Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

admin_mysql_bans for amxbans v2.0

Post New Thread Reply   

GIR
Old 04-15-2004 , 18:04  
Reply With Quote #11

I really don't know. For me it has worked just fine, manualy and via menu. Although I have never banned [NO C-D] players.
Gunny
Old 04-16-2004 , 14:18  
Reply With Quote #12

I am having trouble with my 4th server which is running warcraft3FT not loading any admins.
I get the following message.
Quote:
[Amxx] 0 Admins loaded.
which tells me that it is connecting to the database, but not loading the info.

I can also see that it is saving information into the database because it is saving XP.

I downloaded the all in one package that included Amxmodx+metamodX+warcraft3FT.

My 3 other servers are
CS1= FF admins load fine
CS2= Clan Server admins load fine.
CS3= CSDM Mod admins load fine

Also when I look in the Server Management page of the amxbans system, I dont see my FT server listed, so I can not enable it.

Any help would be great.
TEAM FORTRESS 2 - 70.85.30.25:27015
COUNTER-STRIKE SOURCE - 70.85.30.22:27015
COUNTER-STRIKE SOURCE DEATH MATCH - 70.85.30.23:27015
GIR
Old 04-16-2004 , 16:46  
Reply With Quote #13

Did you install amxbans v2.0 correctly?
Gunny
Old 04-16-2004 , 17:52  
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIR
Did you install amxbans v2.0 correctly?
I am assuming I did since I have 3 other servers that have connected to it and have have added bans to the system without any problems.

I was just wondering if there are known problems with it and FT.
TEAM FORTRESS 2 - 70.85.30.25:27015
COUNTER-STRIKE SOURCE - 70.85.30.22:27015
COUNTER-STRIKE SOURCE DEATH MATCH - 70.85.30.23:27015
Morpheus
Old 04-16-2004 , 19:28  
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIR
I really don't know. For me it has worked just fine, manualy and via menu. Although I have never banned [NO C-D] players.
Well I have no problems banning manually in game either, but menus dont work! HLGUARD works perfectly, correction made by Jekyl!.. But menus nooooo way!

Kind regards

Morpheus
ymboc
Old 04-16-2004 , 22:15  
Reply With Quote #16

Semi OT: This really needs to be modified to support threads (ie mthread - does that work in amxmodx?)....

yomama has said (previously in the amxmod forums) that it doesnt slow or lag his server which may very well be true... but in my case, and for anyone whos' running reserved slots and has a fairly full server it should be pretty noticable....

I encourage anyone who runs this plugin (as I do - but still under amxmod) to do repeated amx_find commands (from hlsw) and see the ping jump...

Other than that this plugin is good stuff has made my life a heck of a lot easier.

Cheers.
Old 04-16-2004 , 22:41  
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymboc
Semi OT: This really needs to be modified to support threads (ie mthread - does that work in amxmodx?)....

yomama has said (previously in the amxmod forums) that it doesnt slow or lag his server which may very well be true... but in my case, and for anyone whos' running reserved slots and has a fairly full server it should be pretty noticable....

I encourage anyone who runs this plugin (as I do - but still under amxmod) to do repeated amx_find commands (from hlsw) and see the ping jump...

Other than that this plugin is good stuff has made my life a heck of a lot easier.

Cheers.
Aha.... You do realize that this is exactly the same as admin_mysql except the SQL query is a little different. Apart from that it is the same damn plugin provided with amxmod x. Now if this plugin would cause lag, then the regular admin_mysql plugin would cause lag aswell, which would mean that people would start complaining about it.

Nobody, except you, is complaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny
I am assuming I did since I have 3 other servers that have connected to it and have have added bans to the system without any problems.

I was just wondering if there are known problems with it and FT.
With this plugin you can also set access per admin, per server. The only thing that I can think off is that you didn't set any priviliges for the 4th server and hence no admin'd get loaded.
ymboc
Old 04-17-2004 , 00:33  
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIR
Aha.... You do realize that this is exactly the same as admin_mysql except the SQL query is a little different. Apart from that it is the same damn plugin provided with amxmod x. Now if this plugin would cause lag, then the regular admin_mysql plugin would cause lag aswell, which would mean that people would start complaining about it.

