Lysis: An experimental .smx decompiler

Post New Thread Reply   

asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 12-16-2011 , 09:37   Re: Lysis: An experimental .smx decompiler
Reply With Quote #71

It does not.
No idea where you got that idea from.

Last edited by asherkin; 12-16-2011 at 09:38.
E3pO
Old 12-24-2011 , 17:11   Re: Lysis: An experimental .smx decompiler
Reply With Quote #72

Thanks for this! This plugin saved my $#@!!!!

For some reason notepad++ decided to save an older version of my script and today when i went to continue it there was nothing there from the last week of coding!!

This got me back to where i was at least, thanks!
Send a message via AIM to E3pO Send a message via MSN to E3pO Send a message via Skype™ to E3pO
rhelgeby
Veteran Member
Old 12-24-2011 , 17:22   Re: Lysis: An experimental .smx decompiler
Reply With Quote #73

In cases like this you could use version control software like Mercurial or Git, even though it's just a single file. Lucky you had a newer plugin binary you could decompile.

Zombie:Reloaded | PawnUnit | Object Library
(Please don't send private messages for support, they will be ignored. Use the forum.)
Send a message via MSN to rhelgeby
thetwistedpanda
Good Little Panda
Old 12-24-2011 , 18:28   Re: Lysis: An experimental .smx decompiler
Reply With Quote #74

If you don't save every 10 seconds like myself, you could also get away with just using DropBox. A tad easier, albeit limited in the number of previous versions.
Old 12-27-2011 , 17:31   Re: Lysis: An experimental .smx decompiler
Reply With Quote #75

E3pO: Cool, glad it helped!
Old 01-02-2012 , 18:20   Re: Lysis: An experimental .smx decompiler
Reply With Quote #76

when i try to compile a decompiled plugin, get errors can you check this file?
Attached Files
File Type: smx svinorez.smx (7.9 KB, 142 views)
Dr. McKay
Sir Dr. SourceMod Plugin Approver Esq. Ltd. M.D. PhD
Old 01-02-2012 , 23:04   Re: Lysis: An experimental .smx decompiler
Reply With Quote #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofanat View Post
when i try to compile a decompiled plugin, get errors can you check this file?
I would really not recommend you try to recompile decompiled plugins. Lysis is experimental for a reason: it doesn't work completely 100% of the time.
Old 01-04-2012 , 14:46   Re: Lysis: An experimental .smx decompiler
Reply With Quote #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by E3pO View Post
For some reason notepad++ decided to save an older version of my script and today when i went to continue it there was nothing there from the last week of coding!!
Use SVN or Git to prevent that kind of stuff from happening.
Old 01-04-2012 , 15:57   Re: Lysis: An experimental .smx decompiler
Reply With Quote #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by recon0 View Post
Use SVN or Git to prevent that kind of stuff from happening.
Eh, I'd say Dropbox is the way to go. They keep a 30-day version history on all the files in your Dropbox, so you can just hit the Restore button and get it back. SVN/Git is a tad difficult to set up and a bit unnecessary for simple plugins imho.
Old 02-11-2012 , 21:13   Re: Lysis: An experimental .smx decompiler
Reply With Quote #80

People occasionally ask me GPL questions so I've built up a bit of a knowledge on the subject, I'm not a lawyer and some of this may be wrong, but I'll do my best to try and answer some of the concerns I've seen in this thread and other concerns some people commonly have.

This is unfair, why are you forcing me to release the source code?
SourceMod is provided under the GPL. It is open source so that everyone can share and modify it. SourceMod is given to you, for free, on the basis if you release something, you must share the source code so that other people can enjoy the same freedoms SourceMod is provided to you under. There is nothing wrong with this, giving is a two way street and this is a modding community, the whole goal is to be able to mod things and we can't do that without freely available source code. If you don't want to be part of a open modding community and you only want to take but not give, this may not be the right place for you. You can read more about the GPL here

My plugin contains passwords or other sensitive information, you've ruined my security!
I can't stress this enough, YOUR PLUGINS ARE ALREADY INSECURE, AND HAVE LIKELY ALREADY BEEN COMPROMISED the password is already easily accessible either using a packet sniffer such as wireshark, or by inspecting the binary. Any half decent programmer that wants to mess with your service probably already is doing so. This simply adds a third easy way to get hold of the sensitive information in your plugin. It is very important that you improve your security as soon as possible. If you are unsure of how to do this, please feel free to contact me in the SourceMod IRC channel or via a forum PM, explain your plugin and what it does, and I will do my best to help you implement your plugin in a way that is secure.

People will steal my work and claim it as their own!
Some people seem worried about attribution (other people taking your plugin and claiming it as their own), For starts, the GPL requires that the licensing header remains unmodified so your attribution is safe, for second if anyone did re-release your plugin they'd be forced by the license to release the source code too which would make it blindingly obvious that it was your work.

Even though the license protects me, people will just steal my work and claim it as their own anyway!
I hear a lot of people say this and the simple answer to that is...couldn't they do that anyway, source or no source? the only difference here is that the GPL clearly protects you here legally, and by not sharing the source code your leeching off of the good will of the SourceMod project, and not allowing modders the ability to mod, which isn't nice

I don't want to release my plugin!
The GPL doesn't force you to release your plugin, You can keep your plugin private just for you, that's totally fine! All the GPL says is that if you give someone your plugin, you must give them the source code too. Note though that there are no "get out clauses" for this one, no agreements, no work arounds. If you give them the plugin you legally must give them the source too.

I don't want the extra work of supporting other peoples modifications!
So don't? There is no requirement for you to provide support of any sort. The GPL clearly states that your product is provided as is, with no warranty. If someone contacts you, simply tell them to ask the person who modified your plugin for support, or just ignore it. How much support you do or don't give is entirely up to you. If your worried about people contacting you asking questions, perhaps you shouldn't be releasing your plugin publicly in the first place, or should consider releasing it anonymously such that people can't contact you. That said, I have a semi-large plugin release here that has been forked, built upon, etc. I have never once been contacted for support with a fork, everyone has been really nice and I've only ever received positive feedback! (<3 SM community) so, at least in my experience this is a non-issue.

What about paid plugins?
I've done a few paid plugins for people and I'm relatively well known in the IRC channel. Every time I've done paid work I've always provided the source code along with the binary. This is perfectly sensible, and if your a server owner you should be sure that if you do pay for a plugin you get the source code too. What happens if something happens to the original developer (Accident, or just gets bored of sourcemod, or becomes uncontactable, etc). If you don't have the source and your plugin breaks or you want to add something new, you're pretty much screwed! Always be sure that if you hire a coder, you get the source code. As for the developer, you're being paid to build something, it belongs to the person that's paying for it, not you.

Hope this helps some of the worried/confused people, besides that, great work on the decompiler. Sure it will come in handy

Last edited by Azelphur; 02-11-2012 at 21:15.