Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Downtime

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

BAILOPAN
Old 04-04-2004 , 20:47   Downtime

Well, this sucks.

At 120AM last night the server's motherboard had some sort of catastrophic failure. Big Brother (bb.tcwonline.org) is dead. This server housed, besides about 15 hosts, 8 CVS repositories, and AMX Mod X, all of my personal files and my compile farm for packaging.

I took the machine from the lab around 2PM and no data is lost (thankfully) but the actual machine itself is completely dead (CPU+mboard, Gigabyte 7VXRP, AMD XP 2400+).
In the meantime to get AMXx forums back up I have sacrified my personal computer by throwing the BB drives into it. I can't have this as a permanent solution because now I have no computer.

So, I'll get to the point: I need to rebuild the server, but I'm broke. If you would like to help you can click here to donate to AMXx, and I'll use the funds to buy new equipment. All I need is a cheap AMD board or something for now, but if I get enough, I'll get an Opteron board so we can go full speed ahead with 64bit versions. I'll talk with Sniperbeamer about setting up some sort of incentive for donors (i.e. special forum privileges or recoginition or something).

If you have any suggestions as to what hardware to get, please post them here. Also, post suggestions for the name of the next server ;]

Thanks, and sorry for the downtime.

*Edit: No, I don't want hosting. I need to have the security of having physical and total unobstructed root access to a server so I have complete control over it. Don't offer me web hosting please.
Veteran Member
Old 04-04-2004 , 21:19  

how did the failure happen?
Old 04-04-2004 , 21:21   Hrm

Bail: As soon as I can I will donate..
I just missed a bunch of work from being sick but soon I would be glad to donate
Send a message via MSN to MagicShot Send a message via Yahoo to MagicShot
QwertyAccess
Veteran Member
Old 04-04-2004 , 21:27  

the forums seemed quiet for a while lol.
Old 04-04-2004 , 21:47  

Good luck to ya...

Vic/DT
Old 04-04-2004 , 22:14  

That sucks, I feel for you. But I've donated. I love Amx X and I will do what I can to help you all out. Thanks again for keeping "AMX" x alive and kicking.
Greentryst
WHAT MORE DO THEY WANT?!
Old 04-04-2004 , 22:19  

I would donate except ... well, you know.
Send a message via ICQ to Greentryst Send a message via AIM to Greentryst Send a message via MSN to Greentryst Send a message via Yahoo to Greentryst Send a message via Skype™ to Greentryst
INFaMouS
Old 04-04-2004 , 22:32  

I seriously wish I could donate, but I have no money. Hey, will you take my little brother?!
CS SERVER: 209.123.8.130:27017!
Send a message via AIM to INFaMouS
Freecode
Never Fall Asleep
Old 04-04-2004 , 22:40  

i will get to work on some donation money.
Just hold on gotta get this big white board and write some things on it and just stand outside by street see if someone drops some pennies.

lol jk
ill donate as soon as possible.
Greentryst
WHAT MORE DO THEY WANT?!
Old 04-04-2004 , 22:47  

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFaMouS
I seriously wish I could donate, but I have no money. Hey, will you take my little brother?!
He already has a surplus of those.
Send a message via ICQ to Greentryst Send a message via AIM to Greentryst Send a message via MSN to Greentryst Send a message via Yahoo to Greentryst Send a message via Skype™ to Greentryst
Closed Thread