12% 

server box?

Post New Thread Reply   

striker07
Veteran Member
Old 03-07-2012 , 19:51   server box?
Reply With Quote #1

hello,

Does anyone have expierence with hosting servers from a server box?
is it possible to host multiple servers for counterstrike from 1 server box,
how does it work exactly? any recommended hardware performances for if i'd like to have multiple servers running from the server box?

greets
Rirre
Veteran Member
Old 03-08-2012 , 05:26   Re: server box?
Reply With Quote #2

All depends on what for game servers you want to put on it and how many slots on each.
Also, have the required bandwidth to hold so many players.
Good to know your max budget before we go any further on it.

Myself, I stick to Dell. Had a couple of Dell PowerEdge 1950 (II+III) servers with 2x Quad-Core processors (2,3-2,6 and 3,33 GHz), 8-16 GB RAM, none of them never reached to a high usage. But I have reach up to 104 players on one of them so I know it can handle more than *2 more without any problems.
Dell PowerEdge R300 with Intel Xeon Quad-Core X5470, 8+ GB RAM is also a powerful monster.

But unit servers should not be used for home enviroment unless if you gonna put them in to your garage or so.
They is so loud, like an airplane (search on youtube and you may find videos which is recorded in a Data center, just listen to the background).
striker07
Veteran Member
Old 03-08-2012 , 06:00   Re: server box?
Reply With Quote #3

my price range is something around 1000$ max,
I would use the server to host gameservers (dedicated or listen not sure if this is what you mean).
At least 3 servers and the option to have 1 or 2 more and i want to be able to host website from it too,
the slots are gonna be around 16-32 players.

I'm defenitly not gonna put the server box in my room
prob in my bureau, not in my garage cous its not isolated, the temperature goes below zero there sometimes so that wouldnt be such a good idea i think
Rirre
Veteran Member
Old 03-08-2012 , 06:22   Re: server box?
Reply With Quote #4

I meant any game which do and not use GoldSrc.

Accually, it is a good idea if the temperature is zero (more or less).
Otherwise, low-powered CPU and silent cooler. No need with a additional cooler with a power supply which draw out some air (depend on the temperature in the room you gonna place it).

Last edited by Rirre; 03-08-2012 at 06:22.
Baghi
Old 03-08-2012 , 09:31   Re: server box?
Reply With Quote #5

Rirre. How does this multiple server concept works? I mean, do we've to run the servers using screen on Linux with different ports or you recommend something like XEN or VirtualBox? Just curious to know. Why people use VPS? And is a game hosting CP (like GameCP and such) is recommended for home servers?
Old 03-08-2012 , 16:50   Re: server box?
Reply With Quote #6

for now im gonna use it for condition zero only later on when the new cs comes out i might make a server for that.

hm ok but then again in the summer temparatures run up to +30 degrees in there, I was thinking about placing it in my bureau (normal temp), does a server box with al other stuff like cooler use a lot of power? Will i notice a big change on my bill?

Like baghi asked too, how does it work exactly? I know nothing about this, if you know a page where I can inform myself for the basic usage and how to set it all up that would be nice

thanks in advance
Old 03-08-2012 , 17:20   Re: server box?
Reply With Quote #7

An aftermarket cooler doesn't draw much power, if you don't like noise at all then the're fanless options too, something like Thermalright HR-02 and such.

As far as electricity bill is concerned, get a GOLD rated or even Platinum certified PSU for your server; more efficiency = less electricity usage. SeaSonic produces some of the fanless power supplies, might as well go for it.
Veteran Member
Old 03-08-2012 , 17:33   Re: server box?
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baghi View Post
Rirre. How does this multiple server concept works? I mean, do we've to run the servers using screen on Linux with different ports or you recommend something like XEN or VirtualBox? Just curious to know. Why people use VPS? And is a game hosting CP (like GameCP and such) is recommended for home servers?
Do you mean remote desktop with "using screen on Linux"?
You can do that way with Windows also with the in-built Windows Remote Desktop.
If you don't want to use OS in-built remote access, install a 2nd remote access program to access your computer outside of your home.

Usually/most providers provide 1 (or more) IP per client.
If your ISP/hosting company do not provide more than 1 IP to you, you have to use different port.

I don't see any reason to virtualize your computer to run multiple operation systems unless you are planning to share the computers hardware with others.
Search for more information about it and the risks.

VPS is designed to be an economical alternative for those who require more resources and wish to administrate their own server.
Works the way like you have a computer. But, the hardware is shared to other clients too.
But has a high degree of privacy when the areas are separated in that each client has its own operating system.

If you're not traveling much and have access to your computer at home most of the time there is no need to install a game server panel.
Just use a game server monitor.
But it is fun to explore with a panel so use it if you wish.

Last edited by Rirre; 03-08-2012 at 17:42.
striker07
Veteran Member
Old 03-08-2012 , 17:53   Re: server box?
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baghi View Post
An aftermarket cooler doesn't draw much power, if you don't like noise at all then the're fanless options too, something like Thermalright HR-02 and such.

As far as electricity bill is concerned, get a GOLD rated or even Platinum certified PSU for your server; more efficiency = less electricity usage. SeaSonic produces some of the fanless power supplies, might as well go for it.
ty,
do you or rirre know a good site or thread that explains alot of using server boxes to host gameservers for goldsrc?
Rirre
Veteran Member
Old 03-08-2012 , 18:04   Re: server box?
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker07 View Post
ty,
do you or rirre know a good site or thread that explains alot of using server boxes to host gameservers for goldsrc?
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/, this site is HUGE for such discussions.
Some game server providers which also provide dedicated servers is open for discussions about it at their forum.
Such as http://www.killercreation.co.uk