Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Looking 4 L$D2 Dedicated Server Scripts

Post New Thread Reply   

Deathrow Bo Dean
Old 06-19-2021 , 16:03   Looking 4 L$D2 Dedicated Server Scripts
Reply With Quote #1

Hello All; I've haven't ran my L4dead2 dedicated server for over a year so I updated it on 16/2021. However, it gave me a "Can't load steam Content error". Last night I re reloaded the files again and was able to launch my server.
Here is the problem I'm having:
1. I have a Steam Group ID and all of that. It is listed just as it always has been on the Steam Community site. However even when the server say's Steam is acitvated. I don't see it listed on the in-game Campaign Steam Group server list like it used to be a year ago. Can someone please send me a link to where I can download a L4d2 server script that works. I running a Windows dedicated server.

2. I'd also like a working L4d2 startup script for a Windows dedicated server.
Thank's DBD
Dragokas
Veteran Member
Old 06-22-2021 , 16:06   Re: Looking 4 L$D2 Dedicated Server Scripts
Reply With Quote #2

Here is a working script: [TUT] SourcePawn Scripting - Tips, Basics to Advanced (Section 2. Server Setup)
Deathrow Bo Dean
Old 06-24-2021 , 15:54   Re: Looking 4 L$D2 Dedicated Server Scripts
Reply With Quote #3

Thank's Dragonkas for the link to the info. However, all I'm looking for is the script that will correctly start up a Windows 10 L4d2 dedicated server. Some call it a server launcher script with a .bat file extension. then I can make a shortcut to it and place it on my Win 10 desktop. I've ran my L4d2 server for many years and it seem the last update will launch and get activated in the Steam network but I can't connect to it. Or, see it listed on the L4D2 Steam Group server board. I'm looking for a start up script that is currently running on Steam after the last 06/15/2021 update.
Dragokas
Veteran Member
Old 06-24-2021 , 17:40   Re: Looking 4 L$D2 Dedicated Server Scripts
Reply With Quote #4

The launch options are not changed since.
I'm using a launcher script similar to that topic and I have no problems.

In order to appear in the list, you should:
- update your server firstly
- add a firewall rule to allow incoming/outcoming connections to your game port.
- setup port forwarding rule in your router.

This is what I'm using for downloading/updating:
PHP Code:
@echo off 

set 
"STEAM=D:\dev\SteamCMD"
set "GAME_DIR=V:\server\l4d2"
set "APP_ID=222860"

set "STEAM_USERNAME=anonymous"
set "STEAM_PASSWORD="

md "%GAME_DIR%"
cd /"%STEAM%"
start "" steamcmd.exe +login "%STEAM_USERNAME%" "%STEAM_PASSWORD%" +force_install_dir "%GAME_DIR%" +app_update %APP_IDvalidate 
And this is for launching server and client simultaneously:
PHP Code:
ECHO OFF
CLS

SET 
"GAME_EXE=srcds.exe -debug -condebug -console -game left4dead2 +sv_pure 1 +map c1m1_hotel +hostport 27016 +clientport 27006 -insecure"
SET "GAME_DIR=V:\server\l4d2\"

start "" "
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 550 -dev -console -sw +sv_lan 1 -novid +connect 192.168.31.4:27016

timeout /t 3

START "" /min %GAME_DIR%%GAME_EXE% 
In your case you have to remove -insecure option.

If you set everything correctly, including group id convar, other people should also see it.
Last line in the console should indicate your server connected successfully.
Try also to give your external IP to somebody for checking is it possible to connect via "connect ip:port" command directly.

Last edited by Dragokas; 06-24-2021 at 17:43.
Deathrow Bo Dean
Old 06-26-2021 , 13:25   Re: Looking 4 L$D2 Dedicated Server Scripts
Reply With Quote #5

Thank's for the above. Do I add these lines to my server.cfg ? Or where do I add them? I have an Aries Surfboard router with TCP and UDP both set to 27015-27950.. My Counter Strike dedicated server is located on the same router wth the same ports. It appears an the CSS server list with no problems.
TomL.
Veteran Member
Old 06-26-2021 , 13:37   Re: Looking 4 L$D2 Dedicated Server Scripts
Reply With Quote #6

You create 2 separate .bat files.
One for downloading/updating the server file and another one for starting the server and game client.

Maybe you want to use a tool like seDirector to manage the game server (files).

Last edited by TomL.; 06-26-2021 at 13:37.
Deathrow Bo Dean
Old 06-27-2021 , 13:43   Re: Looking 4 L$D2 Dedicated Server Scripts
Reply With Quote #7

OK; I think I sort of understand just what you mean. My system is set up this way. I use a Windows 8.1 Desktop computer to host the L4D2 game. That desktop computer is using a cable modem with just a Comcast internet connection. That Comcast cable has no TV or Telephone connections. It has an ip address that I use when I launch the server. That connection uses a Aries Surfboard router. After I launch this server I see that it is activated on the Steam network. I can change a map OK and check MM and SM versions. I use Steam CMD to get that L4D2 dedicated server file.
I use separate desktop computer running Windows 10 connected to a AT&T DSL 2Wire router This is the computer that is my personal computer that has all my steam games that I play on it. I admin L4D2, Counter Strike, Killing Floor and other games with it. I use this computer to connect to the games I host from the computer connected to Comcast.
However, L4D2 is the only game that I can't find or even connect to. I've even tried to connect as a Lan or tried to connect with my host id. I can only connect tp the L4D2 splash page of the map group but the game does not load. I can connect to L4D2 and play games that are listed on the Community Servers Group OK.
Which of the above scrips should I use to correctly see the game I've launched from the Comcast cable dedicated server?
Deathrow Bo Dean
Old 06-28-2021 , 15:10   Re: Looking 4 L$D2 Dedicated Server Scripts
Reply With Quote #8

Maybe it will help matters along if I post my L4D2 server start up file below.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I use this one to launch my Linux L4D2 Dedicated Server. It is basically the same as the Windows except for the ./ at the begging.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
./srcds_run l4d2 +maxplayers 8 +hostip 73.223.198.166 _hostport 27017 +map c2m1_highway coop -secure exec server.cfg -debug
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please correct or add to it just what incorrect or missing

Note: I usally use port 27015 or 27016. Last night I connected to a working Steam Group server that was using 27017 and tried to use that port. However, I still could not see my Dedicated server listed after changing to that port.
Help still needed.

Last edited by Deathrow Bo Dean; 06-28-2021 at 15:19.