Polymorph: Mod Manager

Post New Thread Reply   

[Godmin] Gonzo
SourceMod Donor
Old 04-19-2010 , 20:38   Re: Polymorph: Mod Manager
Reply With Quote #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
Should be fixed in 1.0.3 (uploaded). I made it so that when nobody votes, the map that was listed first in the vote is set as the nextmap (which is effectively random).
Thanks. This should do the job.
Veteran Member
Old 04-19-2010 , 20:45   Re: Polymorph: Mod Manager
Reply With Quote #132

One thing that I noticed is that you are pausing plugins. Do you need them loaded for the mod? Meaning, do you unpause them during the mod? If no, then it's probably cleaner to remove those plugins from plugins.ini and only put them in the MOD that you want those plugins running.

OR, better yet, you can add them to the list of MOD plugins and disable them!

Code:
[plugins]
MOD_plugin.amxx
disable_me.amxx disabled
The plugin name ("disable_me") can be at most 17 characters for it work work.
Old 04-19-2010 , 21:53   Re: Polymorph: Mod Manager
Reply With Quote #133

Quote:
One thing that I noticed is that you are pausing plugins. Do you need them loaded for the mod? Meaning, do you unpause them during the mod? If no, then it's probably cleaner to remove those plugins from plugins.ini and only put them in the MOD that you want those plugins running.

OR, better yet, you can add them to the list of MOD plugins and disable them!
Thanks for pointing out, I am aware of my suboptimal solution. I only use it while playing around with the mods and trying different setups. Once all is done, I'll set-up flattened configs.

Quote:
Should be fixed in 1.0.3 (uploaded). I made it so that when nobody votes, the map that was listed first in the vote is set as the nextmap (which is effectively random).
My server just switched to Death Run but runs map stalkyard

Code:
L 04/20/2010 - 03:18:01: [polymorph.amxx] Vote: Voting for the next mod started
L 04/20/2010 - 03:18:16: [polymorph.amxx] Vote: Voting for the next mod finished. The nextmod will be Death Run
L 04/20/2010 - 03:18:32: [polymorph.amxx] Vote: Voting for the nextmap started
L 04/20/2010 - 03:18:47: [polymorph.amxx] Vote: Voting for the nextmap finished. The nextmap will be deathrun_gamerfun2
L 04/20/2010 - 03:20:14: -------- Mapchange to stalkyard --------
I somehow got the idea, that enabling nextmap.amxx might help (I disabled it a few month ago as I started to use galileo) - this definitly helped:
Code:
L 04/20/2010 - 03:50:45: [polymorph.amxx] Vote: Voting for the next mod started
L 04/20/2010 - 03:51:00: [polymorph.amxx] Vote: Voting for the next mod finished. The nextmod will be Paintball
L 04/20/2010 - 03:51:15: [polymorph.amxx] Vote: Voting for the nextmap started
L 04/20/2010 - 03:51:30: [polymorph.amxx] Vote: Voting for the nextmap finished. The nextmap will be fy_paintballarena
L 04/20/2010 - 03:52:49: -------- Mapchange to fy_paintballarena --------
Veteran Member
Old 04-19-2010 , 23:31   Re: Polymorph: Mod Manager
Reply With Quote #134

If nextmap.amxx is not enabled then [the cvar] amx_nextmap does not exist.
Old 04-20-2010 , 22:26   Re: Polymorph: Mod Manager
Reply With Quote #135

Quote:

poly_mapspermod <#>
Number of maps played per mod before you can vote for a new mod.
Default 2.
I plan on making this variable customizable per MOD in the initialization file.

Your plugin thread has a TON of replies so I am not sure if this question has already been asked and answered. If so, I apologize.

Wouldnt just placing that cvar (poly_mapspermod <#>) in the cfg portion of the specific mod's ini file, in effect, allow you to customize that cvar on a specific mod?

