Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Reinstalling from scratch

Post New Thread Reply   

Larsen
Old 10-17-2011 , 20:26   Reinstalling from scratch
Reply With Quote #1

Our server's linux through gameservers, and I want to do it all over again. All the guides I found to do this either have the hlsupdatetool.exe for windows, or a bin file for linux and start from there. But I cannot run the linux bin file on this as it's a windows system. But I want to have all the base files on this sytem and upload that to the gameserver ftp first (alternate path) so that it's a smoother transition and our unit doesn't have to sit out without our server while we hit the 'reinstall' button through the gameservers.com UI. As you can guess, all the plugins through gameserver's UI are outdated so that's why I want to do this all from scratch on my windows machine first.

What am I missing? I didn't start the server, I was merely brought on to help so that's why I'm in the position I'm in. Would be most comfortable starting with the stock stuff and plugging in all the addons afterwards.

This is a DoD:S server btw. Should I just make a new directory on the FTP with slightly different path and run a batch file on there? How would I exec it on the ftp? Would like a little guidance is all and I apologize if this is a repeat.

meecrob
Old 10-17-2011 , 21:14   Re: Reinstalling from scratch
Reply With Quote #2

The easiest thing you could do would be to have your host re-install the server. Usually this is an option in your control panel. I believe that it will just erase the directory and reinstall from an image. Once this is done you can update the server and then install your mods/plugings (directly via ftp and NOT use their mod installer.) Typically the reinstall will only take a couple of minutes (with TCAdmin anyway.)
Old 10-18-2011 , 03:53   Re: Reinstalling from scratch
Reply With Quote #3

That is something I'm keeping in mind meecrob. How do I know what kinda admin they're using?

Quote:
Typically the reinstall will only take a couple of minutes (with TCAdmin anyway.)
But I am willing to download it all to my machine and do it from there if possible. What do you think about using a live cd for (this is what I have): Linux Mint, Ultimate Edition, and Saboyan. All x64, burnt late last year. Please tell me one of those runs on the linux 2.4 kernel needed for the linux scrds.

devicenull
Veteran Member
Old 10-22-2011 , 19:26   Re: Reinstalling from scratch
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsen View Post
As you can guess, all the plugins through gameserver's UI are outdated so that's why I want to do this all from scratch on my windows machine first.
Put in a ticket saying the mods are outdated and ask for them to be updated?
Old 10-22-2011 , 19:40   Re: Reinstalling from scratch
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
That is something I'm keeping in mind meecrob. How do I know what kinda admin they're using?

But I am willing to download it all to my machine and do it from there if possible. What do you think about using a live cd for (this is what I have): Linux Mint, Ultimate Edition, and Saboyan. All x64, burnt late last year. Please tell me one of those runs on the linux 2.4 kernel needed for the linux scrds.
Back when I had Gameservers the control panel had a "full wipe" option.

Why not just use that option? It should give you a vanilla server install with no mods.
Larsen
Old 10-22-2011 , 22:55   Re: Reinstalling from scratch
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by devicenull View Post
Put in a ticket saying the mods are outdated and ask for them to be updated?
Been tried my friend. Already been tried I do not have final say on where the server is located so getting them to change hosts is tricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodlvst View Post
Back when I had Gameservers the control panel had a "full wipe" option.

Why not just use that option? It should give you a vanilla server install with no mods.
Well, if it comes down to it, obviously this is an option. But I'm going to try uploading my stuff from scratch into a different folder so that whenever I want to try it I can just rename the root folder.

That should work right? Just rename root folder and restart it. That way I can look at the old one and pick and plop whatever I still need over to the new one, until I'm confident it's got all the mods/configs running again.

Will I need to change file permissions all over again? Or should they be the same as the old one if I copy/paste?

Bloodlvst
Old 10-22-2011 , 22:58   Re: Reinstalling from scratch
Reply With Quote #7

Renaming the root folder would essentially be the same as doing a full wipe I believe.
Larsen
Old 11-01-2011 , 12:01   Re: Reinstalling from scratch
Reply With Quote #8

TY Blood.

By the way, is there a thread or poll with gameserver providers? I really hate mine lol. So far I've heard artofwar is a good one and for good price. Gameservers.com is without say not very good.

I can google all day, but i figure this community would share my needs the most.

Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-01-2011 , 13:28   Re: Reinstalling from scratch
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
TY Blood.

By the way, is there a thread or poll with gameserver providers? I really hate mine lol. So far I've heard artofwar is a good one and for good price. Gameservers.com is without say not very good.

I can google all day, but i figure this community would share my needs the most.
One thing I can tell you: MultiPlay doesn't even give you FTP access; to install any addons, their team has to approve them (and install them for you).

Needless to say, they won't let me install addons that I personally wrote, which is a major "NO!" in my book.
I love purple
Old 11-01-2011 , 15:37   Re: Reinstalling from scratch
Reply With Quote #10

ask them to use the -verify-all option when updating, worked wonders for me in a previous update where the server kept crashing after 1 min of playing.