Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

L4D Versus Tools [Obsolete]

Post New Thread Reply   

Apex_
Old 02-28-2009 , 18:51   Re: L4D Versus Tools
Reply With Quote #11

They both work equally well in my experience, but I like the convenience of sv_search_key keeping out players unless we want to play. Being that its modded, most people would probably freak out without our prior warning in the lobby ;)

I wish Valve would hurry up with the SDK already. I really want to know how that balancing system works for tanks/witches and if possible force it on other difficulties. If all else fails I could run normal and get someone to write a damage plugin
CrimsonGT
Veteran Member
Old 03-02-2009 , 15:58   Re: L4D Versus Tools
Reply With Quote #12

Updated first post with Linux Version.

Big Thanks to Predcrab for compiling it!
Old 03-02-2009 , 17:02   Re: L4D Versus Tools
Reply With Quote #13

May be a stupid question but even when the server restarts to a normal map still shows 8 slots which is good if i want to do vs but i'm going to play a campaign even though it shows 8 what will happen if a 5th player joins?
Apex_
Old 03-02-2009 , 17:20   Re: L4D Versus Tools
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimihendrix820 View Post
May be a stupid question but even when the server restarts to a normal map still shows 8 slots which is good if i want to do vs but i'm going to play a campaign even though it shows 8 what will happen if a 5th player joins?
Just disable versus mode using director_no_human_zombies 1 or the equivalent from a plugin like the Director Enforcer. The worst that can happen then is you'll have spectators, but I'm pretty sure it will disallow joining after it's set.
CrimsonGT
Veteran Member
Old 03-02-2009 , 18:57   Re: L4D Versus Tools
Reply With Quote #15

This is mainly intended for people who want to run 24.7 versus servers and have all maps playable instead of just 2. However doing what Apex said should work, and if not I will add a cvar to control it.
Old 03-04-2009 , 00:32   Re: L4D Versus Tools
Reply With Quote #16

CrimsonGT, are you planning on increasing the max cap on versus?
I know a few people who're dying to broadcast live competitive matches but are left in the dark with SourceTV being borked for L4D.
I think even just one extra slot would be enough to satiate them.
CrimsonGT
Veteran Member
Old 03-04-2009 , 01:13   Re: L4D Versus Tools
Reply With Quote #17

Well so far I have been able to make the servers as large as 255, but even when i set the maxplayers, the maxhuman players, etc it wont let anyone in over 8. Its also extremely hard to test it out since I dont know 8 people that play L4D on my friends list. I can post some text mods though and let you guys try them out.
Old 03-04-2009 , 01:32   Re: L4D Versus Tools
Reply With Quote #18

Ah, so have valve hardcoded a limit to the max amount of connections, or does it only limit real players?
So increasing maxplayers to 255 just means there can be extra bots?

Could you elaborate on what text mods are, I'm not sure I follow.
If you need someone to test, I host a bunch of community servers of the linux variety. I'd be happy to help you test if you need.
CrimsonGT
Veteran Member
Old 03-04-2009 , 02:30   Re: L4D Versus Tools
Reply With Quote #19

Well maxplayers is already set to 14, so I dont think that variable is actually used for anything. I changed maxhumanplayers all the way up to 255 which is what changed the slot count to 255, but it wouldnt allow more connections from players. There seems to be quite a few variables that contribute to how many players can connect and what not (a lot of things change on mapchange) so I will look into it.

I probably cant give out linux versions to test with because I dont know how to compile for linux (i give them to my friend to compile) but I will see what I can figure out anyways.
Old 03-04-2009 , 02:41   Re: L4D Versus Tools
Reply With Quote #20

This is probably obvious, but if it's possible you should try switching between campaign and versus maps and log what variables are changing.
I'm guessing maybe the playerlimit is enforced through the map, setting versus to true/false.

Then again, IIRC you could do director_no_human_zombies 0 and restart the map you can increase the playerlimit on campaign maps to 8, so seeing where that cvar goes might be productive.