And one additional question.... would this mod be compatible with another map chooser plugin rather than just using the mapchooser.amxx. For instance, Galileo is a very feature rich map chooser/management plugin and decided to use it on all 13 of my CZ and CS servers. It would be nice keep everything uniform, even on servers running a mod management system like yours. The only other one I could find (which is supposed to be compatible with other mapchoosers) does not support switching between CSDM and GunGame mods, which is one of the reasons I would use your plugin.

Last edited by =NcB=preswylde; 04-20-2010 at 22:38.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 04-20-2010 , 23:21   Re: Polymorph: Mod Manager
Reply With Quote #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by =NcB=preswylde View Post
Wouldnt just placing that cvar (poly_mapspermod <#>) in the cfg portion of the specific mod's ini file, in effect, allow you to customize that cvar on a specific mod?
Nobody has asked that before (I don't think). I will make it part of the MOD configuration under the [mod] section in my next release. Which means no more cvar.

Quote:
And one additional question.... would this mod be compatible with another map chooser plugin rather than just using the mapchooser.amxx. For instance, Galileo is a very feature rich map chooser/management plugin and decided to use it on all 13 of my CZ and CS servers. It would be nice keep everything uniform, even on servers running a mod management system like yours. The only other one I could find (which is supposed to be compatible with other mapchoosers) does not support switching between CSDM and GunGame mods, which is one of the reasons I would use your plugin.
Polymorph does not use any mapchooser (including mapchooser.amxx). It is a replacement for the mapchooser (replaces mapchooser and galileo) and it will not work correctly if you have both Polymorph and Galileo running.

There are several things in Galileo that would not be feasible for Polymorph. For example, it has map nominations. How would that work when you don't know the next mod? because if you don't know the next mod then you don't know what maps are available to use.

However, there is a reason I added the capability to make add-on plugins for this. You can, as I have done, make an RTV plugin specifically for Polymorph using the natives that I have created within Polymorph.

Tell me what features you like in Galileo that you would like to have when you use Polymorph. I will tell you if I think it will be a feasible prospect.

Last edited by fysiks; 04-21-2010 at 00:15.
=NcB=preswylde
Old 04-21-2010 , 05:25   Re: Polymorph: Mod Manager
Reply With Quote #137

Quote:
Nobody has asked that before (I don't think). I will make it part of the MOD configuration under the [mod] section in my next release. Which means no more cvar.
That suprises me because I'm not even an novice when it comes modding. It just looked like it would work that way seeing as a plugin cvar is really no different than one that you would find in any server.cfg other than it's individual purpose. As long as it gets executed or initiated, it's gonna serve it's purpose. I'll definately be giving that one a shot when I install polymorph

Quote:
However, there is a reason I added the capability to make add-on plugins for this. You can, as I have done, make an RTV plugin specifically for Polymorph using the natives that I have created within Polymorph.

Tell me what features you like in Galileo that you would like to have when you use Polymorph. I will tell you if I think it will be a feasible prospect.
Now I am going solely off of the forum thread for Galileo, and haven't actually USED it before... but the following functions appealed to me when I was reading about it.

General Functions
gal_createmapfile <filename>

Creates a file that contains a list of every valid map in your maps
folder. The filename argument indicates specifies the name to be
used for the new file. It will be created in the .\configs\galileo folder.

Ability to set a unique map cycle when the server is empty.

Vote System Functions
Runoff voting when no map gets more than 50% of the total vote.

gal_banrecent 3
Specifies how many of the most recent maps are disallowed from a
map vote. A value of 0 will disable this feature.

As for the nomination part of Galileo, I would agree that under normal circumstances you would have no need for nominations on a (for lack of a better term) multi-mod server, however, I am planning on using polymorph to only switch back and forth between CSDM and GG mods and my current DM and GG servers both use standard cs_ and de_ maps as well as both use an identical set of CSDM spawns for the maps. I would likely use the same mapsfile for both mods on the combined mod server.

