Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Clean Up for this year!

Post New Thread Reply   

Mathias.
Veteran Member
Old 12-26-2013 , 17:09   Clean Up for this year!
Reply With Quote #1

It would be nice to have a cleanup into the whole metamod:source section and sourcemod extension to improve search for new coders (not like old coder like it either). Many of them are just broke, source code link dead (or even the extension itself link is dead) or support is gone.

It would be nice to see those section more active and I think because many of the threads are trash it just make dev moral down when it come to ask help, do help or looking for source code to learn from them.

Thank You, hope to get heard.
Rads
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-26-2013 , 18:14   Re: Clean Up for this year!
Reply With Quote #2

Yeah i go long with this forum needs one big Overhaul i feel been like this for far to long,

OK here is what i would do Approved Plugins & New Plugins
needs to have Sub-Forums for mods like, tf2 l4d css csgo and so on
remove old posts older then 1 year maybe 2 years

i would go on but well im sure this will never be done any time soon being its been this way for years ...
Veteran Member
Old 12-26-2013 , 18:23   Re: Clean Up for this year!
Reply With Quote #3

Subforums based on individual games would not work.

I would like to see a tag system introduced, however, which would improve the queries from searching, thereby producing less threads made with similar questions.
Old 12-26-2013 , 19:40   Re: Clean Up for this year!
Reply With Quote #4

I think the idea of moving off-topic & general chat sections to a new section entirely instead of the AMX section would be lovely.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-26-2013 , 20:43   Re: Clean Up for this year!
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Rabbit View Post
It would be nice to have a cleanup into the whole metamod:source section and sourcemod extension to improve search for new coders (not like old coder like it either). Many of them are just broke, source code link dead (or even the extension itself link is dead) or support is gone.

It would be nice to see those section more active and I think because many of the threads are trash it just make dev moral down when it come to ask help, do help or looking for source code to learn from them.

Thank You, hope to get heard.
SM Extensions and MM:S plugins don't go through the whole approval process, which is why you find the dead ones mixed in with the working ones.

I probably also don't need to point out that they tend to break more often as the various SDKs change.
Veteran Member
Old 12-27-2013 , 02:32   Re: Clean Up for this year!
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rads View Post
Yeah i go long with this forum needs one big Overhaul i feel been like this for far to long,

OK here is what i would do Approved Plugins & New Plugins
needs to have Sub-Forums for mods like, tf2 l4d css csgo and so on
remove old posts older then 1 year maybe 2 years

i would go on but well im sure this will never be done any time soon being its been this way for years ...
I was hoping for this for years, but I'm just trying to be realistic here, not like someone will do something about it for real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
SM Extensions and MM:S plugins don't go through the whole approval process, which is why you find the dead ones mixed in with the working ones.

I probably also don't need to point out that they tend to break more often as the various SDKs change.
Total disagreement.

It have nothing to do with approval, trash is trash and it need to be filter, over 90% of metamod source thread are outdated, dead links, bad for health, it just painful, people are scared to press on "newtopic" button for asking help or even searching in those section because 90% of these post just have nothing useful, same for the exts, there is less but allots of the exts are either unsupported, have dead links, no helpful information.

It like telling me that I am allow to create 100 new topic with nothing on it.

Who like to live with corpse all around them, let cleanup the battlefield, no matter how lazy we are.

EDIT: I'm tired, I'm saying shit, anyway the verdict is that we need a clean up.

Thx bai

Last edited by Mathias.; 12-27-2013 at 02:40.
Bacardi
Veteran Member
Old 12-27-2013 , 03:06   Re: Clean Up for this year!
Reply With Quote #7

Old threads:
For some, they can be a treasures, when search/read/find all those good posts.
For others it's junk.

Just keep them all untouched.
Dead links file name can help a lot when hit them in google search
Snaggle
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-27-2013 , 04:21   Re: Clean Up for this year!
Reply With Quote #8

I would like to see the dependencies showing up properly and also perhaps see about a few more includes on the webcompiler? But I do agree this place needs a bit of a sort through, it's not the most disorganised forum but it could do with a bit of cleaning.
randunel
Old 12-27-2013 , 11:12   Re: Clean Up for this year!
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi View Post
Old threads:
For some, they can be a treasures, when search/read/find all those good posts.
For others it's junk.

Just keep them all untouched.
Dead links file name can help a lot when hit them in google search
I have recently tried to develop my first plugin, and the old posts with code snippets, what people tried and where they failed/succeeded have proved of great value, whether the plugins were up to date or not, so I agree with keeping them.

I would have nothing against a better search/support functionality on the website, since the main Sourcemod plugin search is less useful than the forum searches.

Last edited by randunel; 12-27-2013 at 11:13.
Mathias.
Veteran Member
Old 12-27-2013 , 21:38   Re: Clean Up for this year!
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by randunel View Post
I have recently tried to develop my first plugin, and the old posts with code snippets, what people tried and where they failed/succeeded have proved of great value, whether the plugins were up to date or not, so I agree with keeping them.

I would have nothing against a better search/support functionality on the website, since the main Sourcemod plugin search is less useful than the forum searches.
We talking about C++ sections where most of the time, there is no code showing up, just an example of one thread that could be gone long ago.

Sourcepawn is pretty active so everything that is new going on the top, but sadly it aint the same for C++ sections and in my POV activity is affected by those trash threads.