Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

?'s About Using Steam CMD Update Tool

Post New Thread Reply   

Deathrow Bo Dean
Old 08-06-2019 , 14:29   ?'s About Using Steam CMD Update Tool
Reply With Quote #1

I've been using the Steam CMD tool for Windows for a few years now to update my CSS and L4D2 dedicated server files.
When I launch my server and I get the "Please update you server" message from Steam this is what I do after I've connected to Steam and downloaded the files.

1. I put the newly downloaded server files on the C drive of the dedicated server.
2. I open the new server folder and rename the Addons folder, Motd and Host files.
3. I replace the renamed with the same from the old out of dste server.
4. I also replace the new Sourcemod cfg folder with the older Sourcemod cfg folder.
5. I add my old server.cfg file to the cfg folder.
6. I launch the server.

My ? is: Is there a quicker or better way to update the server files? Does Steam CMD have another way or newer to update so I can just update the out of date server files so I won't have to do the the first 5 steps that I indicate above?
TomL.
Veteran Member
Old 08-06-2019 , 14:51   Re: ?'s About Using Steam CMD Update Tool
Reply With Quote #2

I will use Half-Life 2: Deathmatch for this example...

Create a shortcut of the steamcmd.exe, go to the shortcut properties and in the target field add

Code:
+runscript hl2dm.txt
Now create in the same folder a txt named hl2dm with the following content but change the path of force_install_dir to your server directory and app_update 232370 to the one of the game you want to update

Code:
login anonymous
force_install_dir C:\myservers\hl2dm
app_update 232370 validate
quit
Now just simply run the shortcut and it will update the server for you.
If you have multiple servers just repeat the steps but also change the name of the txt.

Last edited by TomL.; 08-06-2019 at 14:54.
PC Gamer
Veteran Member
Old 08-08-2019 , 21:45   Re: ?'s About Using Steam CMD Update Tool
Reply With Quote #3

TomL is correct. There is no point in you renaming or altering your addons folder since a Valve update won't touch those.

Using the steps presented by TomL will allow you to simply doubleclick on your newly created shortcut to update or validate your server files. No need to rename/delete/copy anything.

I run a TF2 Server. I have a separate directory called steamcmd with all of the steam cmd files. In that folder, I created two files....

First file: called: C:\steamcmd\update.bat
Quote:
steamcmd +runscript tf2update.txt
Second file: called: c:\steamcmd\tf2update.txt
Quote:
login anonymous
force_install_dir C:\TF2Server
app_update 232250 validate
quit
When I need to update, I simply go to a command prompt and type:
Quote:
CD\STEAMCMD
UPDATE
When it is done, I type: EXIT

You're done!
Deathrow Bo Dean
Old 08-09-2019 , 17:37   Re: ?'s About Using Steam CMD Update Tool
Reply With Quote #4

Ok Thanks for the Reply's. Now let me try to understand just what you are telling me. I've been getting the updated files from Steam using SteamCmd on a different server than I use for the my dedicated L4D2 and CSS servers. I was doing the update that way so the update would not affect any of the working server files. So if i understand just what you are saying is that my working Addons folder, the Motd file, the Host file and the CFG folder with SM folder inside of it, won't be overwritten. And assuming I try to do this your way with a shortcut, all I'll have to do is just restart the server again without having to add or rename anything?
Also are you telling me that I won't have to use the CMD Terminal at all?

My understanding of TomL's suggestion:
STEP #1 +runscript left4dead2
STEP #2 login anonymous
force_install_dir C:\myserver\left4dead2
app_update 222860 validate
quit
-------------------------------------
For PCGamer's way I also have SteamCMD in a folder on a different PC from my Dedicated Server. So I quess that i will have to put that folder on the computer that I use to host the games. I do not have Steam on that server so I guess I will have to use logon anonymous to download the files.

I just downloaded a new Steamcmd and I used 77zip to extract it from it's compressed folder. I now have a folder C:\SteamCmd\ with steamdcmd (application) inside of it. Do I place the what you suggest instde that folder along with the steamcmd application?

Last edited by Deathrow Bo Dean; 08-09-2019 at 17:51. Reason: adding text
PC Gamer
Veteran Member
Old 08-09-2019 , 23:50   Re: ?'s About Using Steam CMD Update Tool
Reply With Quote #5

Yes. You are correct.
TomL.
Veteran Member
Old 08-10-2019 , 08:04   Re: ?'s About Using Steam CMD Update Tool
Reply With Quote #6

... just send me your steam profile link or any other contact details via PM and I will show you everything