Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Metamod/Sourcemod for TF2 Beta?

Post New Thread Reply   

Anti Christ
Old 06-22-2010 , 01:44   Re: Metamod/Sourcemod for TF2 Beta?
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bites View Post
To the first arguement, I'm not even going to bother, filesizes and modified last dates are so ridiculously easy to fake it's laughable, and I don't want to get into a whole "its fake" arguement.

If valve really didn't want people to use SFM, they'd make it clear. So far, all they've done is remove the sfm dll's. If they really DID care, they'd say loud and clear "Stop using SFM." If they did so, I'd delete it in a heartbeat, I care about what valve wants. However, regardless of emails, popular videos, and practically hundreds of tutorials on how to use it, valve still hasn't done anything about it. I'm pretty certain that they really, really don't care.
They can say anything they want, that doesn't stop people. They said stop using an achievement unlocked, and people kept doing it. The only reason they could punish people for using it, was because they got items in-game.
There is literally nothing they can do about SFM, other than remove the files (which they did) or ask people to stop. They obviously realize they can't stop people, because they did remove the files. But stopping people through just asking them is pretty much useless. They've tried that before, and it didn't work.

But since you refuse to prove you actually got those files yourself, it's pretty apparent that you pirated the TF2 beta, which means they won't help you here.
Bites
Old 06-22-2010 , 01:45   Re: Metamod/Sourcemod for TF2 Beta?
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavintlgold View Post
I would like to offer my 2 cents. Take a look at the description for the following video, made in SFM of course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_ev32oOUxk

The maker of the video emailed Robin Walker himself, and got the following response:

"Thanks for sending this to me.
Fastest Kid in the World was great, btw.

Robin."

If Robin himself doesn't mind then it certainly shouldn't be a problem to have a version of sourcemod that works with it. Is it a problem that Sourcemod modifies locked cvars and can potentially alter the game? No, because Valve doesn't care. I think Source Filmmaker is similar.
Oh wow, I didn't know about that. I guess that reinforces my argument even more, valve either doesn't care about sfm or they might even encourage people to make good videos with it.
gavintlgold
Old 06-22-2010 , 02:11   Re: Metamod/Sourcemod for TF2 Beta?
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Christ View Post
They can say anything they want, that doesn't stop people. They said stop using an achievement unlocked, and people kept doing it. The only reason they could punish people for using it, was because they got items in-game.
There is literally nothing they can do about SFM, other than remove the files (which they did) or ask people to stop. They obviously realize they can't stop people, because they did remove the files. But stopping people through just asking them is pretty much useless. They've tried that before, and it didn't work.

But since you refuse to prove you actually got those files yourself, it's pretty apparent that you pirated the TF2 beta, which means they won't help you here.
As you say yourself, they SAID they didn't want achievement unlockers. We're trying to tell you that they did not ever say that SFM was off-limits. They did remove it from the GCFs but, after using it for quite a while, I would speculate that it's more likely due to the fact that it's extremely buggy and nearly unusable compared to most filmmakers of its ilk (crashes all the time, hundreds of memory leaks, broken/undocumented features).

I have no doubts that the real version of SFM they used to make the Meet the Mac video is significantly better. Knowing Valve, they like to polish their games/software at least slightly before releasing. I think valve has said (sorry I don't have a reference but I remember hearing from many sources) that they will release SFM eventually, and most likely after all the Meet the Team videos are done.

Valve has given us the original source model files of the game, for goodness sakes, and has encouraged us to make machinimas using them. We happen to want to use the tool Valve themselves use, and it would benefit all of us greatly if Sourcemod's excellent features could help us out.
Bites
Old 06-22-2010 , 02:15   Re: Metamod/Sourcemod for TF2 Beta?
Reply With Quote #14

As a little humorous relief to this whole debate, no wonder he hates the idea, he's the antichrist
gavintlgold
Old 06-22-2010 , 02:23   Re: Metamod/Sourcemod for TF2 Beta?
Reply With Quote #15

I'd like to clarify my viewpoint a bit:

I would agree with Anti Christ if this sourcemod plugin somehow added Source Filmmaker to the current install, or made the acquiring of Beta TF2 easier (some kind of autoinstaller or something). However, we're just asking if it's possible for Sourcemod to be made with support for an older version of TF2. Do you take down older versions of sourcemod because Valve patches the game and that version would "only be available to pirates of the game"? Of course not. This isn't much different at all and I can't see how this could pose a risk towards AlliedModders or whoever makes Sourcemod in any way.
Bites
Old 06-22-2010 , 02:32   Re: Metamod/Sourcemod for TF2 Beta?
Reply With Quote #16

I really can't make my standpoint any clearer than gavint just did. I completely agree with him in every way.

Last edited by Bites; 06-22-2010 at 03:25.
pRED*
Old 06-22-2010 , 03:45   Re: Metamod/Sourcemod for TF2 Beta?
Reply With Quote #17

Anti Christ: Please stop trying to be a moderator, I don't see how he can reasonably prove he has kept the gcf files and don't overly care.

The reason it doesn't work is likely to do with different offsets in the gamedata files.

I can't see support being added for an old, unsupported version of tf2.

Your best bet is to try working through old versions of SourceMod (grab the latest download link and edit the URL by hand) and see how it goes. Disabling extensions like sdktools will remove most of the offset based code.

If you're really keen you can look into finding offsets yourself.
Bites
Old 06-22-2010 , 04:16   Re: Metamod/Sourcemod for TF2 Beta?
Reply With Quote #18

Holy thanks for the actual help, pRED. I'll look into it!

Edited: Eerrgh, editing the download for sourcemod to an older version works, but when I try to change the one for metamod source, it just gives me an error. Any ideas?

Last edited by Bites; 06-22-2010 at 04:23.
pRED*
Old 06-22-2010 , 05:09   Re: Metamod/Sourcemod for TF2 Beta?
Reply With Quote #19

Probably out of luck as far as finding the packages go then.

You can always grab the source code, update to a tagged release version and compile it yourself. Not for the faint of heart.
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 06-22-2010 , 07:34   Re: Metamod/Sourcemod for TF2 Beta?
Reply With Quote #20

MM:S 1.7.1 may work and is still on at least one of the mirrors http://sourcemod.steamfriends.com/files/