Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[suggestion] getting rid of admins by name and password

Post New Thread Reply   

Mordekay
Squirrel of Fortune
Old 11-05-2009 , 16:10   [suggestion] getting rid of admins by name and password
Reply With Quote #1

Well, i got this idea as i noticed more and more requests from non-steam users. Everytime they complain about problems with banning users that have dynamic IP, problems with their servers that are directly related to their servers beeing non-steam.
We all know that it is very annoying to say it over and over again: "non-steam = no support".
So no matter what we do: they keep comming back and asking the same questions over and over again.
I thought about it some time allready and i may have an answere how we can get rid of this "problem".
They use amxmodx to manage their server, admins, banlist and all these other things. Why can they do this? Because amxmodx provides a way for them to identify themselve with the server by nick and password, and, for some of them: IP.
If this would be removed they would not be able to do most of the stuff amxmodx is made for.
So my suggestion is simple: remove this way to identify yourself with the server. At least nickname and password, better would be IP and password too.

fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 11-05-2009 , 18:15   Re: [suggestion] getting rid of admins by name and password
Reply With Quote #2

There is a flaw in your theory (unless you can go back in time). They won't upgrade if it doesn't work.

Also, it was put in there before steam afaik.
Old 11-06-2009 , 00:41   Re: [suggestion] getting rid of admins by name and password
Reply With Quote #3

I know that it was put in before steam, and that's the reason why it is useless now. Surely, they won't upgrade if the new version does not work, but when time goes by more and more plugins will stop working with their old version. I did not saied it will be an instand end, just that we can get rid of them this way.

Hammerfallerz
Old 11-06-2009 , 07:21   Re: [suggestion] getting rid of admins by name and password
Reply With Quote #4

What about people, that like to manage their server good and not to guess every goddamn time who the heck is this guy with access (because they cant remember anyone's ID)?
I'd like to know admins via their name, rather then giving them option to come in with any nickname they want.
Mordekay
Squirrel of Fortune
Old 11-06-2009 , 07:25   Re: [suggestion] getting rid of admins by name and password
Reply With Quote #5

Ever heard of steam-friends? Seems not.
This is a nice icon next to the players nick on the scoreboard. You can identify them easily this way.

Hammerfallerz
Old 11-06-2009 , 07:32   Re: [suggestion] getting rid of admins by name and password
Reply With Quote #6

And all players (or at least old & trusted players) must add them to friend list?
Mordekay
Squirrel of Fortune
Old 11-06-2009 , 08:17   Re: [suggestion] getting rid of admins by name and password
Reply With Quote #7

No, you don't have to, but most clan-mates add others to their list. The icon is visible even if not all of them are on your friends list.

DarkGod
SourceMod DarkCrab
Old 11-06-2009 , 08:21   Re: [suggestion] getting rid of admins by name and password
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerfallerz View Post
What about people, that like to manage their server good and not to guess every goddamn time who the heck is this guy with access (because they cant remember anyone's ID)?
I'd like to know admins via their name, rather then giving them option to come in with any nickname they want.
What does it matter if some people on the server doesn't know who an admin is? If they know each other then I'm sure the admin will say hey and tell him who he is. It's really no problem.
If it really is, then I think someone made a plugin for that in Suggestions / Requests a while back.

Also, Mordekay, people would need to have 800x600+ resolution to be able to see avatars there. I know of a lot of people who play 640x480.
Squirrel of Fortune
Old 11-06-2009 , 09:19   Re: [suggestion] getting rid of admins by name and password
Reply With Quote #9

Standard resolution in these days is surely not 640*480. What monitor would be that bad to display only such a small one?
The smallest monitor i could buy currently would be 19". No one plays with a resolution under 1024*768 (normal) or 1280*720 (widescreen) on 19" monitor.
And i just checked it, and the icons appeared here with 1024*768.

ConnorMcLeod
Veteran Member
Old 11-06-2009 , 09:24   Re: [suggestion] getting rid of admins by name and password
Reply With Quote #10

I suppose BAILOPAN would never allow something that break backwards compatibility.

- my plugins -