Last edited by =NcB=preswylde; 04-21-2010 at 08:18. Reason: misspelled word
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 04-21-2010 , 18:35   Re: Polymorph: Mod Manager
Reply With Quote #138

Quote:
That suprises me because I'm not even an novice when it comes modding. It just looked like it would work that way seeing as a plugin cvar is really no different than one that you would find in any server.cfg other than it's individual purpose. As long as it gets executed or initiated, it's gonna serve it's purpose. I'll definately be giving that one a shot when I install polymorph
The only reason doing it that way may cause problems is that the cvars/commands listed in the middle section of the MOD initialization file are executed until after the plugin uses the cvar value for mapspermod. It wouldn't have any issues when switch maps on a single MOD; the only spot that would have issues is switching between MODs that have it set to different values.

Anyways, I had originally started setting it up for being a setting in the first section of the MOD initialization file but never finished. It's finished in the next version though.

Quote:
Now I am going solely off of the forum thread for Galileo, and haven't actually USED it before... but the following functions appealed to me when I was reading about it.

General Functions
gal_createmapfile <filename>

Creates a file that contains a list of every valid map in your maps
folder. The filename argument indicates specifies the name to be
used for the new file. It will be created in the .\configs\galileo folder.

Ability to set a unique map cycle when the server is empty.

Vote System Functions
Runoff voting when no map gets more than 50% of the total vote.

gal_banrecent 3
Specifies how many of the most recent maps are disallowed from a
map vote. A value of 0 will disable this feature.

As for the nomination part of Galileo, I would agree that under normal circumstances you would have no need for nominations on a (for lack of a better term) multi-mod server, however, I am planning on using polymorph to only switch back and forth between CSDM and GG mods and my current DM and GG servers both use standard cs_ and de_ maps as well as both use an identical set of CSDM spawns for the maps. I would likely use the same mapsfile for both mods on the combined mod server.
Create a map file? I have no clue why anyone would need that on a regular basis. You might need it once each time you add more than 10 maps at a time. Seems more like it would be better suited as a batch (Windows) or bash (Linux) script.

For your particular situation are you going to be using a vote to determine if you switch to the other MOD? Or are you just going to run one MOD for 5 maps and the other for 3 maps and it will switch back and forth (3, 5, 3, 5, etc.)? In this situation it would probably be better to make a plugin that will switch things around in the background and still be able to use Galileo as the mapchooser.
Old 04-21-2010 , 19:43   Re: Polymorph: Mod Manager
Reply With Quote #139

UPDATE for you fysiks:

I have installed polymorph on one of my test servers in preparation for the server it's actually going to be going on so I can make sure that everything is working like it should. The two mods that polymorph control are CSDM 2.1.2 and The latest version of GunGame.

I installed the RTV, csdm_off, and poly_mapchooser addons per your instructions in your addons post in this thread.

Rather than including ALL of the configs for csdm and gungame on their respective poly MOD ini files, I only typed the basic cvars in the [cfg] section and then added an exec <file>.cfg line at the bottom of the section so I could keep each mod's config files intact and well organized. I have included my poly mod ini file for deathmatch mod (position 0) below as an example.

0_DeathMatch.ini
Code:

; Deathmatch Mod
; Bailopan's CSDM 2.1.2 
; Standard NcB deathmatch configuration
[mod]
name "NcB Deathmatch"
mapsfile maps0.ini
[cfg]
hostname "=NcB= 01 [Avengers | Deathmatch]"
sv_alltalk 1
vm_alives 2
vm_deads 2
mp_timelimit 15
mp_friendlyfire 0
mp_autoteambalance 1
mp_limitteams 1
bot_difficulty 0
bot_join_team any
bot_join_after_player 0
bot_autovacate 1
bot_quota 8
bot_chatter off
humans_join_team any
poly_mapspermod 2
exec csdm.cfg

[plugins]
;Main plugin, required for most cases
csdm_main.amxx
;Weapons and equipment menus
csdm_equip.amxx
;Enables preset spawning and the preset spawning editor
;Map config files are located in configs/csdm
csdm_spawn_preset.amxx
;spawn_editor.amxx
;Miscellanious extra features, such as ammo refills
; and objective removals
csdm_misc.amxx
;Spawn protection
csdm_protection.amxx
Hook_Mod.amxx

Long story short: (I know.... too late)

THIS THING WORKS LIKE A DREAM... EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED IT TO DO!!!!!!

