow you just gave me a good idea.... instead of disabling the menu during gameplay though i could possibly make it so the new powers picked do not apply until the next round, although this would become complicated I think :/

It would have been a lot easier to correct these problems if the orginal heroes were coded good in the first place..... now we have all these extra heros that borrowed code from the orginal heroes which all have issues in them....

And speaking of batman..... you reminded me, I was going to make it so if you drop him it forces you to toss ALL your weapons on the ground. Only benifit would be one free gun and some grenades.

hmmm..... another good idea. What if we made it so that your cannot drop powers during a round, I think that would make more sense and be easier to code. It still would not solve the issue of people picking a hero like superman and getting full HP in the middile of the round but I could address that as well, and make the HP and AP bonuses ONLY get applied at new spawns instead o when you first pick them.

Well tell me what you think of my ideas, eventually we are bound to think of a good solution..... and BTW I was just about the rls a final AMX 0.9.8a versions... blah. This is going to create more bugs I just know it.
Veteran Member
Old 08-31-2004 , 21:01  

that sounds really good, maybe make it dependant on if player is alive drop command will not work and if player is dead or observer drop functions

Probably exactly what you meant but I like that idea, eliminate alot of exploits
Old 08-31-2004 , 22:19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtp10181
What if we made it so that your cannot drop powers during a round
I'm all for it...
Send a message via AIM to vittu Send a message via MSN to vittu Send a message via Yahoo to vittu
moose
Old 08-31-2004 , 23:55  

but then the specs wouldnt be able to choose powers during rounds...would they?
Send a message via AIM to moose
vittu
SuperHero Moderator
Old 09-01-2004 , 02:03  

he means disable drop when alive
Send a message via AIM to vittu Send a message via MSN to vittu Send a message via Yahoo to vittu
Prowler
Old 09-01-2004 , 04:35  

As far as i know Specs are classified as *DEAD* (we all know what a living spectator looks like, Zeus bug anyone? )

I think any one of those ideas would work, which one is entierly up to you and what is easiest to code.

A) Forcing players to Only /drop or select heros whilst dead or in Freeze time (or perhaps even a 10 second timer for servers with no freeze limit, if the player does not select a hero within 10 seconds it just adds the first hero in the list (if just leveled) or the last dropped hero

B) Force players to not select heros during a round, if you drop a hero you lose that slot until you die (problem with this is if a good player DOESNT die, he is forced to kill himself/get killed to get another hero)

C) Can select heros at any time but changes will not take effect until the next round ( You could either make it so that you can still drop a hero and have one less hero for the round or more depending on amount dropped, or you could set it so the player keeps all his heros regardless of drops/selections until next round

Out of all of these i think i prefer YOUR idea (C) i think its excellnt, but, whatever you come up with would be good
imported_TicoMeElmo
Old 09-02-2004 , 15:44  

I dont care if they do it not like your gonna die or anything only thing i care about is the resurrection bug how when they do spec player then i ban them from server

http://sh-server.tk 

Weirdest Conv of my life: Episode 1 | Weirdest Conv of my life: Episode 2 | Episode 3 Coming Soon, BBoY
Send a message via AIM to imported_TicoMeElmo