Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[TF2] No Free Edicts returns!

Post New Thread Reply   

Cthen
Old 08-25-2015 , 20:12   [TF2] No Free Edicts returns!
Reply With Quote #1

I run one server with a custom map and lately after the last two updates to TF2, the server is crashing with the error ED_Alloc "No Free Edicts". I do have this plugin installed for that purpose https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=2194570 however, it doesn't seem to be working anymore after the last two updates.

What else can I do to prevent this error or is there an adjustment I can make with the plugin? The server crashes once or twice a day with this error.

Last edited by Cthen; 08-25-2015 at 20:23.
Sreaper
髪を用心
Old 08-25-2015 , 20:28   Re: [TF2] No Free Edicts returns!
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthen View Post
What else can I do to prevent this error
You can change how the map handles entities with a plugin or a map edit. What's the name of the map causing the crash?

Last edited by Sreaper; 08-25-2015 at 20:33.
Potato Uno
Veteran Member
Old 08-25-2015 , 20:43   Re: [TF2] No Free Edicts returns!
Reply With Quote #3

Load the map freshly, type "status" into the console, and check how many edicts are in use.

If it's a number > 1500 (a max limit mappers in tf2maps somewhat agree on) you have to ask the mapper to cut some shit out of the map.

Otherwise, you have plugins that spawn an absurd number of entities on the server.

My MvM server runs a map that has 1380 edicts used on map load, and even with spammer soldiers and other crazy shit going on (they use up lots of edicts), and no edict cleaner plugin, it doesn't crash.

Last edited by Potato Uno; 08-25-2015 at 20:44.
Cthen
Old 08-25-2015 , 20:58   Re: [TF2] No Free Edicts returns!
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreaper View Post
You can change how the map handles entities with a plugin or a map edit. What's the name of the map causing the crash?
I do have a plugin installed for it but it is set at it's default settings and doesn't seem to be doing it's job anymore (It worked great before that last 2 updates for TF2). The map is Trade_Idle_Practice_v2. Map editing I am not so great at unfortunately.
Cthen
Old 08-25-2015 , 21:01   Re: [TF2] No Free Edicts returns!
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato Uno View Post
Load the map freshly, type "status" into the console, and check how many edicts are in use.

If it's a number > 1500 (a max limit mappers in tf2maps somewhat agree on) you have to ask the mapper to cut some shit out of the map.

Otherwise, you have plugins that spawn an absurd number of entities on the server.

My MvM server runs a map that has 1380 edicts used on map load, and even with spammer soldiers and other crazy shit going on (they use up lots of edicts), and no edict cleaner plugin, it doesn't crash.
It reports 394 used on map load.
Cthen
Old 08-29-2015 , 19:12   Re: [TF2] No Free Edicts returns!
Reply With Quote #6

Any other ideas out there? I tried adjusting the cvars of the plugin and no luck there either.
AeroAcrobat
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-29-2015 , 20:45   Re: [TF2] No Free Edicts returns!
Reply With Quote #7

try the extension by kyles
Old 09-01-2015 , 08:06   Re: [TF2] No Free Edicts returns!
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroAcrobat View Post
try the extension by kyles
For now I have that download bookmarked. I read over the thread first and found that someone posted these cvars: sv_lowedict_action 4 and sv_lowedict_threshold 32

So far this has solved the issue for now. The server has been up for 48 hours now as opposed to crashing once or twice a day. Thank you for the info, I now also have a back up try if this comes up again.
SmackDaddy
Veteran Member
Old 09-24-2015 , 15:28   Re: [TF2] No Free Edicts returns!
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthen View Post
For now I have that download bookmarked. I read over the thread first and found that someone posted these cvars: sv_lowedict_action 4 and sv_lowedict_threshold 32

So far this has solved the issue for now. The server has been up for 48 hours now as opposed to crashing once or twice a day. Thank you for the info, I now also have a back up try if this comes up again.
Do you just put those two cvars in server.cfg or do you have to have another plugin/extension running? Side effects of using those cvars?
Cthen
Old 09-25-2015 , 19:09   Re: [TF2] No Free Edicts returns!
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
Do you just put those two cvars in server.cfg or do you have to have another plugin/extension running? Side effects of using those cvars?
Just put it in the server.cfg

I got rid of the plugin as it seems the author is no longer supporting it.