I wanted to thank you for writing this plugin, because without it I would not be able to have my servers do what I want them to do, or at least not as efficient.

Ok... all buttkissing aside, lol.....

I posted all of that above so people might be able to use my example as a guide if they get stuck during installation.

I would still be interested in those other features mentioned above being made available as addons if possible.

Also, the server I'll be using this setup on has a base number of bots at all times to keep the game-play moving (quota 8 currently on the test server). I've noticed that if I'm by myself on the server or with one other person and the map vote comes up on the screen, the map chooser tends to ignore my vote or the two votes (even if they are unanimous) and switch the map to a random map from the mapslist. Could this be because the only person or two that are on the server that CAN vote are greatly outnumbered by bots... who CAN'T? It's not a huge issue, but enough to be noticeable.

I'm actually thinking of using your bot TK Apology plugin, just for a laugh though.... seriously, that's a funny and unique idea.

Lastly:

I'll leave the testing server that my install (above) is running on for a month or so in case you or anyone else would like to see this plugin in action on an active live server. The server info is located below:

EDIT: The server is now out of test phase and is live and public. Hostname and server IP info have been updated below. Additionally, have used polymorph on another server to corrall two other popular mods with two versions of each. That server info is listed below the DM/GG one below.

Code:

=NcB= 01 [GunGame|Deathmatch]
16 slots Public Condition Zero, ping boosted.
Polymorph mods running: CSDM (Team Deathmatch) or GunGame (w/ map objectives on)
IP address: 75.102.10.194:27015
Code:
=NcB= 06 [Bones|Brigade]
24 slots Public Condition Zero, ping boosted.
Polymorph mods running: NcB Bones (a cz mod exclusive to NcB Gaming) and Brigade (A popular humans vs bots mod)
IP address: 206.217..136.32:27015

If the server is down when you try, I'm just probably uploading maps/spawns so just retry after a short while.

The server is live and runs 24/7. If I eventually take the server(s) down, I'll edit it's info out of this post.

Last edited by =NcB=preswylde; 05-05-2010 at 08:47. Reason: Updated "test" server info
=NcB=preswylde
Old 04-21-2010 , 20:16   Re: Polymorph: Mod Manager
Reply With Quote #140

Quote:
Create a map file? I have no clue why anyone would need that on a regular basis.
Normally, it wouldn't be needed for most clans/communities. That type of thing could certainly make my life easier though.

My Gaming community currently has 23 servers.
4 CS:S
1 CSPROMOD Beta
1 DOD:S
1 L4D
1 L4D2
1 GMOD
13 CS:CZ
1 CS:1.6
I think I have probably about 1,000 or more custom maps spread between each of the game servers.

I maintain a couple of active servers for testing purposes when I need to put together a new server mod set-up or changes to existing ones. With a server side ability to write a map list to a file, it would save me quite a bit of time.

Who knows.... maybe someone will write a simple standalone version of that part of Galileo... until then, I guess it's batch scripts for me. :-)

Quote:
For your particular situation are you going to be using a vote to determine if you switch to the other MOD? Or are you just going to run one MOD for 5 maps and the other for 3 maps and it will switch back and forth (3, 5, 3, 5, etc.)? In this situation it would probably be better to make a plugin that will switch things around in the background and still be able to use Galileo as the mapchooser.
I set up the polymorph (see previous post) to use a vote to switch the mod and map after a certain number of maps (added poly_mapspermod cvar to the [cfg] section for each of the two mods) depending on the mod. Right now it seems to be working flawlessly except for the little glitch I mentioned in my last post.

After testing it this way for 3 solid hours, I'm pretty convinced that using galileo just to get a few extra features that would likely be less important when compared to having one more plugin tugging on the system resources.

Thanks for your advice and once again for the time and energy you put into Polymorph. This has become a really big help to me.