Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

FF2 I Need Help With Model Creation

Post New Thread Reply   

LordHotPocketHomicide
Old 09-14-2017 , 22:53   I Need Help With Model Creation
Reply With Quote #1

A long time ago, an old friend who I have since had a falling out with taught me the basics of putting cosmetics onto a TF2 model, compiling it, and preparing it for Freak Fortress 2. As problematic as he was in the last month we were friends, I will always be grateful for his help.

However, the basics are not enough, as there are still a few problems I run into constantly.

Problem #1: Whenever I compile a Spy model, the head is always backwards. I have used this to my advantage in the past in creating The Unfinished and Corrupted Spy, but when it comes to making more advanced spy bosses, it becomes quite a problem.

Problem #2: Certain cosmetics will appear white, whereas cosmetics that don't always appear as the RED team variant, which tends to be a problem, since it's essential for a Freak to have blue cosmetics. Examples of both instances can be found in the images above.

Problem #3: Cosmetics that are located in the workshop folders of tf2_misc_dir are always untextured. This is, as you may imagine, painfully limiting, as almost all of the cosmetics in TF2 are located in the workshop folders of tf2_misc_dir. An example can be found below, along with the spy glitch.

If anyone knows how to solve any of these issues, please tell me down below. Alternatively, if you feel it may take too long to explain here and would rather do so in a Steam chat, please feel free to add me here.
Professional retard. I might borrow some code, but I always try to give credit when I do! If you've noticed I've borrowed some of your code, and you have a problem with that, please add me on Steam and let me know so I can correct the problem as soon as possible!
p0008874
Old 09-15-2017 , 06:16   Re: I Need Help With Model Creation
Reply With Quote #2

Hmmmm

Can you get me the all files?
PS: Sound's like you edited original Spy smd.

Last edited by p0008874; 09-15-2017 at 07:10.
LordHotPocketHomicide
Old 09-15-2017 , 13:41   Re: I Need Help With Model Creation
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0008874 View Post
Hmmmm

Can you get me the all files?
PS: Sound's like you edited original Spy smd.
What do you mean by original Spy SMD? Is there a newer version I'm supposed to use?

And sure thing, I'll add you on Steam and send you the links to the boss files.
Professional retard. I might borrow some code, but I always try to give credit when I do! If you've noticed I've borrowed some of your code, and you have a problem with that, please add me on Steam and let me know so I can correct the problem as soon as possible!
p0008874
Old 09-16-2017 , 02:59   Re: I Need Help With Model Creation
Reply With Quote #4

Done.
PS: Is fine you see white skin. It always happen hlmv.
Still working in the game.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Spyice.zip (917.8 KB, 110 views)

Last edited by p0008874; 09-16-2017 at 03:10.
JuegosPablo
Veteran Member
Old 09-16-2017 , 14:31   Re: I Need Help With Model Creation
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHotPocketHomicide View Post
What do you mean by original Spy SMD? Is there a newer version I'm supposed to use?

And sure thing, I'll add you on Steam and send you the links to the boss files.
also if you imported spy model on blender gonna have that bug
My Discord: JuegosPablo#0568
LordHotPocketHomicide
Old 09-16-2017 , 15:27   Re: I Need Help With Model Creation
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0008874 View Post

Done.
PS: Is fine you see white skin. It always happen hlmv.
Still working in the game.
Thanks! I'll get working on the CFG and sounds now.
LordHotPocketHomicide
Old 09-16-2017 , 15:29   Re: I Need Help With Model Creation
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuegosPablo View Post
also if you imported spy model on blender gonna have that bug
Interesting. Is there any other way I can apply cosmetics to spies without using Blender, then?
MeeMFromHH
Old 09-16-2017 , 16:03   Re: I Need Help With Model Creation
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Interesting. Is there any other way I can apply cosmetics to spies without using Blender, then?
Find the cosmetic models you want, decompile all of them, bring all the smd's to the same folder as the class's model, and in the class's qc file, add a bodygroup for each cosmetic.

For example: You wanna add the Templar's Spirit and Wings of Purity to a Medic (a thing that was done to create my Templar boss)

You scroll down to find the part where the bodygroups are. Normally, you'll find for the medic

$BodyGroup "medic_backpack"
{
studio "medic_body1_model0.smd"
blank
}

This is the bodygroup for his backpack. Create new ones for each of the cosmetics.

$BodyGroup "insert random name here"
{
studio "cosmetic_name.smd"
}

If the cosmetic has extra LODs, you're gonna want to add these as well.

For the Medic, an example of LOD is this:

$LOD 11
{
replacemodel "medic_body0_model0.smd" "medic_body0_model0_lod1.smd"
replacemodel "medic_body1_model0.smd" "medic_body1_model0_lod1.smd"
}

There are more LODs in a qc. Just go to the cosmetic's qc to see if it has extra LODs that you need to put in.

