Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?

Post New Thread Reply   

fragnichtnach
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-19-2018 , 01:28   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #111

One question: How many tokens are currently banned per week? Is it still 3 per week or did Valve increase the banwave-periods?
A_RM
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-19-2018 , 11:57   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragnichtnach View Post
OmegaLUL. Every damn drug dealer could bring up the same reason.
You are providing illegal shit and serving an illegal market. If you don't care how many players are playing on your server stop providing illegal shit. But you care for your player count. Everything else I can't believe, if you are hosting !ws-!knife-plugins.
Your opinion about "providing illegal shit" is fair to make, but making false assumptions doesn't contribute anything towards a real argument point...

Either way, I don't think your drug dealer argument is that great. Sure it's illegal but it's not like I'm out here slinging heroine or something... Pretend you smoke weed, a pretty socially accepted drug, you're going to buy it from a dealer. The dealer is breaking the law, but is that going to stop you? No, you just want what they can gives you because you can't get it legally. I don't smoke weed but I'm not gonna go around judging every pot smoke or dealer, they can do what they want it's their choice.

But just take a step back for a second and realize that you're trying to compare selling drugs to having a !ws plugin to support your argument. Just outright silly in my opinion.
DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Old 07-19-2018 , 15:23   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_RM View Post
Either way, I don't think your drug dealer argument is that great. Sure it's illegal but it's not like I'm out here slinging heroine or something... Pretend you smoke weed, a pretty socially accepted drug, you're going to buy it from a dealer. The dealer is breaking the law, but is that going to stop you? No, you just want what they can gives you because you can't get it legally. I don't smoke weed but I'm not gonna go around judging every pot smoke or dealer, they can do what they want it's their choice.

But just take a step back for a second and realize that you're trying to compare selling drugs to having a !ws plugin to support your argument. Just outright silly in my opinion.
No matter how silly you believe the comparison is, the phrase is literally the same for both things:

If no one wanted the drugs, the drug dealer would be gone easily.

If no one wanted your skins, you could (but would you?) take them away easily, according to your statement.

Personally, I would more likely have compared it towards pirate copies / illegal distribution of copyrighted material, than to drugs. Purchasing the item on the Steam Market grants you the license, without, ... "pirate copy".

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].
fragnichtnach
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-20-2018 , 02:43   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #114

Of course your illegal product does not kill people like hard drugs does. Probably your comparision to a weed dealer is hitting it better. With the difference that the weed dealer is not a danger for our right to host servers.

Legally speaking you are providing copyright items. Valve could easily take the legal path and sue you for damages. Not sure how much you would have to pay and if every court will see it this way. But if you are living in a country that is partnering with the USA, there is a big danger for you to pay thousands of dollars. And of course everybody providing a server is easiely trackable.

The crazy thing is that even big organizations like HSFactory from France and some other big server hosters from G7 countries doesn't care about it.
sorrybro
BANNED
Old 07-20-2018 , 03:24   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #115

Honestly I think those that use skin plugins are a few in comparison to the number of successful servers that don't. I don't see why large communities with hundreds of loyal players would risk what they've built by doing something stupid. The ones I see using skin plugins are usually dead water servers with few to noone playing in them.

If valve wants to really deal with this, they should patch it like they did with TF2 mdl attachments on playermodels. But I can only assume the problem hasn't escalated and it hasn't affected their business model in selling skins (may even help people want to buy the legit one more). Valve simply doesn't need to spend more time and effort patching this, in my opinion, and the threat of server bans are pretty intimating and should deter abusers a bit.

Besides, having fake skins in one server is kind of lame and has little value. Thought about that?

The internet will always have trolls, but if it is minimal, sometimes it's not worth the extra time to deal with it.
fragnichtnach
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-20-2018 , 05:31   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrybro View Post
Honestly I think those that use skin plugins are a few in comparison to the number of successful servers that don't.
https://www.gametracker.com/search/csgo/?query=%21ws

7 out of the top20 CS:GO servers are advertising their !ws-plugin in their name. Not sure if any of the other 13 servers are using it. But probably!

It is not a minority!
ghostofmybrain
Veteran Member
Old 07-20-2018 , 08:50   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #117

Quote:
I don't see why large communities with hundreds of loyal players would risk what they've built by doing something stupid.
What risk? Nothing happens to them.
sorrybro
BANNED
Old 07-20-2018 , 22:36   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #118

Seems like you're right fragnichtnach, I was wrong on that one statement about popular community owners not using it. Well I recall that one ban wave with a lot of abusers getting their token banned. Perhaps it is put aside until later for the devs to deal with this one. I guess this one they simply could care less at the moment, as I don't see why it would be hard for them to deal with this with an occasional simple ip blacklist for their main gameserver browser. Like have it last for 6 months and by then it will die off.

As a player, having skins on servers is not as valuable as having it for real where I can actually show it off on MM and actually have real value.

edit* after reading some comments on this on reddit, it truly may be what I said about valve not seeing it as a threat, for now. https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffen..._servers_that/

Last edited by sorrybro; 07-20-2018 at 22:45.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 07-21-2018 , 05:43   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #119

That thread is mostly incorrect information, servers are automatically reported for providing fake skins, it doesn’t require any user interaction, and the tokens of every server reported are automatically banned 3 times a week. Valve DO ban every server breaking the rules, those servers just buy “black market” tokens 3 times a week so they stay up and you don’t notice.

Last edited by asherkin; 07-21-2018 at 12:51. Reason: Add missing words.
nosoop
Veteran Member
Old 07-21-2018 , 06:03   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #120

Quote:
I don't see why it would be hard for them to deal with this with an occasional simple ip blacklist for their main gameserver browser. Like have it last for 6 months and by then it will die off.
If you blacklist by IP / port combination, dedicated server owners can run the server on another port. If you blacklist purely by IP address, other server owners on the same address (in the case of hosting by game server providers) will be negatively impacted.

Limiting the number of granted tokens (even for a probationary period) might help reduce the "black market" token supply by making each one more expensive. I can't imagine any one person being the legitimate primary manager of 1000 active, registered game servers, let alone a few dozen.