Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[L4D2] Fast & Convenient (ADD-ON MAPS) - About!

Post New Thread Reply   

leaffan
Old 05-26-2023 , 09:58   [L4D2] Fast & Convenient (ADD-ON MAPS) - About!
Reply With Quote #1

Hello friends,

How can I quickly and easily run add-on maps on Left 4 Dead 2 servers? Currently, I am adding the add-ons to my server through FTP and then launching them. Is there a more efficient or better method that you use?

What are some easy solutions for add-on maps? Can anyone with experience provide guidance on how to quickly and easily run add-on maps on servers?

Note: And I had one more question, do any of my friends have knowledge about a method that allows the add-on map to become active without restarting the server when I upload it via FTP? Or do we always need to restart the server whenever we upload any kind of add-on map to the server?

Thank you.

Last edited by leaffan; 05-26-2023 at 10:15.
dustinandband
Old 06-04-2023 , 00:46   Re: [L4D2] Fast & Convenient (ADD-ON MAPS) - About!
Reply With Quote #2

option 1

Manage addon maps through a steam workshop collection. Have a helper script sync any updates / deletions from that one workshop collection.
This script syncs new, deleted, and out-of-date workshop items from a collection (I use to use it heavily when I hosted addon map servers):
https://github.com/dustinandband/ste...hop_downloader

Demonstration (rewritten in PHP - was a test just to show the script was in a working state).

option 2
Another option is to use rsync and sync addons from a central L4D2 server or github repo. Just keep the repo up to date and have the L4D2 server automatically sync updates from that repo periodically.
This is what my group does nowadays since there's only a few addon maps we use and we already sync server updates from a github repo every day.
Silvers
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 06-04-2023 , 05:44   Re: [L4D2] Fast & Convenient (ADD-ON MAPS) - About!
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaffan View Post
Note: And I had one more question, do any of my friends have knowledge about a method that allows the add-on map to become active without restarting the server when I upload it via FTP? Or do we always need to restart the server whenever we upload any kind of add-on map to the server?
Possibly works: unload_all_addons; update_addon_paths