Plugin Version:
Plugin Category:
Gameplay
Plugin Game:
Team Fortress 2
Plugin Dependencies:
    Servers with this Plugin:

Plugin Description:
    A custom gamemode for Team Fortress 2. Jump, Stomp, and Power Up to defeat your opponents!
    Old 06-23-2014 , 18:46   [TF2] Mario Bros.
    Reply With Quote #1

Mario Bros.
    A custom game mode written by me (X Kirby),
    where you jump on people's heads (A.K.A. Goomba Stomp) to defeat them.

That's not all, though! There are 15 different Power-Ups, each with their
    own abilities. Use "Alt-Fire" (Right Click by Default) to use them!

You can Weigh yourself down by pressing Crouch while falling. You can also Sprint by
    binding a key to "+sprint" and holding that key and "Forward"! Don't sidestep, however, or else it'll end your sprinting early.

There's also 2 built-in extra game modes: Battle Arena and Coin Rush!

Battle Arena is a Team Deathmatch Mode where you have a limited
    number of respawns. Once you're out of respawns, you're sent to Spectator.

Coin Rush is a Team "Collect-a-Thon" Mode where you grab as many
    coins as you can and hold onto them until time runs out. Getting hit or killed
    will make you lose your coins, so be careful!

NOW ON GITHUB

Power-Ups
    • Fire Flower: The Fire Flower gives you a Flare Cannon that deals damage and heavy knockback.
    • POW Block: The POW Block sends enemies in a radius around you high into the sky!
    • P-Wing: The P-Wing increases your movement speed.
    • Goomba's Shoe: Goomba's Shoe increases your Stomp damage significantly and allows you to stomp on players using the Bowser Suit.
    • Super Leaf: The Super Leaf allows you to jump repeatedly in the air! Also, you can hold down jump while falling to slow down your descent.
    • Boo Thief: The Boo Thief steals an item from one of your opponents, if any of them have one. It'll also cloak you for a little while!
    • Mushroom: Mushrooms heal your health by a good amount.
    • Starman: The Starman makes you completely invincible AND increases your movement speed. You can also hurt your opponents by just running into them!
    • Hammer: The Hammer is an extremely powerful weapon, capable of dealing thousands of damage per hit. And it swings fast.
    • Thunderbolt: The Thunderbolt slows down all enemies within a radius around you.
    • Golden Mushroom: Golden Mushrooms force your health to the maximum value of what normal Mushrooms can heal.
    • Ice Flower: The Ice Flower gives you a Flare Cannon that slows down whoever you hit with it significantly. It also fires faster than the Fire Flower.
    • Lazy Shell Armor: The Lazy Shell Armor cuts down all forms of damage drastically and protects against certain power-ups!
    • 1-Up Mushroom: 1-Up Mushrooms give you extra lives! Whenever you hit zero health and have extra lives, you lose an extra life instead of dying and gain invincibility for a limited time. You can carry up to 3 extra lives.
    • Bowser Suit: The longest-lasting timed Power-Up at 3 times the length, you gain a large sum of health as well as becoming painful to the touch and wielding a Fire Flower! However, you're slowed until the Power-Up wears out.

Requirements
    • Latest Version of SourceMod
    • TF2Items (Extension)
    • TF2Attributes (Plugin, literally used it for the max health variable and that's it)
    • MoreColors (Include, only needed to compile)
    • TF2 Mario Bros. Resources (Map, Models/Textures, Sounds/Music), these are located on the Github.

Special Thanks
    • Creators of TF2Items and TF2Items Give Weapon
      (Used for some of the Power-Ups!)
    • Creators of Vs. Saxton Hale
      (Took the "Force Team Win" code for the extra gamemodes. Sorry!)
    • Creator of Goomba Stomp
      (Used it as reference material.)
    • Creator of TF2 Capture Toggle
      (Used its method of handling the disabling of points and respawn rooms.)
    • Members of the SG-Servers community, and others I might've forgotten
      (A bunch of them betatested and the owner helped me host it for a short time.)
    • E-S
      (Created the custom Map and Models for the gamemode! Also betatested.)

