Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Download Removed?

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

pubhero
Veteran Member
Old 08-07-2014 , 06:33   Re: download removed?

Nobody not working on new versions from the SMAC? More and more new aimbots undetected by (can bypassing) the "old" SMAC. Thanks for you loser Kigen and your shitty, dead KAC project. All online players will sucking your egoism. Really thank you. Pfff.

Last edited by pubhero; 08-07-2014 at 06:39.
Otter
Old 08-07-2014 , 11:55   Re: download removed?

From what I can tell, the KAC project seems to be just a shared banlist that SMAC reported to. But shared banlists are easy, no Kigen-code required. There are already plugins that read VAC status, the SteamRep database, and Sourcebans. It wouldn't be difficult to make a plugin that shares a global banlist with other servers.

My Steam Group My Forum RFC
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 08-07-2014 , 11:58   Re: download removed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
From what I can tell, the KAC project seems to be just a shared banlist that SMAC reported to. But shared banlists are easy, no Kigen-code required. There are already plugins that read VAC status, the SteamRep database, and Sourcebans. It wouldn't be difficult to make a plugin that shares a global banlist with other servers.
KAC is the basis for SMAC, SMAC is a derivative work of it (and is thus encumbered by it's copyright).
The current maintainers of SMAC don't wish to acknowledge that, hence this problem.
Old 08-07-2014 , 12:22   Re: download removed?

Ah, I see. I just don't see why he would be such an ass about it. It doesn't look like he gave the guys very long to add the copyright notice back on, even though they should have done it right quick anyway.

pubhero
Veteran Member
Old 08-07-2014 , 13:35   Re: download removed?

asherkin.
This copyright applies worldwide or just in the United States?
It seems to me a strange thing to talk about copyright, if the program itself is based on open source code.

Last edited by pubhero; 08-07-2014 at 13:38.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 08-07-2014 , 13:45   Re: download removed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubhero View Post
asherkin.
This copyright applies worldwide or just in the United States?
It seems to me a strange thing to talk about copyright, if the program itself is based on open source code.
Worldwide (well, anywhere that's signed the Berne convention, which is pretty much every country).
Open-source licensing only works because of copyright law, licenses define the rights granted by the copyright holders.
Old 08-07-2014 , 16:03   Re: download removed?

well there is so little kac code left that its unbelievable it have had such an impact like it have now for all gamers / server administrators etc.

not to mention so many new features which never have existed in kac.

we build-ed something totally new on something that was great once, but lacked of updating, which is crucial for an working anti cheat.

now we can't do much but to re add the little headers for the minimum of a existing project, which now is dead. and it killed ours too unfortunately

i deeply regret this situation since i was involved in kac and smac.

kindly regards SMAC Team. TwOzCaR

Last edited by TwOzCaR; 08-07-2014 at 16:05.
pubhero
Veteran Member
Old 08-08-2014 , 05:47   Re: download removed?

Give for him (Kigen) what he want. Or is this not possible? At all what he want?

Last edited by pubhero; 08-08-2014 at 05:52.
Otter
Old 08-08-2014 , 12:23   Re: download removed?

It sounds like they did what he asked and he's still being an asshole, from what I've heard.

allienaded
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-08-2014 , 17:03   Re: download removed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
It sounds like they did what he asked and he's still being an asshole, from what I've heard.
They added the GPL txt files back as soon as kigen notified them about them missing but that wasn't enough for him he wanted every .sp file to include a header that stated his name and company so yeah basically him being an ass.

https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=228625

side note: Kigen wasn't banned because of this but because he also filed a DMCA report against the whole alliedmods forum risking the whole site being taken down

Last edited by allienaded; 08-08-2014 at 17:09. Reason: typo
Closed Thread