Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

[code structure] Point of view @ manual + automatic processing

Post New Thread Reply   

RedSword
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 03-17-2012 , 19:28   [code structure] Point of view @ manual + automatic processing
Reply With Quote #1

Hi scripters!

If you were to code something that could be triggered both manually (by admins) or automaticly (under certain conditions without the presence of an admin), how would you conceive that ?

In my current Auto Team Scrambler plugin there is no admin command, and I'm planning on adding that. However, i'm reluctant to add that directly in that same plugin and do a big all-in-one plugin. I do believe that team-based management commands could be more various for admins (i.e. get all people from the same clan; an automatic plugin wouldn't do that).

I'm considering the following scenarios :

1- Do another whole plugin which does allow admins some team-scrambling and switching actions. Both my plugins would be stand-alone; however teams could be scrambled twice.

2- Do an "interface plugin" that does the scrambling when called from outside (by a native), and call that scrambling from both other plugins (so 3 plugins total). Since only one plugin would do the processing, there wouldn't be any conflicts between plugins (put a flag with an ID telling which plugin is calling or something alike).

3- Extend my current plugin so it has forward and native in it and make the admin command based plugin totally dependant on it.

4- Do an all-in-one :/.

What do you think, and which one would you prefer ? I'm starting to do a code one way, then I think another way would be better... I'm kinda hesitant
RAWR (per player/rounds Awp Restrict.)
Kill Assist
Be Medic

You can also Donate if you appreciate my work

Last edited by RedSword; 03-17-2012 at 19:28.
necavi
Veteran Member
Old 03-17-2012 , 20:07   Re: [code structure] Point of view @ manual + automatic processing
Reply With Quote #2

I would personally prefer 3, followed by 2 followed by 4, most likely.
RedSword
Old 03-17-2012 , 21:12   Re: [code structure] Point of view @ manual + automatic processing
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by necavi View Post
I would personally prefer 3, followed by 2 followed by 4, most likely.
You put "2" as a second choice. Do you believe having a plugin needed for another one discourage the regular user from getting it ?

I'm still considering all the choice :/.
Kill Assist
Be Medic

Last edited by RedSword; 03-18-2012 at 00:49. Reason: spelling mistake
necavi
Veteran Member
Old 03-17-2012 , 21:18   Re: [code structure] Point of view @ manual + automatic processing
Reply With Quote #4

Well, generally I do choose to use option 2, but in this case the admin commands seem to be more of an optional extension of the main plugin, although option 2 IS more extensible, so if you plan to add more than you have mentioned I would definitely go for that option.
Thrawn2
Veteran Member
Old 03-18-2012 , 00:47   Re: [code structure] Point of view @ manual + automatic processing
Reply With Quote #5

always the 2nd one
SourceMod Donor
Old 03-18-2012 , 12:24   Re: [code structure] Point of view @ manual + automatic processing
Reply With Quote #6

since you are coding that plugin for others, you should rather ask yourself if the stupidest users can handle 3 different files ;P

edit: like necavi id go for 3, then 2, then 4, def not 1. or choose another name, coz else it wouldn be "auto"-matically anymore =p

Last edited by Dreamy; 03-18-2012 at 13:08.
RedSword
Old 03-18-2012 , 13:37   Re: [code structure] Point of view @ manual + automatic processing
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
since you are coding that plugin for others, you should rather ask yourself if the stupidest users can handle 3 different files ;P

edit: like necavi id go for 3, then 2, then 4, def not 1. or choose another name, coz else it wouldn be "auto"-matically anymore =p
The name isn't the problem since you can rename it easily (I'd just add "w/ admin commands"; but I feel that would be dump a bit). I'm surprise no one yet believe an all-in-one would be the best. I think I'll go for 2...
Kill Assist
Be Medic

Last edited by RedSword; 03-18-2012 at 13:39.