Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

New Feature - Support for functions returning references

Post New Thread Reply   

PM
hello, i am pm
Old 08-09-2006 , 04:00   New Feature - Support for functions returning references
Reply With Quote #1

Hello!

Today I've added support for functions which return references. This is almost completly transparent ie. you use SH_DECL_HOOK* normally, then you use SH_ADD_HOOK_* normally, etc.

If you want to use it, you only need to download the newest sourcehook.h from svn.

I've tested it with const and non-const references, many hooks, recalls, even callclasses and META_RESULT_ORIG_RET and META_RESULT_OVERRIDE_RET work (see testrefret.cpp in svn).

There's one special new thing:
If you want to return MRES_IGNORED or MRES_HANDLED from a hook handler for a function returning a reference, you'd have to use RETURN_META_VALUE normally; the return value gets ignored so you can pass in anything, but you usually don't have a spare variable lying around to return. So you can (=should) use RETURN_META_NOREF instead:
RETURN_META_NOREF(MRES_IGNORED, int&); works like RETURN_META_VALUE but returns some garbage which you don't have to care about

If you're interested in how I implemented all this (you might have heard that I was planning a separate SH_DECL_* macro set; luckily I didn't have to go that far), read sourcehook.hxx around line 307. Actually, if you're too lazy to look it up, I'll copy it here:
Quote:
// How it works:
// SH_SETUPCALLS doesn't use plain rettype to store the temporary return values (plugin ret, orig ret,
// override ret) anymore; instead, it uses SourceHook::ReferenceCarrier<rettype>::type
// this is typedefed to the original rettype normally, but if the rettype is a reference, it's a special class
// which stores the reference as a pointer, and implements constructors, operator= and a conversion operator.
// special cases were needed for getoverrideret / getorigret; these are implemented through the
// SourceHook::MacroRefHelpers structs.
// Furthermore, SetOverrideRet had to be changed a bit; see SourceHook::OverrideFunctor somewhere down in this file.
Anyway, maybe you want to see an example:

Code:
    struct MyTest
    {
        int m_Var;

virtual int & Func(int hello)
        {
            m_Var = hello;
            return m_Var;
        }
    };

int &MyPostHook(int a)
    {
        static int m_MyVar_ThreeExclamationMarks = 50;

// increment the orig ret twice
        META_RESULT_ORIG_RET(int&) += 2;

// override with myvar
        RETURN_META_VALUE(MRES_OVERRIDE, m_MyVar_ThreeExclamationMarks);
    }

SH_DECL_HOOK1(MyTest, Func, SH_NOATTRIB, 0, int&, int);

void TheTest()
    {
        MyTest test;

// call through a pointer so that the compiler doesn't remove the virtal function lookup
        MyTest *pTest = &test;

int &hello1 = pTest->Func(100);
        printf("without hook: test.m_Var is %d  --- hello is %d\n", test.m_Var, hello1);

SH_ADD_HOOK_STATICFUNC(MyTest, Func, pTest, MyPostHook, true);

int &hello2 = pTest->Func(100);
        printf("with hook: test.m_Var is %d  --- hello is %d\n", test.m_Var, hello2);
    }
I've just run it and this is the output:
Quote:
without hook: test.m_Var is 100 --- hello is 100
with hook: test.m_Var is 102 --- hello is 50
So, as you can see, it seems to work!

What still needs to be done:
-- Someone add it to the wiki XD

So, have fun with it!

PS: I'm leaving for vacation for 2 weeks so if something doesn't work, complain here, I'll fix it when I'm back XD (though I've tested it pretty extensively on both MSVC and GCC). Merci.

Last edited by PM; 08-11-2006 at 09:48.
BAILOPAN
Old 08-09-2006 , 10:24   Re: New Feature - Support for functions returning references
Reply With Quote #2

Thanks for this addition, PM. Have fun on vacation!
Veteran Member
Old 08-09-2006 , 11:28   Re: New Feature - Support for functions returning references
Reply With Quote #3

Thanks PM!

...now if I could only remember what I was trying to hook that was returning a reference...

PS: nice 1337 karma
c0ldfyr3
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-10-2006 , 03:53   Re: New Feature - Support for functions returning references
Reply With Quote #4

Vacation again? You bumb :\

Thanks for the update as always =)