Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

New Beta

Post New Thread Reply   

Nextra
Veteran Member
Old 07-05-2009 , 18:45   New Beta
Reply With Quote #1

There's a new CS 1.6 beta available. You can opt in as usually through the settings dialogue of your steam client.

It breaks the connect command once again and the recent hotfix introduced in xREDIRECT 1.0.3.1 does not work this time.

Seems that the next update will finally break xREDIRECT's functionality once and for all. Good bye community linking.

Just to inform you guys.
SourceMod DarkCrab
Old 07-05-2009 , 18:50   Re: New Beta
Reply With Quote #2

Ah, crap...
Now the best idea for redirecting would probably be to do a client print that says "Check your console for the redirect command" and a console print that says "connect ip:port".
Old 07-05-2009 , 19:14   Re: New Beta
Reply With Quote #3

i don't get why they valve is doing these kind of updates they are digging their own grave .
Old 07-05-2009 , 23:29   Re: New Beta
Reply With Quote #4

I asked why they do it in the forums. They say "because the community asked for it." They mean the 5 people that claimed about fake servers. Some guys thought it is funny to create a dozent fake servers from their single server and redirect all to this one.
My suggestion to create a cvar like "allow_cerverclient_commands" fall on death ears.

xOR
Veteran Member
Old 07-06-2009 , 14:30   Re: New Beta
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordekay View Post
I asked why they do it in the forums. They say "because the community asked for it." They mean the 5 people that claimed about fake servers. Some guys thought it is funny to create a dozent fake servers from their single server and redirect all to this one.
My suggestion to create a cvar like "allow_cerverclient_commands" fall on death ears.
do you have a link to this discussion? i'd like to participate there.
SourceMod Donor
Old 07-12-2009 , 19:08   Re: New Beta
Reply With Quote #6

Before complaining, look what Steam client displays to me when I request the list with Counter Strike 1.6 servers. First 15 pages (sorted by players number) contains only fake servers...

Forcing clients to execute "connect" command is an abuse and must be blocked by Valve, even if this means that one AmxModX plugin (a good one) won't work anymore. I think you don't realize that for each real server there are several fake servers which spam the list and, worse, a lot of them are using the name of more popular servers. I don't think any of you would like to see in servers list a fake server using the name of your server...
Attached Files
File Type: zip screenshots.zip (1.20 MB, 216 views)
xOR
Veteran Member
Old 07-14-2009 , 18:23   Re: New Beta
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfmark View Post
Forcing clients to execute "connect" command is an abuse and must be
...handled.
i absolutely agree.

Quote:
I think you don't realize that for each real server there are several fake servers which spam the list and[...]
i guess you're not talking to me here, as my point in the steam forums was a completely different one.

my complaint is that of all solutions for the old HLDS we always get the worst solution of all compared to newer mods from the same vendor/publisher. imho you can't even call something a "solution" when it rises 3 other issues on full purpose or at least willful negligence.

the situation so far is looking to me like:
if the server list problem would be a crying baby valve had calmed the CS:S baby down by stroking it and giving it a toy. they calmed the TF2 baby down by giving it some milk. they calmed the HL1 baby down by throwing it out of the window. BANG! calm...

and this is the point where you all seem to be happy and where i disagree. there are solutions to problems that don't make sense, are even completely absurd.

there was a problem with a feature and instead of fixing the problem they just turned the feature off?
what's next? they disable jumping because it can be abused for bunny hopping? they disable duck, so it can't be abused for russian walking? oh, and while at it: please, disable any kind of movement. the lag caused by it is different for everyone and the lag compensation sucks. it isn't fair that someone with ping 200 has less chances to hit than someone with ping 20!

the only thing i ask for is to give us a solution. the upcoming beta you think is so great isn't providing one. you have been fooled.

their last updates more than a half year ago already broke several features which haven't been fixed since then. you like screenshots of the server browser? how do you like this one then? you have been fooled.
SourceMod Donor
Old 07-14-2009 , 22:12   Re: New Beta
Reply With Quote #8

xOR, you cannot rank servers so easily. What they do for TF2 is to score servers and to delist the really bad ones, but they don't rank them. A server with a higher score is not necessarily better than a server with lower score. Think about CS 1.6, a 32 slots server (which according to current algorithm will have a high score) is better than a decent 16-20 slots server (which will score lower)? A lot of players will say no...

ps1: you can open a MOTD window for HL1 mods whenever you want for which player you want using show_motd AmxModX function, but you cannot use Steam URLs, they fixed this long time ago

ps2: every software has bugs, the one described in your screenshot was fixed since April/May 2009 updates
Nextra
Veteran Member
Old 07-15-2009 , 11:46   Re: New Beta
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
xOR, you cannot rank servers so easily. What they do for TF2 is to score servers and to delist the really bad ones, but they don't rank them. A server with a higher score is not necessarily better than a server with lower score. Think about CS 1.6, a 32 slots server (which according to current algorithm will have a high score) is better than a decent 16-20 slots server (which will score lower)? A lot of players will say no..
Incorrect. Servers are ranked from playing time. Each connecting player will give the server a -5 in score and the server will gradually gain score the longer the player is connected. It doesn't depend on the actual slot count just on how long players stay on the server. So even a 20-slot server can be above a 32 slot server unless you choose to sort by playercount ofc.
Veteran Member
Old 07-15-2009 , 14:39   Re: New Beta
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
What they do for TF2 is to score servers and to delist the really bad ones, but they don't rank them. A server with a higher score is not necessarily better than a server with lower score. Think about CS 1.6, a 32 slots server (which according to current algorithm will have a high score) is better than a decent 16-20 slots server (which will score lower)? A lot of players will say no...
additionally to what Nextra already remarked: you didn't address the home server thing. even without having new servers "sorted down", this way trash servers wouldn't get up.

Quote:
ps1: you can open a MOTD window for HL1 mods whenever you want for which player you want using show_motd AmxModX function, but you cannot use Steam URLs, they fixed this long time ago
you seem to know quite much about the topics that i am interested in right now. i'd be happy if you could check our counteraction thread, maybe you can contribute some ideas or some technical background information about what's possible and what's not.

Quote:
ps2: every software has bugs
oh cmon, could we skip the smartass stuff? you really made good points so far, no need to let captain obvious join the discussion.
Quote:
the one described in your screenshot was fixed since April/May 2009 updates
thanks for pointing out again that it was fixed more than a half year after their sloppy update broke it.

Last edited by xOR; 07-15-2009 at 15:26.