Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Is a log file conversion tool to XML something needed?

Post New Thread Reply   

Phalck
Old 02-16-2005 , 07:52   Is a log file conversion tool to XML something needed?
Reply With Quote #1

I have been working on a perl-script that converts the native HL Source server log file to an XML compliant file, but now that it is first released I have doubts of its usefulness.

My initial thoughts were that it would be neat if the log files were in XML format so that you can search, sort, etc the easily in realtime on a website. This can be coded in a mix between PHP and XSLT.

But I realized that there are so many good statistical type plugins out there already and another one that only provides the raw data (no presentation) is not really needed.

I just wanted to hear some thoughts before I close the project. Is there a reason for me to continue coding? Are there someone out there that can see a need for something like this?

Thanks for you input,
/Matt

(http://skormod.no-ip.com/index.php?o...=56&?topic=8.0)
Phalck
Old 02-17-2005 , 10:11  
Reply With Quote #2

Reading through the forums I believe that I might have found a use for my little script =] I revitilized myself a little bit. Whoho ... skormod is not dead ... I know what to do now.

My thought with skormod is now to provide an accurate event-by-event and round-by-round description of a clan match and have it in a format that it could be displayed on a web page. Imagine having a ladder or an official clan match and not needing to report the score anywhere, plus having the whole match available as a transcript on a web page, all done automatically by this script.

The transcript would include who grabbed the bomb at what time. Who killed who with what weapon and who planted the bomb and or started a defuse etc.

The transcript would read the XML data and fill in the blanks of relevant template sentences. For instance there might be 3 template sentences for a kill by the Terrorists. The program randomly selects one template and fills in the blanks. For example:

Code:
<event description="kill" time="20:19:34" date="02/12/2005">
                        <player description="attacker">
                                <name>[TFT]Zenith_J_Coke</name>
                                <team>TERRORIST</team>
                                <playerID>422</playerID>
                                <steamID>STEAM_0:X:XXXXXX</steamID>
                        </player>
                        <player description="victim">
                                <name>-=]SaD[=-Sw33t-K!LleR</name>
                                <team>CT</team>
                                <playerID>415</playerID>
                                <steamID>STEAM_0:X:XXXXXX</steamID>
                        </player>
                        <attack>
                                <weapon>awp</weapon>
                        </attack>
                </event>
                <event description="Terrorists_Win" time="20:19:34" date="02/12/2005">
                        <score team="CT" score="0" />
                        <score team="T" score="4" />
                </event>
Could become:

"Only 22 seconds after his last kill [TFT]Zenith_J_Coke on the Terrorist team goes ahead and nails the -=]SaD[=-Sw33t-K!LleR with his awp. With this [TFT]Zenith_J_Coke wins the round for the terrorists and the score is now 4 to 0 in the terrorists favor."

I have now created the HLXML data standard for Counter-Strike and also written the core perl script that read the log file and write the output.

What is lacking is the presentation layer (including the transcript logic)and I was thinking about doing it as a MAMBO component.

I will begin coding of this this weekend.

/Matt