Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Reducing lag srcds

Post New Thread Reply   

@echo off
Old 07-30-2010 , 17:08   Reducing lag srcds
Reply With Quote #1

I have a dedicated server hosted in a uk data center, i've created three srcds all using Counter-Strike Source and everything is working fine. Everyone can connect and there are no errors. But, i am having a small problem with some people lagging, its not serious lag. I don't lag at all myself because i live in the UK. But these people are lagging with only 4 people on the server, they have good connections, i've checked.

Is there anything i can do to reduce the lag? Maybe changing the srcds bandwidth/rate settings? Or changing the fpsmax? I heard that also reduces lag. Here are the server specs e.x ...

Code:
Processor: 2.8GHz Dual Core
CPU Cores: 2
Hard drive: 500GB SATA
RAM: 2GB

Connection: 100Mbps
Bandwidth: Unlimited
IP Addresses: 2

Operating System: Ubuntu 9 64-Bit
I'm using these bandwidth/rate settings for all the servers

Code:
sv_maxupdaterate 120
sv_minupdaterate 20
sv_maxrate 25000
sv_minrate 2000
I have three servers, 1 x 40 slot, 2 x 24 slot.
Nephyrin
SourceMod Donor
Old 07-30-2010 , 17:49   Re: Reducing lag srcds
Reply With Quote #2

What's their ping when lagging?

Does net_graph 4 show any gaps in the graph, or a low update rate, or a high var?
Lob (UK
Veteran Member
Old 07-30-2010 , 18:07   Re: Reducing lag srcds
Reply With Quote #3

CSS uses more resources now that it is OB, bit like TF2. Have a check on the Resource usage with all 3 Servers running, particularly the 40 Slot one, just so you knows its all fine.

Setting decent Max/Min Server rates will also help a lot.

Try these for 66 Tick

Code:
sv_maxrate 25000   
sv_minrate 13000           
sv_maxupdaterate 67  
sv_minupdaterate 33  
sv_maxcmdrate 67                     
sv_mincmdrate 33
- Lob (UK)
@echo off
Old 07-30-2010 , 19:57   Re: Reducing lag srcds
Reply With Quote #4

The person averages about 122 ms, the link below shows net_graph 4 in action. I don't see any gaps, but shouldn't that 33 that i circled be higher than that? I had 10 bots on there and it went to a max of 34. I don't know if thats good or normal.

Image: http://www.badnetwork.net/images/other/net_graph_4.jpg

I added those new rates and i think it actually helped, i saw a small decrease in ping. I was usually at about 80ms and now i'm at around 70.

All CSS servers are by default 66 tick right? Just to confirm , they removed -tickrate from the command line if i'm not mistaken?
Lob (UK
Veteran Member
Old 07-30-2010 , 20:03   Re: Reducing lag srcds
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by @echo off View Post
All CSS servers are by default 66 tick right? Just to confirm , they removed -tickrate from the command line if i'm not mistaken?
Yep, that is correct.

- Lob (UK)
Lob (UK
Veteran Member
Old 07-30-2010 , 20:10   Re: Reducing lag srcds
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
The person averages about 122 ms, the link below shows net_graph 4 in action. I don't see any gaps, but shouldn't that 33 that i circled be higher than that? I had 10 bots on there and it went to a max of 34. I don't know if thats good or normal.

Image: http://www.badnetwork.net/images/other/net_graph_4.jpg
The Rates being used in that screenshot are around 30 which used to be the default prior to the OB Update.

Ask the Client to bring down the console in game and submit these and check net_graph again and see if their performance is any better.

rate 25000
cl_updaterate 66
cl_cmdrate 66

- Lob (UK)
@echo off
Old 07-30-2010 , 20:48   Re: Reducing lag srcds
Reply With Quote #7

I tried them in game and saw a performance increase for myself. If i add those to the server.cfg will it be forced on players who join?
Lob (UK
Veteran Member
Old 07-30-2010 , 21:41   Re: Reducing lag srcds
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
I tried them in game and saw a performance increase for myself. If i add those to the server.cfg will it be forced on players who join?
The last settings i posted are Client Settings and not for putting in the server.cfg.

The Server Settings that go in the server.cfg are the ones i posted previously i.e

server.cfg

sv_maxrate 25000
sv_minrate 13000
sv_maxupdaterate 67
sv_minupdaterate 33
sv_maxcmdrate 67
sv_mincmdrate 33

To explain how this all works in a bit more detail, the Max/Min Rates you set in the server.cfg define what the Server will allow. Clients that are Higher or Lower than the Server Max/Min Rates are temporarily forced to the most appropriate setting whilst they are connected to the Server. This is handled by the Server and without physically altering anything in the clients config. It is just while they are connected to that particular Server.

Here is an example.

Lets say the Server is confgured with the above Server Max/Min Rates and then a Client connects with these Client Rates

rate 30000
cl_updaterate 100
cl_cmdrate 100

Then the Server will temporarily force this Client to the following settings whilst they are connected to the Server.

rate 25000
cl_updaterate 67
cl_cmdrate 67

Rate checkers such as ma_rates check the Clients config file and should be ignored because that is not necessarily what Clients are getting when connected to the correctly configured Server.

It is always better to have some scope in your Server Max/Min Rates to cater for different Clients. Not everyone has the same capabilties.

- Lob (UK)

Last edited by Lob (UK; 07-30-2010 at 21:52.
@echo off
Old 07-31-2010 , 09:48   Re: Reducing lag srcds
Reply With Quote #9

Thanks for this information, i will get back to you and tell you if the client has any luck with these new server/client settings.

Last edited by @echo off; 07-31-2010 at 09:53.
sinblaster
Grim Reaper
Old 07-31-2010 , 20:24   Re: Reducing lag srcds
Reply With Quote #10

Is there any advice for these settings at all from anyone please?
At present my interp settings are as follows:

cl_interp 0.015
cl_interp_ratio 1"

Server side cfg is:

sv_client_interpolate 1
sv_client_min_interp_ratio 1.0
sv_client_max_interp_ratio 2.0

thanks

sin.