Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Question about NFOservers VDS

Post New Thread Reply   

8guawong
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-28-2017 , 22:34   Question about NFOservers VDS
Reply With Quote #1

Any1 have experience with the VDS from nfoservers?

I was thinking about using VDS from nfoservers (https://www.nfoservers.com/order-vir...ted-server.php) but have a few question that needs to be answered

1. can I use the VDS to host website instead of game server?
2. does it come with fastdl? can you upload directly to the fastdl?
3. on https://www.nfoservers.com/webhosting.php#differences it says included free with game server does a VDS count? is this the fastdl? so i can host website on the fastdl as well?

last question but off-topic is how to start a csgo community in the states? where to advertise? how to get servers populated?

Last edited by 8guawong; 09-28-2017 at 22:34.
GodOfWonders
Old 09-29-2017 , 01:14   Re: Question about NFOservers VDS
Reply With Quote #2

I am currently renting a VDS from NFO for my group. I made the swap because cost wise it made sense with us wanting to venture out and get a GO server. To answer your questions:

1) I believe you can but you would have to get an unmanaged VDS server which means they won't offer a lot of support if you have full control. I went the managed route and have full support anytime I need it and their support system is amazing.

2) and 3) The VDS does not come with fast d/l per se. The webhosting is not included with the VDS as it is with just out right renting a game server. I pay for the lowest hosting the offer per month for the webhosting so my servers have fast download. Their panel will allow you to set subdomains up for each game server you run and tell it to sync your game server each morning. This basically means you can set it and forget it. Any files that are changed on your server will sync up to the webserver the next morning or you can manually run the websync.

Last question I can't offer an answer to but any other questions about NFO you have I can probably answer them. I've been a customer with them for many years and out of all the places I've rented servers from they by far are the best I have used.
8guawong
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-29-2017 , 06:36   Re: Question about NFOservers VDS
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodOfWonders View Post
I am currently renting a VDS from NFO for my group. I made the swap because cost wise it made sense with us wanting to venture out and get a GO server. To answer your questions:

1) I believe you can but you would have to get an unmanaged VDS server which means they won't offer a lot of support if you have full control. I went the managed route and have full support anytime I need it and their support system is amazing.

2) and 3) The VDS does not come with fast d/l per se. The webhosting is not included with the VDS as it is with just out right renting a game server. I pay for the lowest hosting the offer per month for the webhosting so my servers have fast download. Their panel will allow you to set subdomains up for each game server you run and tell it to sync your game server each morning. This basically means you can set it and forget it. Any files that are changed on your server will sync up to the webserver the next morning or you can manually run the websync.

Last question I can't offer an answer to but any other questions about NFO you have I can probably answer them. I've been a customer with them for many years and out of all the places I've rented servers from they by far are the best I have used.
hello i was thinking of ordering the single core vds so if i want fastdl i need to add "Add separate webhosting" as well?

the reason i ask about direct access to fastdl is b/c i have an account / csgo server at eoreality right now and it have the fastdl sync feature but it bzip maps larger than 150mb which most client won't be able to download successfuly if they do not add -maxdownloadfilesizemb to their startup option
sneaK
SourceMod Moderator
Old 09-29-2017 , 11:36   Re: Question about NFOservers VDS
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8guawong View Post
hello i was thinking of ordering the single core vds so if i want fastdl i need to add "Add separate webhosting" as well?

the reason i ask about direct access to fastdl is b/c i have an account / csgo server at eoreality right now and it have the fastdl sync feature but it bzip maps larger than 150mb which most client won't be able to download successfuly if they do not add -maxdownloadfilesizemb to their startup option
You can use one of their unmanaged VPS's to host whatever you want (website, gameserver, etc). Install a linux distro and do the rest yourself. You can use that as a fastdl (just be careful that you don't go over with bandwith, or purchase more bandwith).

You can add their "separate webhosting", but be aware: it's hosted on the west coast (Seattle iirc), and speeds are fairly "limited". It's shared webhosting and I've never seen over 2.5mb/s down from it - I recently switched my fastdl from their webhosting to my VPS - my average download speeds are over 4x faster now. When you use their webhosting, you have direct FTP access and can upload the direct .bsp.

Last edited by sneaK; 09-29-2017 at 11:43.
8guawong
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-29-2017 , 11:39   Re: Question about NFOservers VDS
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaK View Post
You can use one of their unmanaged VPS's to host whatever you want (website, gameserver, etc). Install a linux distro and do the rest yourself. You can use that as a fastdl (just be careful that you don't go over with bandwith, or purchase more bandwith).
what if i add "Add separate webhosting"?
sneaK
SourceMod Moderator
Old 09-29-2017 , 11:43   Re: Question about NFOservers VDS
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
what if i add "Add separate webhosting"?
Oops, just edited my post, refresh
Old 09-29-2017 , 12:11   Re: Question about NFOservers VDS
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaK View Post
Oops, just edited my post, refresh
so do you know if http://fastdl.gflclan.com/csgo/ is the webhosting or the fastdl that comes with the game server?
gamemann
Veteran Member
Old 09-29-2017 , 13:58   Re: Question about NFOservers VDS
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
so do you know if http://fastdl.gflclan.com/csgo/ is the webhosting or the fastdl that comes with the game server?
GFL's FastDL server is hosted by OVH (Canada).

Thanks.

Check out my GitHub here!
Send a message via Skype™ to gamemann
8guawong
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-29-2017 , 22:11   Re: Question about NFOservers VDS
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamemann View Post
GFL's FastDL server is hosted by OVH (Canada).

Thanks.
ohh i didn't know gfl switched to OVH
i thought its still hosted on NFO

thanks for the info

Last edited by 8guawong; 09-29-2017 at 22:11.