Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

IM From Gabe

Post New Thread Reply   

P4rD0nM3
Veteran Member
Old 11-10-2011 , 18:41   IM From Gabe
Reply With Quote #1

Hey guys, I got this email from Doug from Valve so we could send it out earlier to the public.

Dear Steam Users and Steam Forum Users,

Our Steam forums were defaced on the evening of Sunday, November 6. We began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam forums.

We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating.

We don't have evidence of credit card misuse at this time. Nonetheless you should watch your credit card activity and statements closely.

While we only know of a few forum accounts that have been compromised, all forum users will be required to change their passwords the next time they login. If you have used your Steam forum password on other accounts you should change those passwords as well.

We do not know of any compromised Steam accounts, so we are not planning to force a change of Steam account passwords (which are separate from forum passwords). However, it wouldn't be a bad idea to change that as well, especially if it is the same as your Steam forum account password.

We will reopen the forums as soon as we can.

I am truly sorry this happened, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Gabe.

Source

If you just saw this now then the Steam forum MTOD's probably changed and most of the Steam users should've gotten the email already.
Veteran Member
Old 11-10-2011 , 18:54   Re: IM From Gabe
Reply With Quote #2

And in case you want to change your password right away: eventhough you can't open the UserCP, you can still have your password reset by following the link that is shown after a failed attempt to login.
Veteran Member
Old 11-10-2011 , 22:25   Re: IM From Gabe
Reply With Quote #3

Never received an e-mail nor did am I able to change my password . . .
Old 11-10-2011 , 22:29   Re: IM From Gabe
Reply With Quote #4

Upon restarting Steam, you should get a notice. It's also posted here for now: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/

My previous post about changing your password only applies to your forum account, if you have one.