Plugin Category:
Server Management
Plugin Game:
Left 4 Dead
Plugin Dependencies:
    Servers with this Plugin:
    Plugin Description:
    Reject connections for non-allowed game types
    Old 04-25-2023 , 21:15   [L4D & L4D2] Enforce Gametypes [v1.4 (26-Jun-2023)]
    Reply With Quote #1

Enforce Gametypes (l4d_enforce_gametypes) by Mystik Spiral

Objective:
    • Prevent client using mm_dedicated_force_servers to override sv_gametypes on server.
    • Reject client connection if mp_gamemode set by lobby reservation is not included in sv_gametypes.

Description and options:

My server has sv_gametypes set to "coop,realism,nightmaredifficulty", but I was seeing other active game modes, like "versus", "survival", and "scavenge". I discovered that clients were setting mm_dedicated_force_servers to my server IP address and port, then connecting from lobby. When a client sets mm_dedicated_force_servers (in the client console), it overrides the value for sv_gametypes in the server and allows connections for any mp_gamemode. This simple plugin checks the value of mp_gamemode (set during lobby reservation) and compares it to the values in sv_gametypes... if there is no match the client connection is rejected.

Please be aware this will block all mutations that are not listed in sv_gametypes, even if the base gamemode for the mutation is listed.

This plugin does not have any configurable console variables, though it does read the values for the Valve console variables sv_gametypes and mp_gamemode.

Please ensure these two Valve console variables are explicitly set in the server.cfg file the way you want them:

sv_hibernate_when_empty
    sb_all_bot_game (sb_all_bot_team for L4D1)

Notes:

This plugin does not kick clients, it starts before that and rejects connection to the server for non-matching gamemodes.

If sv_gametypes is not set in your server.cfg file, it should default to:
    coop, realism, survival, versus, scavenge, dash, holdout, shootzones

I do not plan to add any new features, but if you find any bugs, please let me know and I will do my best to correct them.

Credits:

Mika Misori: mp_gamemode may be set in server.cfg
    Ja-Forces: map names are different in L4D1/2 for same campaign

Want to contribute code enhancements?
    Create a pull request using this GitHub repository: https://github.com/Mystik-Spiral/l4d_enforce_gametypes

Plugin discussion: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=342570

Changelog:

Code:
    26-Jun-2023 v1.4
    - Fixed compatibility issue with L4D1

19-Jun-2023 v1.3
    - Fixed issue if mp_gamemode was defined in server.cfg

08-May-2023 v1.2
    - Reject connections if changelevel is already in progress to reset the mp_gamemode.

02-May-2023 v1.1
    - On reject, changelevel to set an allowed mp_gamemode (uses first entry in sv_gametypes).

25-Apr-2023 v1.0
    - Initial release.

Installation:

Place the l4d_enforce_gametypes.smx file in the SourceMod "plugins" directory.
    Attached Files
    File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (l4d_enforce_gametypes.sp - 282 views - 8.6 KB)

Last edited by Mystik Spiral; 01-05-2024 at 19:02. Reason: New version
    apples1949
    Old 04-26-2023 , 00:23   Re: [L4D & L4D2] Enforce Gametypes [v1.0 (25-Apr-2023)]
    Reply With Quote #2

try this ?
    Mystik Spiral
    Old 04-26-2023 , 08:56   Re: [L4D & L4D2] Enforce Gametypes [v1.0 (25-Apr-2023)]
    Reply With Quote #3

Thank you @apples1949! That plugin by you/fantasylidong is definitely more elaborate but it seems to have the same goal. Different approaches for sure as that code does not even look at sv_gametypes. Mine simply does not allow the player to connect to the server if mp_gamemode is not in sv_gametypes.

Last edited by Mystik Spiral; 04-28-2023 at 11:02.
    tRololo312312
    Old 04-28-2023 , 14:27   Re: [L4D & L4D2] Enforce Gametypes [v1.0 (25-Apr-2023)]
    Reply With Quote #4

"coop" and "realism" etc are base gamemodes, meaning any mutation using those as a base will pass gametypes check like intended. So seeing gunbrain is normal since its a coop mutation and doesnt require "mm_dedicated_force_servers" cvar to get in.
    Mystik Spiral
    Old 04-28-2023 , 21:35   Re: [L4D & L4D2] Enforce Gametypes [v1.0 (25-Apr-2023)]
    Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tRololo312312 View Post
    "coop" and "realism" etc are base gamemodes, meaning any mutation using those as a base will pass gametypes check like intended. So seeing gunbrain is normal since its a coop mutation and doesnt require "mm_dedicated_force_servers" cvar to get in.
    Thank you for that clarification. I changed my example from gunbrain to versus/survival/scavenge, as those game modes were also showing up on my server. This plugin will block all mutations unless they are added to sv_gametypes, even mutations where the base gamemode is in sv_gametypes. That is the behavior I want, but I will add a note about this in the description to make it clear. -done

Last edited by Mystik Spiral; 04-28-2023 at 21:56.
    Mi.Cura
    Veteran Member
    Old 04-29-2023 , 12:15   Re: [L4D & L4D2] Enforce Gametypes [v1.0 (25-Apr-2023)]
    Reply With Quote #6

Thank´s for share this...
    Mystik Spiral
    Old 05-03-2023 , 07:02   Re: [L4D & L4D2] Enforce Gametypes [v1.1 (03-May-2023)]
    Reply With Quote #7

Released version 1.1.

Set mp_gamemode to the first value in sv_gametypes after lobby connection is rejected. Leaving mp_gamemode from rejected lobby connections had no effect on new lobby connections, but it could cause problems with direct (non-lobby) connections.

Last edited by Mystik Spiral; 05-03-2023 at 07:06.
    Mystik Spiral
    Old 05-18-2023 , 19:56   Re: [L4D & L4D2] Enforce Gametypes [v1.2 (18-May-2023)]
    Reply With Quote #8

Released version 1.2.

- Reject connections if changelevel is already in progress to reset the mp_gamemode.

Last edited by Mystik Spiral; 06-01-2023 at 20:26.
    Mika Misori
    Old 06-18-2023 , 17:10   Re: [L4D & L4D2] Enforce Gametypes [v1.2 (18-May-2023)]
    Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mystik Spiral View Post
    Released version 1.2.

Installed your plugin, but I can still connect to my server with a game mode different from those specified in the config.

For example, the server config:
    sv_gametypes realism
    sm_cvar mp_gamemode realism

I write the server address with this config and your plugin in mm_dedicated_force_servers, then create a lobby with survival mode and run the game. I end up on my server, which loads the map in survival mode, but the players appear in an empty saferoom as in a coop campaign and if you look at the TAB, the game mode is realism.

What am I doing wrong?
    Server on linux with the latest SourceMod and Left 4 DHooks Direct. No errors in the logs, the plugin loads successfully.
    Mystik Spiral
    Old 06-18-2023 , 22:36   Re: [L4D & L4D2] Enforce Gametypes [v1.2 (18-May-2023)]
    Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mika Misori View Post
    For example, the server config:
    sv_gametypes realism
    sm_cvar mp_gamemode realism
    I did not test with only a single value for sv_gametypes (oversight on my part). I suspect an issue with ExplodeString when the string does not have a delimiter (,). I will run some tests and post back.