Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

No MOTD in Panorama

Post New Thread Reply   

SHUFEN
Old 07-20-2018 , 00:47   Re: No MOTD in Panorama
Reply With Quote #71

Ads often becomes a controversy but it has not reached the essence of MOTD.
Actually this update is not good for the all of community servers.
We can't show up the information for anything like the local rules of server, updates, how to play game if unique server. Also html based music plugins.
Overall this should fixed by Valve.
Send a message via Skype™ to SHUFEN
sorrybro
BANNED
Old 07-20-2018 , 03:11   Re: No MOTD in Panorama
Reply With Quote #72

ASKER_CZ how old are you? Please don't comment if you are going to say some ridiculous things. There are server owners who actually have good arguments for keeping MOTD (yes with ads) despite the bias from some members and moderators here.

Just because a corporation puts something in their terms of service doesn't mean they will litigate and take action, especially if the result is benefiting them. Take for example the NBA highlight clips you see on youtube (which also run ads btw), they are all technically going against NBA's legal terms but Adam Silver (the commissioner of the NBA) literally supported content creators despite his simple minded lawyers telling him to sue for profit. Terms are set to protect the company's IP and often used as a defensive until the company decides to take action.
Article here: https://www.sporttechie.com/adam-sil...ights-youtube/

This analogy applies here, Valve is clearly aware of motd ad services and I'm sure it isn't part of their priorities but they haven't disabled motd's until Panorama UI. Whether it was intentional or it is going to be fixed later, it's doesn't take much to understand how important motd ads are to many community owners and how it brings more people into building new micro communities and even support innovation for developers (more people involved, more interest from developers). I don't understand the hate against servers that run ads since no one is forced to play in these servers and many players purposely play on them to support good servers. Honestly, it's pretty sad to see people wanting people to lose something so valuable because it's tied to money when honestly nothing is forced on anyone to watch these ads. Some people actually struggle pretty bad financially and doing something they love and contributing while getting help financially to pay for server bills and for their time is nothing wrong.

Not to mention the moderators in this community is taking sides and showing bias also, says a lot about this community too. I'm a fan of this site but this just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Just my opinion.

Last edited by sorrybro; 07-20-2018 at 03:35.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 07-20-2018 , 03:24   Re: No MOTD in Panorama
Reply With Quote #73

We’re just people, we’re allowed to have opinions. If you can’t decouple our opinions from our janitorial duties I’d say that is your problem.
Old 07-20-2018 , 03:33   Re: No MOTD in Panorama
Reply With Quote #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
We’re just people, we’re allowed to have opinions. If you can’t decouple our opinions from our janitorial duties I’d say that is your problem.
I wouldn't say it's janitorial as you guys do great work, and I appreciate that. Just wished the leaders of the community or at least 1 of them would have a say for the members here that support motd ads. I'm all for people who donate their time like you, but I don't see why some less fortunate people have to pay (figuratively) for something that doesn't make sense to me. People, you have the choice to not play in the servers that run ads! Not to mention some people work hard to support players that play on their servers, including the motd services that have been long time SUPPORTIVE members here too!

Hope my point isn't too disagreeable. Sorry if I offended you asherkin, and again thanks for your work and to the rest of the leaders here.
ghostofmybrain
Veteran Member
Old 07-20-2018 , 08:46   Re: No MOTD in Panorama
Reply With Quote #75

Why would you expect the leaders of an open source, ad-free community, to come out in support of running add to pay for you to "rent out" valve's skins?
dedimark
Old 07-20-2018 , 15:19   Re: No MOTD in Panorama
Reply With Quote #76

Did anyone, get a reply, about motd, from Valve?
ASKER_CZ
BANNED
Old 07-20-2018 , 15:38   Re: No MOTD in Panorama
Reply With Quote #77

No , and probably no one will . In my opinion - they dont really care about feedback . They just mentined their email to look like "they care" , even tho they don't
Dr!fter
The Salt Boss
Old 07-20-2018 , 17:11   Re: No MOTD in Panorama
Reply With Quote #78

They seem to care about everything I’ve complained about that was meaningful, pretty interesting. Also, we are gamers the same as other normal players. I like being able to hear and not have a bitcoin miner running behind the scenes. I’d bet that most of the player base appreciates not having those. But nope, they don’t care.
ghostofmybrain
Veteran Member
Old 07-20-2018 , 18:27   Re: No MOTD in Panorama
Reply With Quote #79

Yeah I feel like they've done a great job in the past of fixing things that are brought up in a meaningful way. If it's just "wow GG valvo you guys suck" it doesn't do much, but people who have emailed them with actual issues generally get responses.
sorrybro
BANNED
Old 07-20-2018 , 21:43   Re: No MOTD in Panorama
Reply With Quote #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofmybrain View Post
Why would you expect the leaders of an open source, ad-free community, to come out in support of running add to pay for you to "rent out" valve's skins?
Why would you fabricate your response like that? When did I say it's okay to "rent out" valve skins? What does running ads have to do with selling people to pay for pseudo skins? Since when does ad-free make things open source? Since when does open source mean no financial support whatsoever? There are plenty of open source platforms that run ads or other profit models like backings from filthy rich foundations or simple pay to use subscriptions. What makes them open source is that people can copy the code, see the code, and even use the code for running similar projects. Did you know Mozilla Firefox depends on ads to keep their operations running? They promote google search engines and even blog posts now. Open source still applys here, plenty of owners run similar projects without running ads, if they can afford to. Not much of a problem with ads, it's still open source.

Also your comment about someone saying "valvo sucks" is not representative towards all server owners. This is an individual's immaturity not a representation of every owner that run ads.

You seem to ignore all my points and not address them, while making absurd arguments. Maybe you should keep "boycott ESEA" and ads (like it says in your signature) since you are free to not play in platforms that bother you for whatever reason, instead of fabricating poor arguments while not addressing the points I've made.

@Dr!fter, we're not running adware behind player's backs. They are fully made aware that by playing on the servers that run ads, they are helping the community financially. Players don't mind it as you generalize and some players that do, simply have all the choice to not play in the server. It's not intrusive as you say it is. And we do care, it's just not everyone can run gaming server without financial support, and to say if we are not rich enough to do what we love, is sort of like what has been said here before about how artists shouldn't have any financial backing because some people feel that only the rich can do things.

This is an actual issue for obvious reasons stated in my previous post. Why do you think people are discussing this and emails are being sent out in the first place. This is obviously not the best place for people to make an argument as there seem to be a lot of members against ads here, and opens opportunities for scrutiny, but it is an important part of the source engine games community and could use all the help possible as plenty of members here want to keep motd.

You guys can have all the opinions you want, I'm just countering it with logic, rather than ignoring them.

Last edited by sorrybro; 07-20-2018 at 22:01.