Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[TF2] tf_halloween_gift_spawn_location entity location retrieval

Post New Thread Reply   

jh34ghu43gu
Zero Posts
Old 12-08-2021 , 07:36   [TF2] tf_halloween_gift_spawn_location entity location retrieval
Reply With Quote #1

Hi, new user here, not sure if this is directly related to source servers or needs to solved with sourcemod of w/e, maybe it's something else entirely hence off topic section.

TF2 halloween maps during the hween event will spawn gargoyles in predetermined locations defined by the "tf_halloween_gift_spawn_location" entity. I am looking to get these entities locations in order to make location maps. This sounds simple enough, decompile the map and search for them. Except, they aren't there?? Looking through sinshine, mann manor, and terror, only terror has any of the gift_spawns.

My second course of action is to see if I can show them in game like how you can show triggers. Alas, "Halloween Gift Spawn Locations - Location saved by GameRules. Deleted after map load" suggests this is not possible and I cannot locate anything about getting the information from the GameRules.

Unfortunately it appears I am the only person who cares about this because the most information I can find about these entities is what they do and that they are an edict, which isn't that useful. Is there something I am missing? Can sourcemod potentially get these locations from GameRules? Am I wrong about these being predetermined and the game actually randomly creates them? (I have reasons to suspect this is not the case, specifically this patch they had to release that adds 2 spots via .lmp* files, regardless they are always in the same spots so retrieving them in game is enough for my purposes.)

*As an aside is there a way to read these files? When I open them in NPP they are unreadable, not sure how the wiki got a diff between them.
Sreaper
髪を用心
Old 12-09-2021 , 04:41   Re: [TF2] tf_halloween_gift_spawn_location entity location retrieval
Reply With Quote #2

Doesn't seem possible based on this thread: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=141818
jh34ghu43gu
Zero Posts
Old 12-09-2021 , 06:37   Re: [TF2] tf_halloween_gift_spawn_location entity location retrieval
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreaper View Post
Doesn't seem possible based on this thread: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=141818
Thank you for that thread, that's a shame but having the GC deal with them on most maps makes sense for the observed behavior as sinshine does not spawn the gargoyles offline like terror does, odd choice on valve's part imo considering they have a mapping entity for it.

I do feel the need to correct this quote from that thread for anyone else who finds this:
"It is fully between the client and the game coordinator. The server doesn't know/care about them."
The server definitely loads these as well as handles the collision detection; interestingly it also appears to send every gargoyle to the player and it's up to the client to render yours.