Terms of Use Details
    1. This plugin is provided as-is. I take no responsibility
      if it somehow harms you or your computer when using it.
    2. Any changes made to the plugin, map, or models included in
      the Official "[TF2] Mario Bros." gamemode I would appreciate them
      made public and free. If hosted elsewhere, include the source code
      and resource files.
    3. The custom map "mb_koth_overworld_a1" is included with the plugin.
      All of the included model and material files, as well as this
      map, are free for public use.
    4. All copyrights pertaining to characters, music, and designs
      from both "Team Fortress 2" and "Mario" are owned by their
      respective copyright holders. This is an unlicensed fan-made
      gamemode.
    5. Any further official updates made to this gamemode are only
      going to be bug-fixes from this point on. I feel as though
      every feature I'd want is already in the gamemode. Feel free
      to make your own Power-Ups and stuff, though!

Commands and Console Variables
    • Commands
      • sm_mb_powerhints: Toggles whether or not you get Power-Up hints.
      • sm_mariohelp: Gives you a Help Menu for the gamemode mechanics.
      • sm_mb_setpowerup <target> <0-15> ("Cheat" Level): Sets a user's Power-Up to a specific Power-Up index.
    • Console Variables
      • sm_mb_jumpheight: Sets the jump height for every player. (Default: 750)
      • sm_mb_jumpdamage: Sets the damage for landing on another player. (Default: 150)
      • sm_mb_fireflowerdamage: Sets the damage that fireballs deal. (Default: 50)
      • sm_mb_powblockdamage: Sets the damage that POW Blocks deal. (Default: 40)
      • sm_mb_speedboostpwing: Multiplies your speed by this number when using the P Wing. (Default: 2.0)
      • sm_mb_poweruptimer: Sets the amount of time until your Power Up ends. (Default: 10)
      • sm_mb_leaffallspeed: Sets the terminal velocity while using the Super Leaf. (Default: -120)
      • sm_mb_mushroomhealth: Sets the amount of health a Mushroom gives you. (Default: 300)
      • sm_mb_speedbooststar: Sets the speed boost you get from a Starman. (Default: 1.5)
      • sm_mb_thunderboltdamage: Sets the percentage of damage that Lightning deals. (Default: 0.25)
      • sm_mb_bowsersuithealth: Sets the amount of health a Bowser Suit gives you. (Default: 2000)
      • sm_mb_powerdistance: The distance between the player and anyone else for certain powers to affect. (Default: 2500)
      • sm_mb_packspawndelay: How long the maximum time is before ammo packs respawn. (Default: 16)
      • sm_mb_maxhealth: Sets the amount of maximum health you start with. (Default: 300)
      • sm_mb_maxrespawns: How many times you're allowed to respawn during a round of Team Battle Arena. (Default: 5)
      • sm_mb_movespeed: How fast you can move normally. (Default: 300)
      • sm_mb_gamemode: Special Game Mode Setting. <0 = None, 1 = Team Battle Arena, 2 = Team Coin Rush> (Default: 0)
      • sm_mb_coinrushtime: How much time in seconds you have to collect coins during Coin Rush. (Default: 180)
      • sm_mb_coinrushspawntime: How much time in seconds you have before coins respawn naturally. (Default: 10)
      • sm_mb_arenatime: How much time in seconds you have until the round ends. (Default: 900)
      • sm_mb_coinrushglow: How many coins you're carrying before you start to glow. (Default: 20)
      • sm_mb_roundlimit: How many rounds can pass before a Game Mode vote occurs. (Default: 3)
      • sm_mb_roundwait: How many seconds before the round waiting period ends at the start of the round. (Default: 30)
      • sm_mb_spawnprotection: How many seconds of spawn protection you have. (Default: 2)
      • sm_mb_hudlogomsg: A generic logo which can be used for advertising and such. (Default: "")
      • sm_mb_hudlogor: The logo's color. (Red) (Default: 0)
      • sm_mb_hudlogog: The logo's color. (Green) (Default: 200)
      • sm_mb_hudlogob: The logo's color. (Blue) (Default: 100)
      • sm_mb_hudlogox: The logo's X position. (Default: 0.2)
      • sm_mb_hudlogoy: The logo's Y position. (Default: 0.92)

Mapper's Resources
    • Power-Ups
      • Weighted Power-Ups are added to maps by using the point entities "item_ammopack_small", "item_ammopack_medium", and "item_ammopack_full". The better the ammo pack, the more likely better Power-Ups will spawn.
      • Fixed Power-Ups are added to maps by using the point entity "info_target" and setting its name to "mb_powerspawn [x]", where [x] is a number between 0 and 15.
        • 0: Random Power-Up
        • 1: Fire Flower
        • 2: POW Block
        • 3: P Wing
        • 4: Goomba's Shoe
        • 5: Super Leaf
        • 6: Boo Thief
        • 7: Mushroom
        • 8: Starman
        • 9: Hammer
        • 10: Thunderbolt
        • 11: Golden Mushroom
        • 12: Ice Flower
        • 13: Lazy Shell Armor
        • 14: 1-Up Mushroom
        • 15: Bowser Suit
    • Coins
      • Coins are added to maps by using the point entity "info_target" and setting its name to "mb_coinspawn". That's about it. I recommend adding at least 40 coins to a Mario Bros. map.

