Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[REQ/IDEA] set_task redesign?

Zenith77
Veteran Member
Old 10-11-2006 , 21:52   [REQ/IDEA] set_task redesign?

Well, the current implementation of set_task only allows for cells to be passed as parameters, which can create problems. What if you manually add paramters to the set task, basically like a list or something.

For example:
Code:
set_task(/*bla bla bla*/); set_task_addparam_cell(someVarINeedToPass, anotherOne, gaben); set_task_addparam_string("Hello world", "what");

As you can see, multiple params of different data types would add greater power to tasks. Also the natives set_task_addparam_* accept more than one argument so they don't have to repeat the native 15 million times. I didn't think to hard about this, just an idea that popped into my head. Let me know if I need to explain it more ^^.
BAILOPAN
Old 10-11-2006 , 22:34   Re: [REQ/IDEA] set_task redesign?

This isn't any different than what's currently there really. You just have to work harder to pack the data in.
Veteran Member
Old 10-12-2006 , 00:04   Re: [REQ/IDEA] set_task redesign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN View Post
This isn't any different than what's currently there really. You just have to work harder to pack the data in.
On that note,...in a few plugins I've packed about 5 variables, some ints some strings into one param array.
Send a message via AIM to Xanimos Send a message via MSN to Xanimos
PM
hello, i am pm
Old 10-12-2006 , 08:41   Re: [REQ/IDEA] set_task redesign?

You could try out the XS library's task wrappers - which do basically what you proposed.
Code:
#include <xs> // in some function: // xs_task_begin; the parameters are the same as in set_task. // If you set id to -1, the function automatically finds an unused id. xs_task_begin(interval, "func", taskid, flags, repeat); xs_task_pushint(100); // Add an int parameter xs_task_pushstr("hello"); // Add a string parameter xs_task_pushfl(5.67); // Add a float parameter xs_task_end(); // Don't forget to call this. It also returns the task id // which can be useful if you let XS automatically choose the id // Then on the topmost level (not in any function) XS_MAKE_TASKFUNC(func) {   // In functions defined using XS_MAKE_TASKFUNC, you can use   // these functions:   new id = xs_task_readid();   new paramscnt = xs_task_paramcount();   for (new i = 0; i < paramscnt; ++i)   {     new type = xs_task_paramtype(i);     if (type == xs_int)     {        new intparam = xs_task_paramint(i);        log_amxx("Param #%d: Integer; value=%d", i, intparam);     }     else if (type ==xs_float)     {       new Float:flparam = xs_task_paramfl(i);       log_amxx("Param #%d: Float; value=%f", i, flparam);     }     else if (type == xs_string)     {       new str[256];       xs_task_paramstr(i, str, 255);       log_amxx("Param #%d: String; value=%s", i, str);     }   } }
Note that it worked a long time ago, changes in the compiler could have broken it (I hope they didn't though).
Also note that these are only wrappers aroung set_task - if you are interested in the implementation and its performance implications, look into xs.inc.
Also, the number of task arguments is limited to 8 defaultly. You can change this by defining XS_TASK_MAXPARAMS to another number before including xs.inc. Same goes for XS_TASK_MAXPARAMSIZE, which specifies the maximal size of a string parameter (default: 512).
Also note that strings are stored in packed state so you cannot pass normal cell arrays where an element is not within the range of 0 <= x <= 255 . However, adding this functionality should not be too hard.
Veteran Member
Old 10-12-2006 , 09:37   Re: [REQ/IDEA] set_task redesign?

Ok, like a said just an idea.