Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Updater

Post New Thread Reply   

Dr. McKay
Sir Dr. SourceMod Plugin Approver Esq. Ltd. M.D. PhD
Old 08-28-2012 , 20:58   Re: Updater
Reply With Quote #211

Alternatively, you can tell users what the new cvars are, and they can just manually add them at the bottom of the cfg file.

But like asherkin said, never overwrite user cfg files.
Old 08-28-2012 , 21:25   Re: Updater
Reply With Quote #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
No. You do not want to be overwriting user config files. Ever.
Just let them know there are new cvars, and that they can delete the old config after backing it up to have a new full one generated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
Alternatively, you can tell users what the new cvars are, and they can just manually add them at the bottom of the cfg file.

But like asherkin said, never overwrite user cfg files.
yes, thats why I said
Quote:
Himm, but it probably overrides users old cvar values in the cfg, right?

If only it could compare the two cfg files and don't change the cvars if they are there and append the new to the end..

The problem is server owners doesn't see the actual console (At least here they don't since they buy this service from a host and use a "panel" and ftp. I don't what is it like in your end..) so most of them aren't aware that a plugin is updated with auto updater unless they write "sm_rcon sm plugins list" and remember plugins old version and see that it is updated and come here and check what is changed.

Which also makes them unaware of the new cvars.
So it will make this plugin even cooler if you were able to append new cvars to plugins cfg file when updates add new cvars or remove cvars when they become unused.

Edit: Thinking about this, this actually should be the job of sourcemod not your plugin. But it will still be cool

Last edited by sinsic; 08-28-2012 at 21:36.
TnTSCS
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-28-2012 , 22:31   Re: Updater
Reply With Quote #213

just make sure you add notes to your updates letting them know there are new CVars... in the updater log, those notes will show up
Old 08-29-2012 , 00:06   Re: Updater
Reply With Quote #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTSCS View Post
just make sure you add notes to your updates letting them know there are new CVars... in the updater log, those notes will show up
that's my point, they will have to check logs to see updates..
Obviously, thats what I'm doing right now but as I said before it would be a nice upgrade for this plugin to simply compare the user cfg and updated cfg and add the missing cvars to user cfg..

Before I started writing plugins, I had no idea about this so I wasn't checking anything.. I just left the plugins with updater support to auto updater and didn't bother to look even in logs unless something was wrong with my server or a plugin. I managed everything with ftp, sm_rcon and panel which doesn't show anything about updates unless you happen to think "what a beautiful morning, lets check update logs"

Ofcourse this is just me and maybe not everyone is as ignorant as me

Don't get me wrong I understand what I need to do and this plugin is already awesome as it is..

Last edited by sinsic; 08-29-2012 at 00:06.
GoD-Tony
Veteran Member
Old 08-29-2012 , 08:08   Re: Updater
Reply With Quote #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsic View Post
that's my point, they will have to check logs to see updates..
Regardless of all that, newly added cvars after an official release should already be set to the most ideal setting, or mimic the behaviour of the previous version by default. Then when your users notice that new config options are available, they can begin to customize it themselves on their own time.

You don't want to push an update that will basically force servers ops to immediately perform some kind of config maintenance.
Old 08-29-2012 , 11:41   Re: Updater
Reply With Quote #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoD-Tony View Post
Regardless of all that, newly added cvars after an official release should already be set to the most ideal setting, or mimic the behavior of the previous version by default. Then when your users notice that new config options are available, they can begin to customize it themselves on their own time.

You don't want to push an update that will basically force servers ops to immediately perform some kind of config maintenance.
Well if new cvars will mimic the old behavior then they won't be needing to do a config maintenance immediately.

But when they see the update, they won't need to get the new cfg and change old cvars to their values one by one either. (I said one by one because you can't just copy old cvars and past them to new CFG. Cvars get arranged by their names so old ones won't be at the top of cfg, new and old cvars will be mixed.)

I only wrote simple plugins so have no idea if what I'm saying is simple, hard or impossible. But from the replies I'm getting, it seems it's either a stupid idea or an impossible one so I'll shut up now
Old 08-29-2012 , 23:35   Re: Updater
Reply With Quote #217

Quote:

If you have released a plugin that uses Updater, post a link to it in this thread. I'd like to take a look at it!
2/3 done. hopefully other plugin will be done soon too.
http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=186560

Last edited by sinsic; 08-29-2012 at 23:36.
snelvuur
Veteran Member
Old 08-31-2012 , 03:48   Re: Updater
Reply With Quote #218

God-tony: did you find the time to look into that issue where my plugins where links instead of files to update them correctly too.
Veteran Member
Old 09-02-2012 , 17:27   Re: Updater
Reply With Quote #219

I've noticed a bug in the kv system since i upgraded all my the binarys to snapshots.
If you have versions like 0.6 it gets read as 0.600000, thus plugin updates infinite times.
This can be fixed by using versions like 0.6.0.
I have not fully tested this, but the solution above seems to work for now.
If you do not have this error, ignore this post.

Yours sincerely
Impact

Last edited by Impact123; 09-02-2012 at 17:27.
Dr. McKay
Sir Dr. SourceMod Plugin Approver Esq. Ltd. M.D. PhD
Old 09-02-2012 , 17:37   Re: Updater
Reply With Quote #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impact123 View Post
I've noticed a bug in the kv system since i upgraded all my the binarys to snapshots.
If you have versions like 0.6 it gets read as 0.600000, thus plugin updates infinite times.
This can be fixed by using versions like 0.6.0.
I have not fully tested this, but the solution above seems to work for now.
If you do not have this error, ignore this post.

Yours sincerely
Impact
Quote:
I'm going to have to convert Updater to use SMC instead of Valve's KV parser. In the meantime you can workaround this bug by having a 3 digit version number (or anything other than a standard float). Example: 3.4.0