Changelog
    • v1.3.0: Coin Rush double-speed timer mechanic removed, Coins now respawn and stay in-bounds, and there's now a file to add new spawn points for both Power-Ups and Coins. Also did a bit of bug-fixing, and added a Max Health cvar.
    • v1.2.0: Reworked the Coin Rush mode entirely to keep Coins team-based instead of player-based, and now they drop on the ground instead of being instantly obtained. Should be more interesting. Also, +sprint for Sprinting now.
    • v1.0.6d: Removed all music-related code, mostly commenting it out.
    • v1.0.6c: Fixes some bugs, allows the HUD to be viewable while dead, and adds "logo" cvars, which allow you to point something out. It doesn't go away, so don't make it a long message.
    • v1.0.6b: Added a new cvar (sm_mb_roundwait), fixes a Thunderbolt + P-Wing Clashing bug, makes the "Goomba Stomp" kill icon the Mantreads kill icon (Also makes the Starman the same thing, will fix later), and fixes an accidental hintbox bug with one of the Power-Ups. Also changed most of the sound effects to MP3 format.
    • v1.0.6: Added a Translation file, fixed the music sometimes not playing, and fixed the "Shuffle Power-Ups on Change Class" thing slightly.
    • v1.0.5: Added a timer (with a cvar) to Battle Arena, fixed Coin Rush's Double Countdown Speed feature, and fixed a bunch of bugs. Also gave the Bowser Suit the "Burning Bits" particle effect to make it more distinguishable.
    • v1.0.4: Fixed the music issues, added a Help Menu, added a "Weigh Down" ability, added Spawn Protection, and updated the Resource Pack, which is now on my Dropbox.
    • v1.0.3: Initial public released! Changed the Jumping Mechanics, fixed some bugs, changed some item stuff around, and added the ability to Sprint by double-tapping +forward.
    • v1.0.2: Fixed a "precache" issue with the models and materials. Also added a voting system.
    • v1.0.1: Fixed the "Models Not Downloading" issue, apparently the paths are case-sensitive.
    • v1.0: Initial private release!
    Attached Files
    File Type: txt sm_mariobros.phrases.txt (10.0 KB, 235 views)
    File Type: txt mariobros_itemspawns.txt (473 Bytes, 241 views)
    File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (sm_mariobros.sp - 167 views - 93.1 KB)
    File Type: smx sm_mariobros.smx (43.5 KB, 218 views)

Last edited by xkirby; 12-04-2019 at 13:35. Reason: You can now play as any class! Also removed some dependancies.
    robotortoise
    Old 06-23-2014 , 20:07   Re: [TF2] Mario Bros.
    Reply With Quote #2

Looks awesome!

I'll install it on my server.

Anyways, I noticed some of the sounds and music was...well, to put it nicely, kinda low-quality, in quality itself and compression. (or lack of compression, I should say.)

Anyhoo, I converted the wavs to a compressed format and I updated most of the music with high-quality loops from FLAC rips. I don't have a high-quality rip of the Superstar Saga music, unfortunately, so I couldn't do that.

Anyways, if you want anyone to help you with sounds, officially or unofficially, I'm your guy.
    PM me sometime!

-Robotortoise [Palutena's Bro]

P.S. the loop points work too
    xkirby
    Old 06-23-2014 , 20:15   Re: [TF2] Mario Bros.
    Reply With Quote #3

Thanks for compressing the music, you have no idea how much I tried to use Audacity to fix them. Does TF2 support FLAC files? Noticed they're all in WAV format. Thanks!

Also, I'm gonna reupload the plugin in a minute to fix a teensy bug. It'll still be labeled 1.0.3, so be sure to check back in about 5-10 minutes.

Last edited by xkirby; 06-23-2014 at 20:28.
    robotortoise
    Old 06-23-2014 , 20:49   Re: [TF2] Mario Bros.
    Reply With Quote #4

Er...when you say ten minutes....

EDIT: Nevermind

Last edited by robotortoise; 06-23-2014 at 22:17.
    robotortoise
    Old 06-23-2014 , 23:52   Re: [TF2] Mario Bros.
    Reply With Quote #5

Tried it out! This is awesome!

