Reply With Quote #11

thanks for this , you really did helped me
Fidde
Old 03-24-2016 , 09:41   Re: Community based FastDL
Reply With Quote #12

Nice with feedback keep it coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentEvil View Post
sound like users are gonna be waiting at your mercy until you add the new content
In the beginning, yes, that's most likely what will happen.
Quote:
idk what lead you believe setting up a fastdl was hard for users, on NFO you can get a web/fastdl server for meager $3/month and even if dragging and dropping files is too hard their game servers come with automatic websync option which with one click adds all custom files(compressed too btw) to the fastdl server

It's not difficult to set up for someone that has a automatic/one-click fast-dl sync button (or have a bit of experience), but they are probably already fine and won't search for fastdl on Google anyways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness_ View Post
Suggestion: Make an upload page for trusted community owners / operators, this way they don't have to wait for you to add their content. Have them sign in through Steam to verify their identity or something. And to prevent them from messing up other files just have the PHP upload script check to see if the file exists before performing the upload.
My plan was to maybe create a upload-script for regular users and have people moderate it clicking a "yes, allow" or "no, remove" button in a web-interface. Then I thought of another solution that would be that communitys wanting to upload their files quick, could get their own folder where they could add content that would then be symlinked to the normal fast-dl so they could modify their content as they wished only effecting their own files
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuro Toxin View Post
I go through 2TB easily in one month just on fastdl content.

I hope your rich because if you host a free public service like this it will require massive bandwidths.
Cloudflare will help with bandwidth and thanks to them caching, I don't think will hit 1Gbit/s constant bandwidth ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggle View Post
Unlimited still usually have restrictions in place if you start consuming a lot of resources. I don't think anyone is trying to put you off doing it as the idea is a good one, but just making sure you know what you're getting is all.
I know there is nothing such as unlimited when it comes to storage I own the physical hardware currently hosting this and I could add servers or upgrade the disks, etc if we hit the current limit
The provider that I use claims unmetered bandwidth and I've got a copy of the site sitting on a dedicated server with OVH that I could switch to as a failover and since I own the hardware, I could simply switch provider and move around to any provider I want
Smith_EG
Old 03-24-2016 , 23:05   Re: Community based FastDL
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
sound like users are gonna be waiting at your mercy until you add the new content

idk what lead you believe setting up a fastdl was hard for users, on NFO you can get a web/fastdl server for meager $3/month and even if dragging and dropping files is too hard their game servers come with automatic websync option which with one click adds all custom files(compressed too btw) to the fastdl server

By "hard" he means the people who are too cheap to rent their own web host.
Neuro Toxin
Veteran Member
Old 03-24-2016 , 23:14   Re: Community based FastDL
Reply With Quote #14

I was also thinking...

Will SRCDS clients have issues with Cloudflare?

I know if they get the checking connection page they will wig out...
Old 03-24-2016 , 23:30   Re: Community based FastDL
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
I was also thinking...

The browser integrity check, as well as any other security feature can be disabled, either globally or with a pattern.

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].
Fidde
Old 03-25-2016 , 06:43   Re: Community based FastDL
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
I was also thinking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arne1288 View Post
The browser integrity check, as well as any other security feature can be disabled, either globally or with a pattern.
Yup
Shouldn't have any issues, I've used Cloudflare before for this for my community and their custom URL and we've had no issues. As long as you set the appropriate settings, it should work fine
These are the settings for the download url:

Last edited by Fidde; 03-25-2016 at 06:45.