Plugin Game:
Team Fortress 2
Plugin Dependencies:
    Servers with this Plugin:

Plugin Description:
    A modern Jailbreak plugin for TF2 with enhanced map integration
    Old 10-19-2023 , 01:28   [TF2] Jailbreak From Scratch
    Reply With Quote #1

A jailbreak plugin I spent the last few weeks making because I was interested in writing one myself, and existing plugins didn't have the features that I was looking for or function how I'd like them to function.

The currently in-service jailbreak plugins are good, but I feel they are lacking a lot of map integration. As a jailbreak map maker I know some of the types of things that would be nice for a plugin to have that would integrate with the map, sort of features that people want but don't have. Jailbreak Redux was archived in May on github, meaning many of these features people may be wanting will likely not be added to redux. I didn't want to just fork it since this plugin was a learning process for me, so here we are. (The name Jailbreak From Scratch was chosen because it sounds catchy and a friend recommended it, it is not meant to imply this was done without any credit, inspiration, or help).

This plugin is inspired by Jailbreak Redux by Scag. I played on servers utilizing it for many years, and thus lots of features are very similar because I think it does most things right, and that should be preserved. Not trying to reinvent the gamemode here, so better to not fix what isn't broken. Being my first plugin, I read it frequently to learn how certain things were done, so there is some architectural overlap between the two plugins.

Features
    • All the regular jailbreak goodies. A warden system, freedays, last request, ammo removal, etc. Everything you need for the vanilla jailbreak experience.
    • Better overall map integration. Maps can define information using entities, that previously would be server config only, such as spawns during last request days.
    • Map-Specific last requests, which can be defined by map makers using logic relays.
    • Built in weapon blocker, with more control over when weapons can be given back
    • Built in mic checking. Enabled by default, will priority autobalance and prevent warden for players who don't have microphones (cvar for it if this feature isn't to your liking).
    • Built in weapon searcher. Enabled by default, allows guards to search prisoners for ammo
    • Plenty of configurable CVars to customize the plugin to your liking. I tried to include as many as I could think of.
    • Granular admin command permissioning. There are quite a few commands available to admins, and the permissions required for every single one can be set with cvars.
    • Round-based teamban plugin addon. A plugin which is more in line with my philosophy of how jailbreak should be played, in which teambans are issued and handled on a per-round basis instead of a minute by minute basis.
    • Gang Plugin addon. Allows players to segregate into gangs and have secret discussions, earn points, and purchase round based buffs.
    • VScript Support. Useful for maps that need to integrate with the plugin in some ways, such as maps that manage ammo uniquely in ways not detected by the plugin.

What's missing?
    While many of the features work similar to Jailbreak Redux, there are a few that are different or that I chose not to include.
    • Custom LR support. I did not add this yet because it's of my opinion that jailbreak does not need to be very LR focused, and from my experience playing the game many custom server LRs go unplayed. If this feature is requested enough it can be added.
    • Rebel status. I didn't get around to adding this, because I didn't find it necessary to play the game. Can also be added if frequently requested.
    • High quality developer support. Currently only some primitive teamban natives and a few other miscellaneous calls are exposed.

Installation/Configuring/Developer info
    I wrote a wiki on the github page which contains all you need to know about installing configuring, or developing with the plugin.

If you are a developer, before you get your hopes up - there currently is not a lot of integration baked in. The only exposed natives are related to teambans. I could not think of a very good reason why another plugin would need to be able to modify the core information about this plugin, thus no other natives are exposed. They can be added if requested.

For mappers, there is a section on the wiki detailing what to do in your map to integrate with the plugin, including VScript examples.

Requirements
    Thanks/Credits
    Scag, for TF2 Jailbreak Redux.
    FortyTwo, for the VScript plugin.

Github Repo
    Plugin Wiki

Last edited by no_username; 03-10-2024 at 01:28. Reason: Updating to v1.2 information
    eyal282
    Veteran Member
    Old 10-19-2023 , 08:48   Re: [TF2] Jailbreak From Scratch
    Reply With Quote #2

https://github.com/eyal282/csgo-jailbreak-package/

This plugin has existed for more time than CSGO exists, being ported from CS 1.6 as well.

It is highly polished and has a ton of features you can copy pasta.

Discord: Eyal282#1334
    no_username
    Old 10-19-2023 , 12:54   Re: [TF2] Jailbreak From Scratch
    Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eyal282 View Post
    https://github.com/eyal282/csgo-jailbreak-package/

This plugin has existed for more time than CSGO exists, being ported from CS 1.6 as well.

