Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Download Removed?

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

Otter
Old 08-10-2014 , 18:17   Re: download removed?

We can't link to external sites hosting SMAC here. But is there a law against telling people they can use a search engine to find it for themselves?

My Steam Group My Forum RFC
checkster
BANNED
Old 08-12-2014 , 14:26   Re: download removed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
We can't link to external sites hosting SMAC here. But is there a law against telling people they can use a search engine to find it for themselves?
Telling people to search is not illegal.
ReLaX
SourceMod Donor
Old 08-14-2014 , 09:08   Re: download removed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGFAT View Post
With this, you will destroy the reputation of the entire Alliedmodders Community. The only options are the end of the dispute with Kigen, or a new anticheat project.

I don't know, but what about to contact the old steambans.com admins (now a dead project too)? They developed their own anticheat plugin. It can be a solution for a new project, until they used some Kigen sourcecode too.
As far as i remember such plugin was never finished at SteamBans.com, we had a plugin (sbsrv for 1.6, sbsrc for source) which asked a database if a connecting steamid is flagged as banned.
If the steamid was flagged as banned, the server owners could decide what to do with the player, through a ConVar (let them play, kick or ban them)

Bans was mabe by players submitting demo of people that should show the use of cheat, and include a sb_status (an encrypeted version of status) in the demo.

When 3 demo review admins, and a management member had all agreed that there was use of a cheat, then the steamid would be marked as banned.

SteamBans.com was shutdown some years ago. As for now SteamBans.com redirects to another project of GameConnect (who was behind SteamBans.con), which you most know; SourceBans.com

Kind Regards
ReLaX - an old SteamBans.com admin

Last edited by ReLaX; 08-14-2014 at 09:10.
TwOzCaR
Old 08-14-2014 , 11:46   Re: download removed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReLaX View Post
As far as i remember such plugin was never finished at SteamBans.com, we had a plugin (sbsrv for 1.6, sbsrc for source) which asked a database if a connecting steamid is flagged as banned.
If the steamid was flagged as banned, the server owners could decide what to do with the player, through a ConVar (let them play, kick or ban them)

Bans was mabe by players submitting demo of people that should show the use of cheat, and include a sb_status (an encrypeted version of status) in the demo.

When 3 demo review admins, and a management member had all agreed that there was use of a cheat, then the steamid would be marked as banned.

SteamBans.com was shutdown some years ago. As for now SteamBans.com redirects to another project of GameConnect (who was behind SteamBans.con), which you most know; SourceBans.com

Kind Regards
ReLaX - an old SteamBans.com admin
they also had a Anti-Cheat like SMAC named SteamBans Guardian i know this because i worked as tester on it ;)

kindly regards SMAC Team. TwOzCaR
MFS
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-15-2014 , 19:14   Re: download removed?

What is different about version 8.5.1 from 8.5.2?
SystematicMania
Old 08-15-2014 , 20:40   Re: download removed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFS View Post
What is different about version 8.5.1 from 8.5.2?
I suspect you are referring to the one on BitBucket. If that is the case, then it is not maintained by SMAC developers.

The difference is added copyright headers and a 3rd party update url.

In conjunction with Updater, the 3rd party update url can be used for malicious purposes, such as to install backdoors onto your server.

I would stay away from it. My recommendation is to use SMAC 0.8.5.1 or 0.8.6.0.
Old 08-18-2014 , 05:09   Re: download removed?

The development was slow long before the notice, I think devs just lost interest... could we spark back some interest with donations?
Old 08-18-2014 , 07:34   Re: download removed?

A Quick look at the current .smx available from the impersonation of smac(smac 0.8.5.2), I didn't find anything suspicious in the .smx(with help from lysis)
Old 08-18-2014 , 08:51   Re: download removed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard65 View Post
A Quick look at the current .smx available from the impersonation of smac(smac 0.8.5.2), I didn't find anything suspicious in the .smx(with help from lysis)
I highly doubt Kigen would be stupid enough to distribute a malicious binary.

Also, it's a fork, no one is impersonating anyone, surprisingly that's what happens with open source software.