Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[TF2] Custom Weapons 3 (Beta 2)

Post New Thread Reply   

ScrapEngineer
Old 03-13-2017 , 05:09   Re: [TF2] Custom Weapons 3 (Beta 2)
Reply With Quote #91

No help? Nobody? Alright then.
BANNED
Old 03-13-2017 , 08:03   Re: [TF2] Custom Weapons 3 (Beta 2)
Reply With Quote #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapEngineer View Post
No help? Nobody? Alright then.
Try providing some actual info that we can use to help you instead of being a wise-ass.

Last edited by 404UserNotFound; 03-13-2017 at 08:03.
gabuch2
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-13-2017 , 09:17   Re: [TF2] Custom Weapons 3 (Beta 2)
Reply With Quote #93

Quote:
If weapon models are invisible to other people on your server, that is not a bug. Valve disabled visible weapons a few years ago. DO NOT POST A FIX HERE! IT IS BANNED ON ALLIEDMODS!
Why is not allowed? AFAIK Valve hasn't said anything about TF2 following GSLT guidelines.

Last edited by gabuch2; 03-13-2017 at 09:19.
404UserNotFound
BANNED
Old 03-13-2017 , 10:22   Re: [TF2] Custom Weapons 3 (Beta 2)
Reply With Quote #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shattered Heart Lynx View Post
Why is not allowed? AFAIK Valve hasn't said anything about TF2 following GSLT guidelines.
Trust me. Don't discuss the fix, or the guy who got banned for releasing it here (and then turned around and released it on Facepunch just to be a dick). Posts regarding it usually end up removed last I checked....which was like 2 years ago.

Basically, this has nothing to do with GLST guidelines. The method that the Custom TF2 Weapons server uses for their actually visible viewmodel/worldmodels for their custom weapons is something that Valve had actually broken in the April 14, 2011 patch and is the thing that the guy who got banned fixed. You'll see why he got banned further in. This feature breakage came as a result of several things that were the equivalent of shitting in Valve's wheaties, including community servers selling access to custom player models for real money. The creators of said custom player models were not receiving any monetary compensation for the use of their work, nor did they give their permission. Eventually, both sides from what I saw basically came to the agreement of "ok, we'll ask you if we can use your models on our servers", because that's the proper thing to do.

There was also fake unusual hat plugins. Those could've affected Valve's profit margins, so serverside player attachments had to go. As the undocumented change note states:
Quote:
Server-side model attachments, as used in popular mods like VS Saxton Hale Mode and Advanced Weaponiser are now entirely disabled.
Valve later reintroduced a custom player model thingme for us plugin peoples so that our stuff could continue to work. Except for custom weapon models. That was still a no-no for some odd reason...and that reason as per my memory of events is that Valve wanted to prevent players from doing shit like using weapon giving plugins for fake Saxxy's/Golden Wrenches/etc. Obviously, plugins allow for the doing of such (and every community does it still, and there's been no punishments to my knowledge) so the community as a whole just decided to not pay much attention to fixing attachments for custom weapon models.

I may have some (or a lot) of the details above wrong, so please feel free to correct me. As well, I honestly think things would be fine if someone who has the files *cough*likeme*cough* were to make them public for the purpose of visible custom weapon models for things. The only issue I have with releasing the files *cough*thatihavearcived*cough* it is that it opens up the possibility of the return of fake unusual hat plugins (though I'm willing to bet these still exist on some seedy servers out there).

Last edited by 404UserNotFound; 03-13-2017 at 10:25.
starblaster64
Old 03-13-2017 , 20:20   Re: [TF2] Custom Weapons 3 (Beta 2)
Reply With Quote #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandnewday View Post
-snip-
I have not done much extensive research into the topic myself, but I wanted to make a few points.

The CTF2W server uses a completely different method for visible worldmodels (An educated guess, but one that I'm quite confident in, given what I've observed). Afaik there are 3 methods right now, with varying degrees of complexity.

Not all serverside player attachments were restricted, but a lot were.

As for your stance on releasing the files for that particular method of creating visible items, I would advise against it not just because of the implications it may have, but because it's a very messy solution (compared to other methods I've seen at any rate).

Also the whole situation got a little more complicated with the additon of Unusual weapons. So even if you somehow managed to restrict a workaround to only work on weapons and not Hats/Miscs, there's still a potential economy related issue.

EDIT: Actually I don't really know why I felt the need to post this at all. It didn't really add anything to the conversation.

Last edited by starblaster64; 03-13-2017 at 22:20. Reason: Edit
404UserNotFound
BANNED
Old 03-13-2017 , 21:49   Re: [TF2] Custom Weapons 3 (Beta 2)
Reply With Quote #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by starblaster64 View Post
The CTF2W server uses a completely different method for visible worldmodels (An educated guess, but one that I'm quite confident in, given what I've observed). Afaik there are 3 methods right now, with varying degrees of complexity.
Last I checked it was MasterXykon's fix. I used to be on the cTF2w team and I ran a server for it. Fairly certain I know what it used. Fairly certain I've also still got the files in my scripting folder for a ctf2w server....somewhere. They're old though. I haven't gotten updated files for the latest cTF2w server. I need to poke Theray/Chdata for that so I can make a cTF2w server again.

