Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Metamod/Sourcemod for TF2 Beta?

Post New Thread Reply   

Bites
Old 06-22-2010 , 01:16   Metamod/Sourcemod for TF2 Beta?
Reply With Quote #1

Hi, I'm sure that many of you are at least aware of the fact that Source Filmmaker was leaked during TF2 Beta. Recently, the tools and the directions towards getting it working have both been shown to the public and a community of users has sparked up. Now, SFM is more widely used for short videos and remakes. We've made quite the outstanding progress with our knowledge of how sfm works, but the one thing that remains out of our sight is the locked cvars, and more direct access to the engine.

Sourcemod uses sm_cvar which can access private and locked variables, such as tf_scout_air_dash_count, allowing you to change the number of doublejumps a scout can do, and many more commands as well. However, attempting to use sourcemod with the tf2 beta (the only version of tf2 that the SFM can run on) only causes it to crash whenever you load a map.

So, I was wondering, has there ever been a revision of sourcemod that worked with the tf2 beta, and is there any way that I can acquire it? I'm certain that the majority of us (over here) would be quite enthralled to have it, especially myself and two other certain people who make great contributions to sfm knowledge.

In short, I would like to acquire a version of metamod source, and sourcemod that both work with the very first version of tf2 beta, in order to make better SFM videos.
Anti Christ
Old 06-22-2010 , 01:21   Re: Metamod/Sourcemod for TF2 Beta?
Reply With Quote #2

http://forums.alliedmods.net/misc.php?do=showrules

SFM is an illegal program. They won't help you here, because you have to pirate TF2 to get it, and they will not do anything that knowingly helps pirates.
Bites
Old 06-22-2010 , 01:24   Re: Metamod/Sourcemod for TF2 Beta?
Reply With Quote #3

You know, it's completely possible for someone to have backed up the TF2 beta, considering the SFM tools actually were sent with the first beta.
Anti Christ
Old 06-22-2010 , 01:26   Re: Metamod/Sourcemod for TF2 Beta?
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bites View Post
You know, it's completely possible for someone to have backed up the TF2 beta, considering the SFM tools actually were sent with the first beta.
But we both know that you didn't back it up. So it's not a valid point.
On top of that, Valve didn't intend on you to have it. So if you kept it, it's still stealing.
Bites
Old 06-22-2010 , 01:29   Re: Metamod/Sourcemod for TF2 Beta?
Reply With Quote #5

No, you just ASSUME that I don't have it backed up.

Also, Valve has given no statement against the source filmmaker's use, and it's perfectly legal to keep whatever they released in the gcfs.
Anti Christ
Old 06-22-2010 , 01:30   Re: Metamod/Sourcemod for TF2 Beta?
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
No, you just ASSUME that I don't have it backed up.

Also, Valve has given no statement against the source filmmaker's use and how it's perfectly legal to keep whatever they released in the gcfs.
If you did keep it, then prove it.
but they patched it out for a reason. If they wanted you to have it, they would have kept it in the GCFs, or maybe even would have released it. They did neither, so it's pretty apparent you aren't supposed to have it.
Bites
Old 06-22-2010 , 01:33   Re: Metamod/Sourcemod for TF2 Beta?
Reply With Quote #7

There's no way to "prove it", considering there's hardly a difference between a pirated version of the tf2 beta and an official copy, except maybe a hurr durr u got this from csmania or something.

Aren't supposed to have it != can't have it. I'm sure valve realized they let the public run loose with SFM, but they obviously don't care considering they haven't said even one word about it. I've probably sent multiple emails to different employees at valve about SFM, whether they're aware or if they're fine with it, and none of them got a response. Either valve wants to stay neutral about the argument, or they just don't really care.
Anti Christ
Old 06-22-2010 , 01:35   Re: Metamod/Sourcemod for TF2 Beta?
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
There's no way to "prove it", considering there's hardly a difference between a pirated version of the tf2 beta and an official copy, except maybe a hurr durr u got this from csmania or something.

Aren't supposed to have it != can't have it. I'm sure valve realized they let the public run loose with SFM, but they obviously don't care considering they haven't said even one word about it. I've probably sent multiple emails to different employees at valve about SFM, whether they're aware or if they're fine with it, and none of them got a response. Either valve wants to stay neutral about the argument, or they just don't really care.
You can prove it. Show me the creation dates of the GCF containing the files for it. If it's from 2007, there's a chance you may have actually kept it. If not, you pirated it.

And aren't supposed to have it, means you shouldn't have it. Not that you can't. You are proof of this, because they didn't have to say anything to show they didn't want you to have it. They took the files out of the GCFs. But that's all they can do. They can't magically erase the files from everyone's computer. So if you had the files before, you still do. That doesn't make it right, or legal.
Bites
Old 06-22-2010 , 01:40   Re: Metamod/Sourcemod for TF2 Beta?
Reply With Quote #9

To the first arguement, I'm not even going to bother, filesizes and modified last dates are so ridiculously easy to fake it's laughable, and I don't want to get into a whole "its fake" arguement.

If valve really didn't want people to use SFM, they'd make it clear. So far, all they've done is remove the sfm dll's. If they really DID care, they'd say loud and clear "Stop using SFM." If they did so, I'd delete it in a heartbeat, I care about what valve wants. However, regardless of emails, popular videos, and practically hundreds of tutorials on how to use it, valve still hasn't done anything about it. I'm pretty certain that they really, really don't care.

And to get back on track, for anyone who IS willing to help, is there any version of sourcemod and metamod which work with the tf2 beta?
gavintlgold
Old 06-22-2010 , 01:42   Re: Metamod/Sourcemod for TF2 Beta?
Reply With Quote #10

I would like to offer my 2 cents. Take a look at the description for the following video, made in SFM of course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_ev32oOUxk

The maker of the video emailed Robin Walker himself, and got the following response:

"Thanks for sending this to me.
Fastest Kid in the World was great, btw.

Robin."

If Robin himself doesn't mind then it certainly shouldn't be a problem to have a version of sourcemod that works with it. Is it a problem that Sourcemod modifies locked cvars and can potentially alter the game? No, because Valve doesn't care. I think Source Filmmaker is similar.