Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[TUTORIAL] [L4D] Many-Player Survival/Coop/Versus

Post New Thread Reply   

HL-SDK
Old 05-17-2009 , 22:54   [TUTORIAL] [L4D] Many-Player Survival/Coop/Versus
Reply With Quote #1

This is copied from l4dmods forum. I wrote it. If it does not belong here, feel free to prune it and throw it in the trash. I trust the sourcemod crowd is sharp enough to skip to step 3 or 4 and write their own .cfgs

Getting started...
Admins should have these options with sm_execcfg or adminmenu -> server -> execute cfg (needs to be added to cfg list).
I personally had luck with the chat command "/execcfg <filename>"

This is highly customizable, I prefer to run 5v5 versus. In that case to spawn the infected bots I use a modified version of: http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=84681 that does not show log messages.
This is beta, no guarantees are made, report bugs/issues here. This procedure was tested on 32-bit winXP steam dedicated server with sourcemod 1.2.0 and all plugins/extensions posted.
Hunterbrute please take no offence, you inspired me earlier this month with your infected gameplay on versus. I got a similar result by going to VS, switching teams then going to survival and triggering the event. The whole thing was pretty complicated, I'll admit.

---
EDIT

After much testing, the best way to switch between modes is sending /execcfg sourcemod/<gamemode>.cfg. This may/may not disconnect extra players. Let me know what kind of results you get and happy hunting!
The only console spam I have seen is from the plugin that creates bots (2 of them). I'll have a look at taking care of that, but I might not, considering it is just commenting out a .sp file

Link to that modified version is here: http://forums.alliedmods.net/showpos...75&postcount=9

---Updated files with l4d_maxplayers <= 18
---You will find 10 different configuration files in the .zip archive.
Attached Files
File Type: zip L4D_CFG.zip (4.4 KB, 2195 views)

Last edited by HL-SDK; 05-19-2009 at 13:52. Reason: Updates + Attachments
Downtown1
Veteran Member
Old 05-18-2009 , 00:57   Re: [TUTORIAL] [L4D] 12-Player Survival
Reply With Quote #2

Quick question, if it's 12 player survival then why did you set maxplayers to 18? .

Quote:
sm_cvar sv_visiblemaxplayers 18 //I set to maxplayers
Please, please, remove this or set it to -1. I worked hard to make my extension report the right amount of players without using this command. The right way to use sv_visiblemaxplayers would be with a reserved slots plugin (i.e. l4d_maxplayers 13, sv_maxvisibleplayers 12), not to do what the extension already does.

Quote:
sm_cvar z_max_player_zombies 4 //Stock
sm_cvar survivor_limit 4 //Stock
Minor nitpick: I would prefer sm_resetcvar here.

Last edited by Downtown1; 05-18-2009 at 00:59.
HL-SDK
Old 05-18-2009 , 09:48   Re: [TUTORIAL] [L4D] 12-Player Survival
Reply With Quote #3

Thank you for letting me know that that was not needed. I changed the maximum players in survival up so high because each infected bot takes up a player slot. I ran into problems with 14 survivors and 18 players, particularly the console was complaining that it couldn't create a hunter and a tank. The limit was reduced to 12, allowing up to 6 special infected at a time.

These are only results of my testing, if anyone has suggestions or corrections, they are welcomed.
ivailosp
Old 05-18-2009 , 10:58   Re: [TUTORIAL] [L4D] 12-Player Survival
Reply With Quote #4

in surv mode si can be up-to 4 smokers, 4 hunters and 2 tanks :} so you need more free slots
HL-SDK
Old 05-18-2009 , 11:49   Re: [TUTORIAL] [L4D] 12-Player Survival
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivailosp View Post
in surv mode si can be up-to 4 smokers, 4 hunters and 2 tanks :} so you need more free slots
Do you know what usually spawns in coop on "impossible"? I think I only saw one special at a time which doesn't make too much sense.
Downtown1
Veteran Member
Old 05-18-2009 , 12:35   Re: [TUTORIAL] [L4D] 12-Player Survival
Reply With Quote #6

Hi, I look at your 12surv.cfg again.

Quote:
sm_cvar l4d_maxplayers 22
Will not work. Only valid values are between -1 and MaxClients (which is 1 ... so -1 and 18. Anything else it will get reset to the old value. This is because if you had more than 18 clients the game would just crash since the game limits it to a maximum of 18 currently.

Furthermore, you do not need to set it as #survivors+#infected. l4d_maxplayers is ONLY for human players. Bots safely ignore this value, so set it the same as you would set the survivor_limit in the case where all humans are playing survivor.

Once again though, you are trying to get 22 clients into the game. That will just not work AFAIK since it's currently hardcoded to be 18 by Valve. So either you allow less SI to spawn (less hunters, more tanks ) or you just play with 8 survivors (8 sur + 10 inf = 18 clients total).
Hunterbrute
Old 05-18-2009 , 17:07   Re: [TUTORIAL] [L4D] Many-Player Survival/Coop/Versus
Reply With Quote #7

Downtown is correct, with 16 players the SI stop spawning in larger groups and the survivor team becomes over powered.
Number Six
Old 05-19-2009 , 00:01   Re: [TUTORIAL] [L4D] Many-Player Survival/Coop/Versus
Reply With Quote #8

Lobby started VS > playing > finish campagn > switch .cfg survival x8 but server blocked on versus mode (no possibility change with cvar and others method , lobby reservation think (?)) , BUT THE GOOD NEWS .... ! ^^ , people joining with no problem !! OK they are surprised (its no versus question) , but possibly joined without problem the survival x8 started versus , just the lobby reservation blocked mod the problem .

"This is highly customizable, I prefer to run 5v5 versus. In that case to spawn the infected bots I use a modified version of: http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=84681 that does not show log messages."
Interest !!! Where where ???? lol

Last edited by Number Six; 05-19-2009 at 01:23.
HL-SDK
Old 05-19-2009 , 13:43   Re: [TUTORIAL] [L4D] Many-Player Survival/Coop/Versus
Reply With Quote #9

I just commented out the logging parts. I want to link to the original plugins pages as much as possible since they may update. Chances are, I will not update with them. Either way, this should reduce console spam at times.

I do not know how starting a game from lobby works but I am glad you had some success. You mentioned not being able to do versus. Check that mp_gamemode changes to versus, then load up a versus map and check that the z_max_player_zombies and survivor_limit are at the right numbers.

The way I connect is set sv_allow_lobby_connect_only to 0 and just direct connect.
Attached Files
File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (l4dvsinfectedbots.sp - 1427 views - 29.6 KB)
Downtown1
Veteran Member
Old 05-19-2009 , 15:57   Re: [TUTORIAL] [L4D] Many-Player Survival/Coop/Versus
Reply With Quote #10

There is also at least one plugin that is maintained and supports 8v8 versus :

L4D Super Versus - http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=830069

Might be a worthwhile addition.