To finish, go down to the materials path and add the path the cosmetics need to use their textures.
The Medic has these:

$CDMaterials "models\player\medic\"
$CDMaterials "models\player\items\all_class\"

Just keep adding an extra line for each path that you need the cosmetics to take.
Now I don't know if it's necessary or not, but it's always a good idea to leave a blank path:

$CDMaterials ""

Right below that, we have the $TextureGroup "skinfamilies" bit. These specify exactly what textures the models are gonna need.
If your cosmetic's qc doesn't have that part, you can just ignore it for the cosmetic, but usually this part's present, so what you'll want to do is this:

A Medic has this many files in his $TextureGroup part:

$TextureGroup "skinfamilies"
{
{ "medic_red" "medic_head_red" "eyeball_r" "eyeball_l" "medic_backpack_red" }
{ "medic_blue" "medic_head_blue" "eyeball_r" "eyeball_l" "medic_backpack_blue" }
{ "medic_red_invun" "medic_head_red_invun" "eyeball_invun" "eyeball_invun" "..\..\effects\invulnfx_red" }
{ "medic_blue_invun" "medic_head_blue_invun" "eyeball_invun" "eyeball_invun" "..\..\effects\invulnfx_blue" }
{ "medic_red_zombie_alphatest" "medic_head_zombie" "eyeball_zombie" "eyeball_zombie" "medic_backpack_red" }
{ "medic_blue_zombie_alphatest" "medic_head_zombie" "eyeball_zombie" "eyeball_zombie" "medic_backpack_blue" }
{ "medic_red_zombie_invun" "medic_head_red_invun" "eyeball_invun" "eyeball_invun" "..\..\effects\invulnfx_red" }
{ "medic_blue_zombie_invun" "medic_head_blue_invun" "eyeball_invun" "eyeball_invun" "..\..\effects\invulnfx_blue" }
}

That's a lot, but all the class models use a lot of textures. You can remove the last 4 lines because you won't need them. If your boss is going to be ubercharged, leave the 3rd and 4th lines untouched. If not, you can remove them.
The cosmetic models follow the same rule: The first line is for RED skins, the second is for BLU skins. Copy and paste them in their respective lines. Don't forget that each file name needs to be in between quotes.

Then once you're ready, make sure everything is in the same folder and all the info on the qc is correct, then compile.

And you're done!

Last edited by MeeMFromHH; 09-16-2017 at 16:11.
LordHotPocketHomicide
Old 09-16-2017 , 19:09   Re: I Need Help With Model Creation
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeMFromHH View Post
Find the cosmetic models you want, decompile all of them, bring all the smd's to the same folder as the class's model, and in the class's qc file, add a bodygroup for each cosmetic.

For example: You wanna add the Templar's Spirit and Wings of Purity to a Medic (a thing that was done to create my Templar boss)

You scroll down to find the part where the bodygroups are. Normally, you'll find for the medic

$BodyGroup "medic_backpack"
{
studio "medic_body1_model0.smd"
blank
}

This is the bodygroup for his backpack. Create new ones for each of the cosmetics.

$BodyGroup "insert random name here"
{
studio "cosmetic_name.smd"
}

If the cosmetic has extra LODs, you're gonna want to add these as well.

For the Medic, an example of LOD is this:

$LOD 11
{
replacemodel "medic_body0_model0.smd" "medic_body0_model0_lod1.smd"
replacemodel "medic_body1_model0.smd" "medic_body1_model0_lod1.smd"
}

There are more LODs in a qc. Just go to the cosmetic's qc to see if it has extra LODs that you need to put in.

To finish, go down to the materials path and add the path the cosmetics need to use their textures.
The Medic has these:

$CDMaterials "models\player\medic\"
$CDMaterials "models\player\items\all_class\"

Just keep adding an extra line for each path that you need the cosmetics to take.
Now I don't know if it's necessary or not, but it's always a good idea to leave a blank path:

$CDMaterials ""

Right below that, we have the $TextureGroup "skinfamilies" bit. These specify exactly what textures the models are gonna need.
If your cosmetic's qc doesn't have that part, you can just ignore it for the cosmetic, but usually this part's present, so what you'll want to do is this:

A Medic has this many files in his $TextureGroup part:

$TextureGroup "skinfamilies"
{
{ "medic_red" "medic_head_red" "eyeball_r" "eyeball_l" "medic_backpack_red" }
{ "medic_blue" "medic_head_blue" "eyeball_r" "eyeball_l" "medic_backpack_blue" }
{ "medic_red_invun" "medic_head_red_invun" "eyeball_invun" "eyeball_invun" "..\..\effects\invulnfx_red" }
{ "medic_blue_invun" "medic_head_blue_invun" "eyeball_invun" "eyeball_invun" "..\..\effects\invulnfx_blue" }
{ "medic_red_zombie_alphatest" "medic_head_zombie" "eyeball_zombie" "eyeball_zombie" "medic_backpack_red" }
{ "medic_blue_zombie_alphatest" "medic_head_zombie" "eyeball_zombie" "eyeball_zombie" "medic_backpack_blue" }
{ "medic_red_zombie_invun" "medic_head_red_invun" "eyeball_invun" "eyeball_invun" "..\..\effects\invulnfx_red" }
{ "medic_blue_zombie_invun" "medic_head_blue_invun" "eyeball_invun" "eyeball_invun" "..\..\effects\invulnfx_blue" }
}

That's a lot, but all the class models use a lot of textures. You can remove the last 4 lines because you won't need them. If your boss is going to be ubercharged, leave the 3rd and 4th lines untouched. If not, you can remove them.
The cosmetic models follow the same rule: The first line is for RED skins, the second is for BLU skins. Copy and paste them in their respective lines. Don't forget that each file name needs to be in between quotes.

Then once you're ready, make sure everything is in the same folder and all the info on the qc is correct, then compile.

And you're done!
I just tested it out, and this method is absolutely incredible. Not only does it fix almost all of my problems, but it's quicker and much easier than my old method. I cannot thank you enough.
MeeMFromHH
Old 09-16-2017 , 19:24   Re: I Need Help With Model Creation
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
I just tested it out, and this method is absolutely incredible. Not only does it fix almost all of my problems, but it's quicker and much easier than my old method. I cannot thank you enough.
No problem. I am more than happy to help