Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Compile from memory

Post New Thread Reply   

ajr1234
Old 09-03-2012 , 11:41   Compile from memory
Reply With Quote #1

If I have a pawn script stored as a string in memory, would it be possible to compile and load that script? I was looking at g_pSM->GetScriptingEngine()->LoadFromFilePointer and LoadFromMemory, but there's no documentation for them (and they are deprecated), not to mention the compilation part.

Last edited by ajr1234; 09-03-2012 at 12:00.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 09-03-2012 , 12:13   Re: Compile from memory
Reply With Quote #2

I think this needs to be stepped back a bit, you've gone too far with no direction.

What is your actual, high-level, goal here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#goal
If you are trying to find out how to do something (as opposed to reporting a bug), begin by describing the goal. Only then describe the particular step towards it that you are blocked on.

Often, people who need technical help have a high-level goal in mind and get stuck on what they think is one particular path towards the goal. They come for help with the step, but don't realize that the path is wrong. It can take substantial effort to get past this.

Last edited by asherkin; 09-03-2012 at 12:15.
Zephyrus
Cool Pig B)
Old 09-03-2012 , 12:57   Re: Compile from memory
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
I think this needs to be stepped back a bit, you've gone too far with no direction.

What is your actual, high-level, goal here?
first thing that came to my mind:
probably wants to download an sp on-the-fly and compile it on-the-fly to workaround sharing code or something

not accusing anyone with anything so apologize me if you had no intentions to do such
Old 09-03-2012 , 15:57   Re: Compile from memory
Reply With Quote #4

Basically I am trying to design a Visual Studio extension for pawn scripting, with breakpoints, debugger functionality, etc. I've gotten somewhat far with it, but I'm losing motivation at the same time. So far I've got "real-time" compilation (works terribly), code completion, and project solution tree working (for any plugin with code spread out over multiple includes) with Berni's SMLib tossed somewhere in there. Hitting compile will automatically compile the plugin and drop it into sourcemod's plugin folder and start the game with -insecure enabled with the debugger attached to the process.

I was trying to understand how the JIT works, how it manages memory, etc. but its complexity is beyond me, so I figured I would write an extension instead and see if I can simulate some things by modifying the plugin and recompiling on the fly.

Edit: I figured it out. I compiled the plugin on a separate thread and put the main thread to sleep only when needed.

Last edited by ajr1234; 09-03-2012 at 23:13.
BAILOPAN
Old 09-04-2012 , 18:50   Re: Compile from memory
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr1234 View Post
Basically I am trying to design a Visual Studio extension for pawn scripting, with breakpoints, debugger functionality, etc.
Cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr1234 View Post
I was trying to understand how the JIT works, how it manages memory, etc. but its complexity is beyond me, so I figured I would write an extension instead and see if I can simulate some things by modifying the plugin and recompiling on the fly.
The SP1 API does not provide any live debugging functionality. In theory it could be possible by modifying the JIT to (1) implement the debug-break functionality (not too hard) and (2) provide a reasonable API for inspecting the stack (harder, but possible).

I don't quite understand the route you're going but it sounds difficult.

SP2 development is in progress and though I don't have any immediate plans for live debugging, I would like to expose a reasonable API for it. It's good to know where SP1 lacks.
Old 09-07-2012 , 11:15   Re: Compile from memory
Reply With Quote #6

That sounds great! I'll look forward to SP2.