Plugin Version:
Plugin Category:
Statistical
Plugin Game:
Any
Plugin Dependencies:
    Servers with this Plugin:

Plugin Description:
    Logs server statistics and cvars to a MySql database.
    Old 01-21-2010 , 14:37   Database statistics
    Reply With Quote #1

DBStats

This plugin logs server statistics and configuration data to a MySql database. It is meant to be used in conjunction with some web interface that can render pretty graphs. I currently do not provide such a web interface, but may do in the future.

Database tables:

gameplay: holds basic gameplay data.
    Fields: ip (index), port (index), time (index), # clients, # in-game clients, # bots, # kills (for all clients), # bot_kills (for bots), # deaths, total connected minutes (for human clients).

teams: holds similar data as gameplay partitioned into teams, and adds team-specific columns.
    Fields: ip (index), port (index), time (index), team id (index), team name, team score, # in-game clients, # bots, # kills (for all clients), # bot_kills (for bots), # deaths, total connected minutes (for human clients).

network: holds server network statistics and averages for human clients.
    Fields: ip (index), port (index), time (index), total bytes in/out per second, avg. client dataflow in/out + standard deviation, avg. client packets in/out + standard deviation, avg. client latency in/out + standard deviation, avg. client loss in/out + standard deviation, choke.

settings: holds the value of cvars that are being monitored, as well as some important server properties that are written when the plugin loads and/or a map changes (currently "hostname", "game_folder" and "current_map").
    Fields: ip (index), port (index), time (index), property (index), value.

CVars:

dbstats (default: 1). Enable/disable DBStats plugin.

dbstats_cvars (default: "hostname, sv_cheats"). List of CVars to monitor and log whenever their value changes.

dbstats_gameplay (default: 600). Enable logging server gameplay data (# of clients, kills, deaths, etc). 0=off, anything else is the number of seconds between samples.

dbstats_teams (default: 600). Enable logging server gameplay data per team (team score, # of clients, # of bots, etc). 0=off, anything else is the number of seconds between samples.

dbstats_network (default: 600). Enable logging server network data (avg ping to clients, packet loss, choke, etc). 0=off, anything else is the number of seconds between samples.

dbstats_log_empty (default: 0). Enable/disable logging when the server has 0 human players (to save space).

Installation:

• Create a database and a user that can access it.
    • Using phpMyAdmin or a similar tool, execute the attached dbstats.sql.txt SQL file; it will create the necessary tables.
    • Edit addons/sourcemod/configs/databases.cfg, add an entry with your database details, e.g.:
      "dbstats"
      {
      "driver" "mysql"
      "host" "localhost"
      "database" "dbstats"
      "user" "dbstats"
      "pass" "dbstats"
      }
    • Put the plugin in your addons/sourcemod/plugins directory

Notes:

• Using the default settings, and assuming your server is active half of the day, you should get less than 50mb worth of data per server per year.
    • Writes to the database are performed asynchronously and should hopefully not affect server performance, even if the database resides on a distant machine.
    • Tested under CS:S, but should work on all games.

Todo:

(I will probably never get around to doing all of these, if someone's willing to contribute please let me know).
    • Provide web interface
    • Try to measure low-level gameplay "fluidity" (server tick/fps jitter); needed to detect when a server seems to function ok in terms of tick rate & choke, but in practice players complain about not being able to hit and a general choppy feeling, which may be caused by too many server processes sharing a limited number of CPU cores/memory bandwidth, or when a server wasn't restarted for too long (requires writing a sourcemod extension).
    • Measure OS-level performance (swapping, disk I/O, RAM usage, CPU cores usage), to correlate problems in servers with the machine "health". Requires an external service that gathers data and writes it directly to the database.
    • Enable triggering high-frequency sampling based on rules (e.g. if packet loss > 2% then sample network data every second for 1 minute, then return to normal for another hour). This can be used to analyse exceptional events at a higher granularity.
    • Auto-erase olds records.
    Attached Files
    File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (dbstats.sp - 1653 views - 15.4 KB)
    File Type: txt dbstats.sql.txt (3.1 KB, 700 views)

Last edited by mad_hamster; 01-21-2010 at 18:23.
    HiJacker
    Old 01-23-2010 , 13:26   Re: Database statistics
    Reply With Quote #2

Looks interesting, but I have a question, how would it work if I set it on my servers (and it will collect data into one db) ? (16)
    blissend
    Old 02-10-2010 , 12:44   Re: Database statistics
    Reply With Quote #3

Cool. I've only just begun a similar project on my own servers but it doesn't gather nearly as much data as yours. It does however use a different method. Instead of a sourcemod I use php cronjob to get data via ssh/rcon (php classes) which updates some graphs every minute. Anyway I'm going to give this mod a whirl. If I make it draw some graphs for a web frontend I'll be sure to share.
    HiJacker
    Old 02-13-2010 , 08:24   Re: Database statistics
    Reply With Quote #4

Interesting, When I first started my servers, i had idea to remake Psychostats Overview page to make it like Network Usage, Total Players etc. graphs, but after time I gave it up because I had no time.