Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Question

Post New Thread Reply   

Culverton smith
Old 04-21-2021 , 16:03   Question
Reply With Quote #1

Hello to all. I do not know if this is the right place for this question. My question is. I want to start programming. At first I thought I would learn C and C ++ before I started learning pawn. But I did not find a good source for learning C on the Internet. All trainings were at an introductory level and none were advanced. Please share your experiences here and introduce good resources. Thanks.
SpliN
Old 04-21-2021 , 17:05   Re: Question
Reply With Quote #2

Of Course Learn Python it is a easy and it is used in almost in everything Then Go Directly To C and C++ By the way If you know Pawn c and C++ Will Be Very Easy

That is my demonstration in programming

Last edited by SpliN; 04-21-2021 at 21:15. Reason: Misunderstand the question
Napoleon_be
Veteran Member
Old 04-21-2021 , 20:14   Re: Question
Reply With Quote #3

Most tutorials are pretty basic online... I mean, you can do a lot more with C++ or C# then what u can do with Pawn in general. If there's anything you wanna learn, i'd suggest you getting into Python, since this is the most common, and possibly most powerful lang there is. (Depending on your needs though).

Try finding some open sourced, public well known programs so you might get to figure out how they work. It's more than just a single code if you're willing to go advanced.
Veteran Member
Old 04-22-2021 , 00:31   Re: Question
Reply With Quote #4

Python is not a good way to start for learning Pawn, they are very different. If your goal is to learn Pawn, just learn Pawn. Start writing plugins and test them (do a lot of searching).

If you're going to use C, C++, Python, etc. for other projects then sure, go ahead and learn one of them but I wouldn't consider them as a necessary stepping stone to Pawn.

There will be similarities in general concepts but you can learn the general concepts in just about any programming language.

Last edited by fysiks; 04-22-2021 at 00:32.
Culverton smith
Old 04-22-2021 , 04:03   Re: Question
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_be View Post
Most tutorials are pretty basic online... I mean, you can do a lot more with C++ or C# then what u can do with Pawn in general. If there's anything you wanna learn, i'd suggest you getting into Python, since this is the most common, and possibly most powerful lang there is. (Depending on your needs though).

Try finding some open sourced, public well known programs so you might get to figure out how they work. It's more than just a single code if you're willing to go advanced.
yes I agree. it's interesting , I found better and more complete tutorials for C ++ , C # and Python. I do not know why I can not find an advanced tutorial for C language.
Culverton smith
Old 04-22-2021 , 04:07   Re: Question
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
Python is not a good way to start for learning Pawn, they are very different. If your goal is to learn Pawn, just learn Pawn. Start writing plugins and test them (do a lot of searching).

If you're going to use C, C++, Python, etc. for other projects then sure, go ahead and learn one of them but I wouldn't consider them as a necessary stepping stone to Pawn.

There will be similarities in general concepts but you can learn the general concepts in just about any programming language.
In fact, I know a little about pawn. But I would like to know how to write modules in addition to plugins. I saw many programmers here who know languages ​​like C or C ++ in addition to pawn. So my question is where can I learn C and C ++ languages ​​and I ask you to share your experiences
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 04-23-2021 , 00:23   Re: Question
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverton smith View Post
So my question is where can I learn C and C ++ languages ​​and I ask you to share your experiences
C and C++ are probably the most common programming languages on the planet (or at least probably used to be) so there are an enormous number of resource out there on the internet. So, you can find many sites that can provide you with information. Most activity here is for plugins so it's not necessarily the best place to ask about C++, also, this section of the forum is specifically for writing plugins in Pawn.

If you have specific questions about writing a module, you can post in the Module Coding section but if it's basic C/C++ people will expect that you can find that stuff online.
Old 04-26-2021 , 07:59   Re: Question
Reply With Quote #8

I found something in my mailbox the other day that might be interesting for you: https://www.quora.com/Linus-Torvalds...or-programming
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 04-26-2021 , 09:36   Re: Question
Reply With Quote #9

You need to set some goals. What do you actually want to learn and what do you want to do with what you learn?

Do you want to make plugins for your server for fun? Then start learning amxx scripting, coding snippets/tutorials section is probably the best place to start. Check these tutorials: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showth...awnProgramming.

If you want to apply the skills you will gain for other things besides just coding then you should consider learning a mainstream programming language.
python is easy, but will probably set some unrealistic expectations for you and when you move to other languages you will have a harder time adjusting.
In my opinion, and this is just an opinion, starting with C is the best way because it will teach you a lot of things that are not apparent in a language like python. You'll learn the basics of programming, you'll learn how memory works thru pointers, how to be responsible while programming and cleaning up after yourself plus you'll have to implement your own data structures and get a better feel for how they work/when to use them. It will be harder than python, that's for sure, but it will pay off.
Keep in mind that you can write C code in C++ with very few(or no) changes. C++ expands on C so it's not like you are wasting your time learning C and then having to start over with C++. If anything, C will give you a very solid base to understand the extensions that C++ provides: object oriented programming, templates, smart pointers, the standard template library, etc.

Lastly, I want to mention that learning the right way to think when trying to code and solve problems is the most important thing. You can do that with either pawn/amxx scripting or any other language, as this is language agnostic.

Last edited by HamletEagle; 04-26-2021 at 09:45.
Culverton smith
Old 04-26-2021 , 10:12   Re: Question
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamletEagle View Post
You need to set some goals. What do you actually want to learn and what do you want to do with what you learn?

Do you want to make plugins for your server for fun? Then start learning amxx scripting, coding snippets/tutorials section is probably the best place to start. Check these tutorials: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showth...awnProgramming.

If you want to apply the skills you will gain for other things besides just coding then you should consider learning a mainstream programming language.
python is easy, but will probably set some unrealistic expectations for you and when you move to other languages you will have a harder time adjusting.
In my opinion, and this is just an opinion, starting with C is the best way because it will teach you a lot of things that are not apparent in a language like python. You'll learn the basics of programming, you'll learn how memory works thru pointers, how to be responsible while programming and cleaning up after yourself plus you'll have to implement your own data structures and get a better feel for how they work/when to use them. It will be harder than python, that's for sure, but it will pay off.
Keep in mind that you can write C code in C++ with very few(or no) changes. C++ expands on C so it's not like you are wasting your time learning C and then having to start over with C++. If anything, C will give you a very solid base to understand the extensions that C++ provides: object oriented programming, templates, smart pointers, the standard template library, etc.

Lastly, I want to mention that learning the right way to think when trying to code and solve problems is the most important thing. You can do that with either pawn/amxx scripting or any other language, as this is language agnostic.
Hello. Thanks for the reply. In fact, I completely agree with you. And I think C is the best language to start with. I read a little about pawn and C. I like to start with C and then study pawn. I would like to write a module for AMX MOD X. Also plugins. I saw great programmers like you in the community and wanted to ask you for help. How do I learn C as well as you? I mean advanced. Please introduce if you know good sources. thank you