Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

SourceMod Auto-Updater

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

pRED*
Old 07-05-2008 , 06:25   SourceMod Auto-Updater

As of revision 2323 of the 1.1 branch, I have committed our experimental gamedata auto updater.

This lets us update new gamedata offsets centrally and they will be downloaded to your server when it restarts next. This should save us needing to provide an entire new SourceMod release after every major valve patch and spend more time working on things that matter.

I’ve also been working on ways to streamline working out the new offsets after a patch (those interested can look in the tools folder on the svn), with the intention of getting servers up and running, crash free asap.

Currently I’m just looking for people to try out the new 1.1 revisions and let me know if everything is running ok. I’ll try and find something worth changing in the gamedata files in the near future so we can see if the update completes successfully on a larger scale than my two test servers.

I've added two new sections to core.cfg for this. One lets you enable/disable the updater (enabled by default) and the other gives you the option of having SourceMod shut your server down after a successful update, in the hope that it will auto restart (disabled by default). Completed updates will otherwise take effect when your server is next restarted.

The gamedata files from the latest svn revision of SourceMod should show as all up to date. Most older gamedata files will be unrecognised and marked as unknown but the dod:s changes (revision 2332) and tf2 extension changes (revision 2317) should be in the system should you wish to test the functionality of the updater.

Any third party gamedata files or ones you have edited yourself will also be unrecognised and will show up as unknown. If you are running custom edited gamedata files you will need to update these yourself.

I've also partially implemented support for notifying server owners when a new SourceMod release is available (or new build for those running snapshots). This is currently on hold while I decide exactly how it would be most effective. The general idea would be to have multiple levels of 'urgency' for an update and varying notification based on this.

If anyone has any comments, suggestions or feedback regarding any of this please post it here or in the bug report: link
GriMz
Old 07-05-2008 , 06:41   Re: SourceMod Auto-Updater

thank you pRED, im on it right now.

I'll have you a server with this loaded up in maybe 30 minutes.

if you wish to see how it is doing it will be here: 66.151.138.47:27015

i will have 5 others to upload this too if it takes well, win and linux, the first IP is linux.

then into :

72.233.42.93:27015
72.233.39.229:27015
76.74.152.30:27015
208.100.25.110:27015
8.3.5.56:27015

Last edited by GriMz; 07-05-2008 at 06:56.
DeaD_EyE82
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-05-2008 , 07:27   Re: SourceMod Auto-Updater

Wow, nice feature. I will test it on my servers.
Send a message via ICQ to DeaD_EyE82
GriMz
Old 07-05-2008 , 08:47   Re: SourceMod Auto-Updater

have i told you today i love ya pRED?

works like a charm, BUT..

i still cant switch maps on the dust 2 server, it seems to not be crashing on map changes though, i installed, changed maps about 8 times before anyone else got back in, and no problems, looks good so far.

good job.
Old 07-05-2008 , 12:27   Re: SourceMod Auto-Updater

n00bsalad is game for this.

otto
PStar
Veteran Member
Old 07-05-2008 , 12:41   Re: SourceMod Auto-Updater

USing this on our WAR server (for now on, and if there isn't any problems it will be used on the PUB too.)
adamnp
Old 07-05-2008 , 13:05   Re: SourceMod Auto-Updater

Will get this installed on some of our servers shortly Great idea!

Send a message via AIM to adamnp Send a message via Skype™ to adamnp
iggythepop
Old 07-05-2008 , 14:42   Re: SourceMod Auto-Updater

I can say this is a great idea but also snapshot 1.1 is still having issues on tf2. I can only hope that this will work soon for TF2.
pRED*
Old 07-05-2008 , 19:13   Re: SourceMod Auto-Updater

I think 1.1 branch should work fine on tf2 now.
iggythepop
Old 07-05-2008 , 21:03   Re: SourceMod Auto-Updater

I can confirm that this snapshot build sourcemod-1.1.0-r2358 is the fix for TF2. Thank The maker. Youve made me a very happy man pRED. If the auto updater is a fix to this valve update madness you are on the top of the list. Thanks youve helped me find my mind once more. No errors at all first shot. Iggy
Closed Thread