Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Can NFO handle 3 servers?

Post New Thread Reply   

gamemann
Veteran Member
Old 11-27-2011 , 13:28   Can NFO handle 3 servers?
Reply With Quote #1

Hello. I was wondering if nfo vps servers can handle some servers i am going to list.

The servers are:
- Ze server(50 slots)
- Ze server unlimited ammo(50 slots)
- roundless dust2(50 slots, deathmatch)

NFO package is single core.
http://www.nfoservers.com/order-virt...ted-server.php
Code:
Single core: Perfect for 1-3 game servers or intense website.  
One full, dedicated HT CPU core (Nehalem or better)
1024 MB of RAM
100 GB of hard drive space
1000 GB of InterNAP bandwidth transfer
Please tell me!
thanks,
gamemann

Check out my GitHub here!
Send a message via Skype™ to gamemann
Paparazziv2
Old 11-27-2011 , 13:47   Re: Can NFO handle 3 servers?
Reply With Quote #2

1 core?, not is recommendable, the Zombie:Reloaded use more resourses than other mods. and deathmatch (I recommend 1 server of Ze (50 slots) and one for 24 deathmatch..(not with the better performance, sorry for the englishn :p

Send a message via MSN to Paparazziv2
AeroAcrobat
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-27-2011 , 15:35   Re: Can NFO handle 3 servers?
Reply With Quote #3

How much ram does css use?
My tf2 server uses ~400-500mb (Surf DM/32slots)
and its on a vserver.

so you can only use max. 300mb for each game server

you could also try the free trial that they offer (new customers)

it would be nice to know what kind of cpu it is.
but these are 150 slots im sure you cant run on that vserver.

Last edited by AeroAcrobat; 11-27-2011 at 15:36.
Drixevel
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-27-2011 , 15:41   Re: Can NFO handle 3 servers?
Reply With Quote #4

It could probably run 3 24 slot servers perfectly fine...?
linglingftw
Old 11-28-2011 , 05:35   Re: Can NFO handle 3 servers?
Reply With Quote #5

I don't understand why you keep constantly asking these "will this run" questions..
Haven't you already got your servers set up? What are you hosting them on? Just yourself..
Are you happy with the current performance? If your not you should look at upgrading from what you have.

Personally I would look at getting something with better spec's to run any sort of game servers. Regardless of what people say VPS's are not ideal for hosting game servers as resources are shared.
I don't know much about your "local" providers / NFO but it appears they're a reasonably large company which means they probably oversell their services.
They don't state what sort of virtualization they use which makes me wonder if they're oversold. If $30 is your budget you might be out of luck for hosting what you want.

Sure you probably could run the servers you want off a cheap vps but you won't get great performance out of them to say the least.
See if they offer any sort of money back deal or ask them for a test server. Then again if you get a trial server remember 3 empty servers use less resources so try to and get them filled up.

Edit: NFO say they give you "One full, dedicated HT CPU core" ..
The way that's worded makes me think they give you a "vitual hyperthreaded core" instead of a physical core.. Going back to over sold hosts..
Just thought I'd mention that after I saw the HT.

Last edited by linglingftw; 11-28-2011 at 05:50.
gamemann
Veteran Member
Old 11-28-2011 , 06:42   Re: Can NFO handle 3 servers?
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingftw View Post
I don't understand why you keep constantly asking these "will this run" questions..
Haven't you already got your servers set up? What are you hosting them on? Just yourself..
Are you happy with the current performance? If your not you should look at upgrading from what you have.

Personally I would look at getting something with better spec's to run any sort of game servers. Regardless of what people say VPS's are not ideal for hosting game servers as resources are shared.
I don't know much about your "local" providers / NFO but it appears they're a reasonably large company which means they probably oversell their services.
They don't state what sort of virtualization they use which makes me wonder if they're oversold. If $30 is your budget you might be out of luck for hosting what you want.

Sure you probably could run the servers you want off a cheap vps but you won't get great performance out of them to say the least.
See if they offer any sort of money back deal or ask them for a test server. Then again if you get a trial server remember 3 empty servers use less resources so try to and get them filled up.

Edit: NFO say they give you "One full, dedicated HT CPU core" ..
The way that's worded makes me think they give you a "vitual hyperthreaded core" instead of a physical core.. Going back to over sold hosts..
Just thought I'd mention that after I saw the HT.
1. I am just wondering since i don't know if it can or not -.-
2. I am getting a dedicated machine from nfo, that is 259$ a month.

Check out my GitHub here!
Send a message via Skype™ to gamemann
Jstn7477
Old 11-28-2011 , 11:12   Re: Can NFO handle 3 servers?
Reply With Quote #7

VDS systems are sold by threads, not physical cores. I can only run a single 24 slot TF2 server with Replay on mine, possibly a 28 or 32.

Also, linglingftw, I don't believe you have used NFO before if you are saying they are an "oversold host". A full CPU core would be worthless for how much memory they give per thread (1GB).

They use Xen virtualization by the way.

Last edited by Jstn7477; 11-28-2011 at 11:58.
culexor
Old 11-29-2011 , 17:35   Re: Can NFO handle 3 servers?
Reply With Quote #8

I have the 2 core package from NFO and mine is pretty loaded up with servers. I run 4 HL2DM servers and a Minecraft server on mine without any trouble. Granted, the total number of players rarely goes over 30.

Back when I had just 2 (more popular) servers on the single core plan, it could handle about 40 total players before I started to notice any issues.

I'm almost positive NFO sells by thread and not by physical core. However, the performance is still pretty darn good. They use good hardware on their machines. The CPU that is powering my VDS is a Xeon L5640 @ 2.26 Ghz.

Hope this helps.
linglingftw
Old 12-01-2011 , 14:20   Re: Can NFO handle 3 servers?
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstn7477 View Post
VDS systems are sold by threads, not physical cores. I can only run a single 24 slot TF2 server with Replay on mine, possibly a 28 or 32.

Also, linglingftw, I don't believe you have used NFO before if you are saying they are an "oversold host". A full CPU core would be worthless for how much memory they give per thread (1GB).

They use Xen virtualization by the way.
My friend sells virtual servers aimed towards game servers in Australia.
I stated that I don't know alot about NFO or any other "foreign" hosts.

I was only trying to say they don't give alot of info which in my mind would make be believe they over sold. If they had started on their site they used Xen I wouldn't have bought it up. Then again I'd rather have 2-4 shared cores then 1 virtual core if I was to run more then 1 server but that wasn't in the question.

Once again gamemann I wasn't trying to be rude with the budget just wondering why you keep bringing the question up? You're looking at a dedicated box and also virtual servers?
Jstn7477
Old 12-01-2011 , 14:39   Re: Can NFO handle 3 servers?
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingftw View Post
My friend sells virtual servers aimed towards game servers in Australia.
I stated that I don't know alot about NFO or any other "foreign" hosts.

I was only trying to say they don't give alot of info which in my mind would make be believe they over sold. If they had started on their site they used Xen I wouldn't have bought it up. Then again I'd rather have 2-4 shared cores then 1 virtual core if I was to run more then 1 server but that wasn't in the question.

Once again gamemann I wasn't trying to be rude with the budget just wondering why you keep bringing the question up? You're looking at a dedicated box and also virtual servers?
No problem, I think I overreacted a bit and I apologize. Yeah, it does come off a bit as looking like an oversold host, but they are actually quite high quality.