It is highly polished and has a ton of features you can copy pasta.
    The meta for TF2 Jailbreak is fairly different from CS, though I do see some features here that interest me, particularly the gang feature. I will consider making my own version of that and adding it to this plugin, since it seems pretty interesting and gives me ideas.
    q1085909155
    Old 10-20-2023 , 12:26   Re: [TF2] Jailbreak From Scratch
    Reply With Quote #4

Thank you very much. I am deeply sorry to find that Jailbreak Redux is no longer updated, which will deal a very serious blow to the jail of TF2, which means that there will be no further progress in the jail of TF2. I am very happy to see someone willing to take over the jail again. Thank you again and hope you can persist in improving it
    no_username
    Old 03-10-2024 , 01:30   Re: [TF2] Jailbreak From Scratch
    Reply With Quote #5

This has been a long time coming. I went through some months of being busy and having little motivation, then went ahead and cranked this out in a few weeks (sparsely).

I've released a fair update to the plugin. The main plugin has gone from v1.1 -> v1.2, and the timeout plugin from v1.0 -> v1.1.

Additionally, this release contains my take on the Gang plugin. I'm quite satisfied with it and I think it will be a fun addition to the gamemode. Even if it's only my servers that use it.

Last edited by no_username; 03-10-2024 at 01:30.
    Freddy210hill
    Old 03-12-2024 , 12:48   Re: [TF2] Jailbreak From Scratch
    Reply With Quote #6

This plugin looks interesting, the fact that it has support gives it a bigger reason to go for it.

The gang system sounds interesting

I'll give this plugin a shot on my new jailbreak I'm creating
    BBG_Theory
    Veteran Member
    Old 03-22-2024 , 08:10   Re: [TF2] Jailbreak From Scratch
    Reply With Quote #7

Thanks for your efforts and sharing your project. Freddy210hill and I installed this last night and it ran error free (Linux w/ current latest dev SM/MM)

I was hoping to be clear about the map configuration file maps.cfg. With JB-redux, in the mapconfig.cfg, we were concerned with the cell door name and also the cell door button name.
    If I understand the wiki correctly, with your /configs/jbfs/maps.cfg in JBFS, we are only concerned with the cell door's name and don't care about the cell door's button name.

Nice feature of the maps.cfg getting self configured per map upon it's running. Still have to add the coords of course, but nice feature the structure gets autogenerated.

Last edited by BBG_Theory; 03-23-2024 at 10:18.
    no_username
    Old 03-23-2024 , 15:08   Re: [TF2] Jailbreak From Scratch
    Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BBG_Theory View Post
    Thanks for your efforts and sharing your project. Freddy210hill and I installed this last night and it ran error free (Linux w/ current latest dev SM/MM)

I was hoping to be clear about the map configuration file maps.cfg. With JB-redux, in the mapconfig.cfg, we were concerned with the cell door name and also the cell door button name.
    If I understand the wiki correctly, with your /configs/jbfs/maps.cfg in JBFS, we are only concerned with the cell door's name and don't care about the cell door's button name.

Nice feature of the maps.cfg getting self configured per map upon it's running. Still have to add the coords of course, but nice feature the structure gets autogenerated.
    In Redux, the purpose behind putting the cell door name is such that the plugin will automatically lock the button if you put the name down, in favor of allowing the warden menu to do it. This wasn't a feature I added, though if it's something you're interested in let me know.

At some point I'd like to try and set up a nice default maps.cfg that will have most of the currently popular maps so servers can use it out of the box.

You might be the first server to add it in, so if there's any issues you come across or any features you think the plugin could use, please let me know
    Freddy210hill
    Old 03-29-2024 , 23:20   Re: [TF2] Jailbreak From Scratch
    Reply With Quote #9

Hi, in the jbfs.cfg on line 205. "should guards have crits"

when the value is set to 0 crits are still enabled for guards. I don't have other plugins that would impact this.
    no_username
    Old 03-30-2024 , 16:37   Re: [TF2] Jailbreak From Scratch
    Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freddy210hill View Post
    Hi, in the jbfs.cfg on line 205. "should guards have crits"

when the value is set to 0 crits are still enabled for guards. I don't have other plugins that would impact this.
    Identified the issue, I'll release a fix for this later today.