<sarcasm>Oh that's constructive. </sarcasm> sigh....

This plugin does a fair bit more than admin_mysql. In addition to granting admin rights it checks every user at every connect to see if they're banned from the server or not... one query per every connect. Do you see the potential for lag?

The actual assigning of admin privs doesn’t cause lag - I will agree to that, because from what I can tell it queries the db only once per map change (vs every time a user connects). However, the bans are a different story altogether - it queries the db on every connect.

So now... putting 2 and 2 together.... On a full server, with a reserved slot, the server maintains an open slot for players to connect to (and check if they have access to reserved slots). Throw in a couple of players who are determined to hammer the server until they get on and you have a recipe for lag.

You can measure the effects of a single such query to the database by executing the amx_find command that is included in the plugin (Did you try this before you proceeded to flame me? - I suspect not). Now maybe your sql server is right next to your cs server and is doing nothing but hosting that one database, then surely the 'issue' is less visible. But you know what, run several successive amx_find's (hold down enter in hlsw if you must ) and you'll see what I mean despite that.

The problem does exist. No, it doesn’t make the game unplayable but it does cause blips in the ping.

Furthermore this issue has been brought up in the amxmod forums (and a request for a threaded version of the plugin - and no, not by me).

Now finally... I am not complaining about this plugin. I like this plugin. It has made my life much easier. It is a good plugin. I will continue to use this plugin. I am just saying this good plugin could use some improvement.
Old 04-17-2004 , 04:41  
Reply With Quote #19

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIR

<sarcasm>Oh that's constructive. </sarcasm> sigh....

This plugin does a fair bit more than admin_mysql. In addition to granting admin rights it checks every user at every connect to see if they're banned from the server or not... one query per every connect. Do you see the potential for lag?
GIR is specifically talking about the admin_mysql plugin. That specific plugin is solely for granting admin-rights. Therefor GIR is right when he states that if there would be a desire for multithreading, there would also be for the original admin_mysql plugin, since the only difference is an altered SQL-query.

Quote:
The actual assigning of admin privs doesn’t cause lag - I will agree to that, because from what I can tell it queries the db only once per map change (vs every time a user connects). However, the bans are a different story altogether - it queries the db on every connect.

So now... putting 2 and 2 together.... On a full server, with a reserved slot, the server maintains an open slot for players to connect to (and check if they have access to reserved slots). Throw in a couple of players who are determined to hammer the server until they get on and you have a recipe for lag.

You can measure the effects of a single such query to the database by executing the amx_find command that is included in the plugin (Did you try this before you proceeded to flame me? - I suspect not). Now maybe your sql server is right next to your cs server and is doing nothing but hosting that one database, then surely the 'issue' is less visible. But you know what, run several successive amx_find's (hold down enter in hlsw if you must ) and you'll see what I mean despite that.

The problem does exist. No, it doesn’t make the game unplayable but it does cause blips in the ping.

Furthermore this issue has been brought up in the amxmod forums (and a request for a threaded version of the plugin - and no, not by me).

Now finally... I am not complaining about this plugin. I like this plugin. It has made my life much easier. It is a good plugin. I will continue to use this plugin. I am just saying this good plugin could use some improvement.
The actual amxbans.amx plugin would probably benefit from mulithreading. I run a couple of quite popular servers, and I never had any lag caused by the amxbans plugin, allthough we allmost never use amx_find (the servers do get hammered though).

If I have the time, I will look into multi-threading.

By the way. The amxmodx version will be included in the next release. As soon as I get some more feedback.

A big thank you to GIR for saving me the trouble to 'port' the plugin to amxmodx. I had lots of requests for this, but I'm still using amxmod

Note to the devs: GIR *did* contact me about this, again, I'm glad he took the time and effort to do this.
Send a message via ICQ to YoMama
Bry
Old 04-17-2004 , 05:58  
Reply With Quote #20

id also like to point out that i run a very popular server and while ive only ever used amx_find once ive never noticed any lag that seems to coemf rom this plugin