Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Switching Windows to Linux

Post New Thread Reply   

Zephyrus
Cool Pig B)
Old 08-08-2013 , 01:46   Re: Switching Windows to Linux
Reply With Quote #21

with several years of linux experience on both desktop and server, i would recommend using centos (or rhel), but if you dont know anything about linux, dont even get a dedicated machine for now, not even with debian/ubuntu, take a month, install a virtual machine on your pc, mess with it. if you dont know what you are doing linux wont do anything good to your servers. if you want to tinker with the kernel (dont do it unless you know what you are doing and why), you should mess with preemption and ticks. if you dont understand what i just said, then dont mess with the kernel at all for now. if you install a virtual machine on your pc and try centos and end up having to disable selinux because you just cant make your stuff work with it being in enforcing mode, then either spend more time figuring out the problem, or just use debian. if anyone needs help with linux, feel free to PM me here or add me on steam, also a few general tips, that you should expect from GSPs (they dont do these really, its a high security risk) and that you should keep in mind for your own machines too:

-chmod everything correctly
-use different user (favorably with /bin/false shell) for every server
-never run anything as root
-if you make your own control panel to control the servers, NEVER EVER USE ROOT LOGIN TO SSH INTO THE MACHINE
-if you decide to pay for a control panel, make sure it uses seperate users for seperate servers and that it doesnt use root to mess with your machine

Last edited by Zephyrus; 08-08-2013 at 01:47.
Ade
I love purple
Old 08-08-2013 , 03:50   Re: Switching Windows to Linux
Reply With Quote #22

I don't remember the distro, had someone else install it or maybe the host, sorry. But yea, no optimization and worked ok. I only messed with web stuff for fastdl, some simlinks, don't remember installing much, but I had help

I agree with zephirus' first 3 points and I tried to make my own cpanel but being noob at php I failed to send any command to the server through a simple web page lol so i recommend paid cpanel
but don't understand no5, separate users for separate servers, I'm sure I can rent 3 diff servers but all can be registered under my one user in the cpanel

Last edited by Ade; 08-08-2013 at 03:54.
Zephyrus
Cool Pig B)
Old 08-08-2013 , 04:29   Re: Switching Windows to Linux
Reply With Quote #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade View Post
I don't remember the distro, had someone else install it or maybe the host, sorry. But yea, no optimization and worked ok. I only messed with web stuff for fastdl, some simlinks, don't remember installing much, but I had help

I agree with zephirus' first 3 points and I tried to make my own cpanel but being noob at php I failed to send any command to the server through a simple web page lol so i recommend paid cpanel
but don't understand no5, separate users for separate servers, I'm sure I can rent 3 diff servers but all can be registered under my one user in the cpanel
i meant linux users, cpanel user can be the same, so if any of the servers get compromised they cant access anything else
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-08-2013 , 15:17   Re: Switching Windows to Linux
Reply With Quote #24

I use ubuntu and love it so far. Been getting seg faultseven on a vanilla server with mm and amxx
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 08-08-2013 , 15:33   Re: Switching Windows to Linux
Reply With Quote #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-Holiday View Post
vanilla server with mm and amxx
Something is wrong with this statement.
Old 08-08-2013 , 16:39   Re: Switching Windows to Linux
Reply With Quote #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-Holiday View Post
vanilla server with mm and amxx
I like ice cream on my nachos too! Logic go bye bye now.
Last edited by ; Today at 08:20 AM. Reason: Get rid of s
Jargon
SourceMod Donor
Old 08-08-2013 , 16:48   Re: Switching Windows to Linux
Reply With Quote #27

I've had a couple of VPS' for a couple of years now running CentOS and Debian so I'm confident enough with Linux now that most of that either made sense or was obvious, I appreciate the tips!

Ive read that CentOS is mainly preferred in the web hosting business because of it's stability but I wasn't sure if that counted for or against it when hosting game servers on new hardware, but it sounds like I should stick with that. Thanks guys!
Doc-Holiday
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-09-2013 , 04:02   Re: Re: Switching Windows to Linux
Reply With Quote #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
Lol. I'm half a sleep these days posting .. remove vanilla it's fine and my csgo mms sm servers run no issues