Quote:
Not all serverside player attachments were restricted, but a lot were.
Well duh, the problematic ones were, but obviously the CTF intel attachments and normal cosmetics were left untouched.

Quote:
As for your stance on releasing the files for that particular method of creating visible items, I would advise against it not just because of the implications it may have, but because it's a very messy solution (compared to other methods I've seen at any rate).

Also the whole situation got a little more complicated with the additon of Unusual weapons. So even if you somehow managed to restrict a workaround to only work on weapons and not Hats/Miscs, there's still a potential economy related issue.
I'll go sentence by sentence;
1. My stance is anti-releasing Xykon's stuff, though most have it already. I was merely speaking of "what ifs" n (because I'm a sneaky snake). Fairly certain I gave Xykon's stuff to the cTF2w project so they could get the thing working to begin with.
2. And yes, it is a messy solution. To be fair, it's garbage. It breaks more things than it fixes. IIRC it basically tricks the game into thinking you're a bot so the engine won't block the custom weapon models from showing up. That's why you can't use new taunts, and your steam avatar doesn't show up on the player list. Last time i checked this was like 2yrs ago though, so I don't know if the guys changed their method of custom weapon models or not since then.
3. Finally yeah, unusual weapons are a problem. I do foresee Valve eventually carrying the GLST stuff over to TF2 and enforcing it hard.

Last edited by 404UserNotFound; 03-13-2017 at 21:50.
starblaster64
Old 03-13-2017 , 22:32   Re: [TF2] Custom Weapons 3 (Beta 2)
Reply With Quote #97

Quote:
-wellstructuredsnip-
I'm pretty confident Crafting's CTF2W server is using a different method, the same one as Chdata if I'm not mistaken. Then again I don't really play on CTF2W servers much in general, so maybe I'm muddling his server up with Chdata's.

I didn't really word my post very well. "Stance" was definitely the wrong word to use near the end there. The whole thing was fluff other than the Unusual weapons part really, sorry.

Last edited by starblaster64; 03-13-2017 at 22:38. Reason: Changed a word
ScrapEngineer
Old 03-14-2017 , 04:12   Re: [TF2] Custom Weapons 3 (Beta 2)
Reply With Quote #98

Quote:
Try providing some actual info that we can use to help you instead of being a wise-ass.
Well, before you insult me again, I don't have any information... I need someone to tell me how the hell flags work.
BANNED
Old 03-14-2017 , 17:00   Re: Me have big problem...
Reply With Quote #99

I wasn't belitting you, I was making a joke regarding the multiple instances of that error message appearing.

As for the other guy, we can tell you how flags work but it helps us to know what you're trying to do.

Quote:
I'm pretty confident Crafting's CTF2W server is using a different method, the same one as Chdata if I'm not mistaken. Then again I don't really play on CTF2W servers much in general, so maybe I'm muddling his server up with Chdata's.

I didn't really word my post very well. "Stance" was definitely the wrong word to use near the end there. The whole thing was fluff other than the Unusual weapons part really, sorry.
Hey, hey, no worries man. No need to apologize. I'm just replying to things. I'm completely neutral. I'm just going off of what I remember from my time on the cTF2w team which was started after I took over MasterOfTheXP's Custom Weapons 2 plugin (the predecessor to this version which was made after I left the cTF2w team). And as far as I can remember, it was Xykon's for the longest time. It probably is a different method now, but all servers ran the same package back then, which I believe had Xykon's stuff. We made sure of that. My cTF2w server was usually outdated as a result of either Crafting forgetting to give me the updated files for a week, or me not being able to update the files on my server for a week due to work, so I eventually announced my departure from the team and closed my cTF2w server down.

I'm probably not the best person to be discussing what method they use anyway, given that I've been out of the loop with cTF2w for so long.

Last edited by 404UserNotFound; 03-14-2017 at 17:38.
TheOnly8Z
Old 03-21-2017 , 02:35   Re: [TF2] Custom Weapons 3 (Beta 2)
Reply With Quote #100

So, on a fresh install with the newest server, I get this error that spams the console every few seconds when a player is loaded.

Code:
L 03/21/2017 - 14:34:31: [SM] Exception reported: Invalid index 0 (count: 0)
L 03/21/2017 - 14:34:31: [SM] Blaming: cw3.smx
L 03/21/2017 - 14:34:31: [SM] Call stack trace:
L 03/21/2017 - 14:34:31: [SM]   [0] GetArrayCell
L 03/21/2017 - 14:34:31: [SM]   [1] Line 871, C:\Users\Theray\Desktop\SteamCMD and Servers\Tf2\tf\addons\sourcemod\CW3 Dev\cw3.sp::GiveCustomWeaponByIndex
L 03/21/2017 - 14:34:31: [SM]   [2] Line 1447, C:\Users\Theray\Desktop\SteamCMD and Servers\Tf2\tf\addons\sourcemod\CW3 Dev\cw3.sp::Timer_CheckEquip
Any help is appreciated.