One complaint I have is that you can switch classes in spawn rapidly to get the power-up you want, aka Starman.

There should also be custom skins for each of the powerups instead of weapon boxes.

Maybe stick some Mario enemies around the map, too?

And add some more Mario-themed music and higher-quality powerup sounds. Though I can help with those
    Fearts
    ferts of daeth
    Old 06-24-2014 , 00:33   Re: [TF2] Mario Bros.
    Reply With Quote #6

Looks good. My players really like it.

Some suggestions:

1. You need to edit your res pack. The song_# files are all blank files. I added them not realizing and once I did it was too late and my players already downloaded the empty files. I had to go to your sound pack at the install section of OP and get that download. Then I had to edit the source code so it would find files with name song2_# instead of song_#.

2. You should add Weigh-down to this plugin. This will allow people to instantly drop down onto a player for better stomping action.

3. A help menu like !mario would be cool. It would list all the power ups and how to sprint and the descriptions for each game mode.

4. Spawn protection. It seems enemy team is able to get inside other teams spawn and camp them. It's pretty annoying.

5. A option for players to mute the background music if they don't want to hear it.

6. Fix background music from looping over itself. I get players telling me they hear the same sound playing 3 times at once.

7. Lives always show 0 unless you get a life mushroom. Would be nice if it showed how many total lives you had left overall.

Add me on Steam if you want to talk: http://steamcommunity.com/id/fearts/

Last edited by Fearts; 06-24-2014 at 00:41.
    xkirby
    Old 06-24-2014 , 05:37   Re: [TF2] Mario Bros.
    Reply With Quote #7

Thanks for the feedback! I apologize for the sound issues you had, I forgot that once you download the songs that it won't let you download the correct files (if you had the blank sound files). That was something I should've taken into account.

All of the other ideas you both have suggested are also nice, and I should actually go ahead and make some of those. I'm not sure about "Weigh-Down" exactly, but I'm sure I can get it to work somehow.

As for adding Enemies to the map, I don't know if that's something I can actually do with Sourcemod. Would it be map-related? If so, I'll have to ask my friend about it.

Also, there SHOULD be custom models for each of the Power-Ups inside the Resource Pack. I'll be sure to link to an updated Resource Pack later today to make sure the songs and such work.

EDIT: Added v1.0.4 to the original post! I added most of those ideas, though I can't exactly test the Spawn Protection right away.

Last edited by xkirby; 06-24-2014 at 07:52. Reason: Released a new version!
    robotortoise
    Old 06-24-2014 , 10:10   Re: [TF2] Mario Bros.
    Reply With Quote #8

Man, you're fast! :-D

But I guess the enemies would be depending on the map.
    Like, a map might be spooky themed and have boos, or be space themed and have Super Mario Galaxy enemies, yadda yada.
    xkirby
    Old 06-24-2014 , 10:56   Re: [TF2] Mario Bros.
    Reply With Quote #9

Yeah, I thought that mappers would have to make enemies. I'm no Hammer expert, so I can't help there. Still, what I have so far is nice.

I'm hoping down the line that mappers make more maps for this. I'd love to see a race map for this, which is the main reason I added Sprinting.

I hope you guys get a lot of use out of this. Try to spread the word about it, and keep me up to date with any issues you encounter. If I can fix them, I'll try to.
    Powerlord
    AlliedModders Donor
    Old 06-24-2014 , 11:04   Re: [TF2] Mario Bros.
    Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
    Originally Posted by robotortoise View Post
    Man, you're fast! :-D

But I guess the enemies would be depending on the map.
    Like, a map might be spooky themed and have boos, or be space themed and have Super Mario Galaxy enemies, yadda yada.
    TF2 doesn't have a lot of non-player AI to it:
    • Horsemann, which marks a player as It and chases them around until it one-shot axes them or it loses interest in them (can't reach them and such).
    • Monoculus, which fires rockets at players and teleports to predefined destinations.
    • Merasmus, which chases players around attacking them, randomly changes players to have bomb heads, sometimes shows up in the middle with the Bombnomicon and fires them down at people, and sometimes hides as a prop.
    • Skeletons, which chases and attacks the nearest player.

All other bots (including MvM) are player bots and take up server slots. That's why MvM requires a 32-player server, but only allows up to 6 players and 4 spectators (or 10 players using plugins).

Last edited by Powerlord; 06-24-2014 at 11:05.